[PICS] A few more outdoor portraits :) - comments welcome!

Discussion in 'Photography & Video' started by Gibbon, Jan 23, 2005.

1. Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Jab and I went along to another Brisbane Camera Group outdoor portrait workshop last weekend, and I've finally got around to uploading a few photos. Unfortunately the weather was against us - it was an incredibly bright sunny day (36C and about 500% humidity!) and the workshop was during the middle of the day, so harsh shadows and bright backgrounds were at times difficult to avoid. Next on my shopping list are a set of reflectors and a diffuser. We were able to borrow some at times, but not for every shot and some of these pics definitely needed them. Some of the shots have a reflector being used, but whoever was holding it wasn't doing it very well. I've left some harshly-lit shots in just because I like them :) (including a few in direct sunlight).

It was a portrait workshop, so lots of the photos are similar, I guess my focus (no pun intended) was on trying to see what different lighting/posing would look like. It was learning opportunity.

One thing I need to learn more about is blending two photos together to remove over-exposed backgrounds. If anyone can help me (particularly with CRW_3462), I'd be very appreciative.

They were converted from RAW with C1 Rebel, and I've done very little post processing to them, apart from a couple where I've cloned out some overexposed background. Apart from that, it's just been the usual levels, contrast, saturation and sharpening. I may have a bit more of a play with a few later on. Some possibly need some sweat removed :)

All taken with a Canon 300D and either a 100mm f/2.8 Macro or 17-40 f/4L lens. The EXIF data is intact (click "photo properties" in the top right of screen when viewing an image).

Anyway, comments/suggestions are always welcomed!

Click the pic below to go to the gallery of 40 images

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 24, 2005
  2. levinet

levinet Member

Some very nice shots, make me look foward to my 300D :)

3. FranchiseJuan

FranchiseJuan Member

CRW_3318.jpg and CRW_3331.jpg are quite nice. Not quite sure about the hat though.

CRW_3433.jpg and CRW_3434.jpg needs more light on the face, either with the reflector you oused in the previous ones of this series, or flash.

The tennis ones don't really work for me. The outfit and the sport together just seems out of place.

CRW_3549.jpg is very well done, but could use a more side-on perspective.

Overall quite well done!

4. revhed

revhed Member

You favored the blonde quite heavily :leet:

I like the Hat series best however the shadows on the face ditract from the shots a little. Were you using the flash at any time or was is discussed as a way of reducing the shadows?

5. OP
    OP
    Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Thanks for the comments guys, much appreciated. One of the problems with trying to get the lighting right on the day (apart from the less than optimal conditions) was that there were about 10 models and around 75 photographers, so generally we weren't able to get exclusive access to the models. Often whoever was holding the reflector and/or diffuser was a bit clueless too, so it made it a bit hard to get it the way we wanted it when we were competing with 5 or 6 other photographers to get a shot at any time (all having different ideas about how they wanted the lighting and what they wanted the model to do). A much smaller group and more time would have made things much easier. I'd love to try something like this without any other photographers :)

Personal preference maybe, I like the hat :D

Yep, totally agree. Actually those couple of pics I would normally not have uploaded, but I like them despite the poor lighting. Those two are a couple of examples of not having much control over how the reflector was being used, unfortunately. That reflector was also way too strong and patchy - there were a few gold reflectors that we used and some were good, some were too overpowering. It might have worked better if it was a -lot- further away.

Heh, those shots were actually the model's idea :) The lighting is the worst of the lot, though. I would have liked to take those shots around sunset.

Thanks, that was really just a muckaround shot towards the end of the day. Came out OK.

Yeah, she was a lot of fun :) I was trying not to use any fill-flash at all, as I wanted to see how the reflectors would cope - but again, not a lot of control over where they were. A bit further away and a little front on/higher would have been my preference. I've boosted the contrast a fair bit on those hat photos too, which probably makes the shadows more pronounced than they really were. Some of them are a bit strong, true.

Generally speaking though, I don't mind the shadows on her face, they give it a bit of depth. I find that if you try to take shadows away the photos can look very bland and lifeless?

6. revhed

revhed Member

Actually the facial features are fine - it's more that the right side (depending on how you look at it) of the models face is darker than the left. (which is both darker than the white shirt) 3316 and 3317 for example. Maybe if you cropped a little tighter to remove some of the white shirt it would be less noticable.

75 photographers and 10 models?? Must have been complete chaos!! How long was the session?

7. OP
    OP
    Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Ahh, yeah, I see what you mean. The white shirt was a problem, it was in bright direct sunlight for some of those photos, while her face was in shadow (and being hit by the gold reflector). Those few pics have already been fairly heavily cropped to get rid of as much of the white shirt as I could. They were cropped to a 2:3 ratio, so I couldn't do much more without losing part of her face or the hat.

You're right, the shirt probably does make it more pronounced. Those pics may be candidates for some exposure blending of some kind.

Heh, yeah, it was :) I took my first photo at about 11am and my last at about 3pm in about 6 different sessions. Each session was probably about 20 minutes.

8. Sting

Sting Member

She looks like a Jesselle Model.

Nice work on the pics :)
    It'll be good for you to look back after you've done a few and see how your style or photographs have changed.

9. OP
    OP
    Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

Heh, yep, most of the models were from Jesselle. They were all great, but particularly Julia (the girl in most of the photos I uploaded) - she was amazing.

Thanks for the comments. Out of those 40 or so photos that I uploaded (from ~ 240 total on the day) there are probably 10 or so that I'm really happy with, so there's a way to go for consistency :). It's not quite as bad as that sounds, a lot of the time I was shooting bursts, so I'd end up with 5 photos almost the same, but I'm very glad I'm not using film.

10. OP
    OP
    Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

If anyone's bored, please feel free to try to tone down the blown-out background in CRW_3462 .... I'm having a bit of trouble making it look ... ummm, not obviously edited :)

Last edited: Jan 25, 2005
  11. OP
    OP
    Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

hmmm, best I can do for now (tired) ...

[​IMG]

I went back to the original TIFF, straight from the RAW conversion and left the background as it was, then boosted the contrast and saturation only over the model only using snapshots and the history brush.

I think it's got a little bit more detail in the background now (it's still blown out, but anyway), while the model now has a little more contrast. Not a huge change, but a little better I think.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2005
  12. Jab

Jab Member

I'll try and get a few of mine photos up tomorrow. It was a very good day albiet the weather hampered things a tad.

Jim

13. tuppaware

tuppaware Member

[​IMG]

I added a bit colour, a few layers. Maybe a bit to much red. I like contrast.

14. revhed

revhed Member

Nice effect there tuppaware. Care to share your steps?
    It's still a little hot in the area just behind the model - but It looks like that will be pretty hard to clear up completly.

I've been playing with a skin softening technique that was recently posted at FM that I think would work well on the nose and forehead freckles.

15. OP
    OP
    Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

It's a little too cartoony (if you know what I mean) for me, but maybe somewhere between the two is where I'll try to get it to. It definitely makes mine look flat.
    The background is doing what it originally did for me - increase the contrast and it looks more blown out.

Thanks tuppa, much appreciated. As revhed said, I'd be interested to hear what steps you actually took.

I'll leave the freckles there, I still can't bring myself to alter the model herself as such .... plus I like freckles :)

16. Zzapped

Zzapped Member

I would have cropped out her fingers and below Tuppaware, as you can really see its waaaaaay over saturated with red and yellow by the ends of her fingers and the tennis ball, apart from that its good work :thumbup:

17. tuppaware

tuppaware Member

I think the tenis ball is a bit distracting, her focus should be her eyes.

I knew I should of saved what I did. I really did it without thinking. No process really, I do something until I like it

My steps - I Asigned to Adobe 1998 Colour profile to the photo.
    Duplicated the picture two times. Selected and feathered the lady removing all else, on the top layer. Editting contrast and brightness a little, then selected the layer as Linear Dogde, changing the opacity and fill down to a lower %.

The lower layer was changed a little using the Shaddow/Highlight feature on PScs, then contrast/brightness.

Converted back to sRGB profile and saved for web.

I'm a bit fan of (over)correction/editing of my photos. I'm not a purest, digital is editing for Art. Film is Art for Editing.

18. OP
    OP
    Gibbon

Gibbon grumpy old man

In terms of colour and contrast, this other photo from the same session is more or less what I'd be aiming for:

[​IMG]

I'm trying to get something that reflects reality with these pics, rather than produce digital art - that's not really what the day was about for me. I don't want to go over the top with them in terms of editing.

Hmmm, I didn't try using changing shadow/highlights ... might give that a go later today.
    I agree about the tennis ball being a bit distracting, but I don't think it can be cropped out, unless it was cropped right into to her face only. Having her hand on the net without the tennis ball would have been better. I don't really mind the composition overall though.

Thanks again tuppa. :) Cheers.

19. eevil

eevil Member

20. taksan

taksan Member

Generaly speaking .... pretty damm good :thumbup:
    Good work ..... some a little cool for me but still good.
    I still want to see a naked chick sitting on a V2100b :cool: