PITA RYZEN UPGRADE

Discussion in 'Troubleshooting Help' started by Moarkill, Mar 17, 2017.

1. Moarkill

Moarkill Member

Hey guys, so my 2500k dies forcing me to upgrade. Fresh install with a 1700 on a b350 Tomohawk from msi...Constantly freezing, slow keyboard response..Taking forever to open a file or to run a search..What a pain..I have downloaded chipset drivers and when I go to extract I just get a corrupt file error using winrar..Downloaded gtx780ti drivers 3 times. Each time I either get a "7zip"error or a "no compatible hardware found" error.

Has anyone else experienced this?

2. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

could be unstable RAM or a storage issue

Post details on these, including RAM clock.

also run memtest86

3. mr_mordred2095

mr_mordred2095 Member

Should have bought Intel :thumbup:

4. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

Leave ram at 2133

5. OP
    OP
    Moarkill

Moarkill Member

Ram is 2400 running at 2133. Corsair CMK8Gx4M1A2400C14. I even tried lowering it. Same issues. I can only get part way through downloading a driver before I crash.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  6. OP
    OP
    Moarkill

Moarkill Member

lol...literally the biggest pain in the ass build I have ever done...

7. OP
    OP
    Moarkill

Moarkill Member

AFter finally crawling through shutdowns to download nvidia driver and bios flash (5 hours) I finally managed to get it to detect my gpu and install drivers..I doubt this will fix anything but fingers crossed.......nope watchdog timeout bsod halfway through install......Im taking this gear back and going intel.

8. shane41

shane41 Member

Don't give up matey. Do some screenshots with a camera in the bios.
    These guys may spot a setting that's out :thumbup:

9. power

power Member

Sounds like faulty ram run a memtest.

10. OP
    OP
    Moarkill

Moarkill Member

I would love to run mum test but I can keep the pc running long enough to download again. I will keep going with it. Been a crap 6 hours. Oh how quickly excitement can turn . ...bad. I will just take the ramp back tomorrow if umart is open.

11. power

power Member

Yeah sounds like return time you shouldn't have to fuck around with ram speeds etc just to get the thing running those days are long behind us.

12. argent

argent Member

Seems your not the only one with an issue specifically with the B350 Tomahawk.... mate of mine in Brissie also bought the same mobo - while he's not having an unstable system, his RAM is just not running at proper speed and his boot up time is ridiculously slow for a PC of this era. Had a helluva lot of problems as well getting his USB3.0 card to work too...

13. power

power Member

If you want to keep that board try selecting some ram from the vendors compatibility list.

14. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Yes the Tomahawk has a stupidly slow boot time for no particular reason. I'd assume next BIOS release will fix it.

I've had no trouble whatsoever running up to DDR4 2933

As power said though, particularly on such a new 'immature' platform, RAM from the QVL list is your best bet. Even trawling other manufacturers QVL as a second resort.

for 2133 or 2400 though pretty much anything would be fine. So that's unlikely the issue. I think one of the three is genuinely faulty. If Umart want to take it all back then fair enough, otherwise they'll want to swap each in/out till they find the culprit

15. OP
    OP
    Moarkill

Moarkill Member

Ok so i have flashed a bios update and am now reinstalling windows. It runs fine through the entire install process. Just cant handle the os environment. I will be returning the ram in the morning for something directly from the list. the single 8gig stick i purchased is the same as the ones in th 2x8 kit that is on the list of supported memory. Hopefully thats all it is. They are out of mobos and cpus.

16. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

it is pretty strange that it runs through the Install OK, with a bit of luck something weird happened during your last install that won't repeat itself this time :confused:

windows 10 I assume , using latest ISO from microsoft?

17. OP
    OP
    Moarkill

Moarkill Member

yes and yes to windows 10..And I spoke too soon..This time it crashed before the install finished..Well Im over it for the evening.. All i can do is return and swap the ram tomorrow. Fingers crossed.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2017
  18. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Well at least that makes more sense :p

If you're on the 'far nth side' of bris, you're welcome to drop in and plug stuff into this tomahawk before you go back so you know for sure. It's just sitting naked on the wkbench at the moment, as i'm testing the X370

19. OP
    OP
    Moarkill

Moarkill Member

Thanks for the offer mate! But Im down in Coomera. Im hoping they will let me exchange at southport even tho I purchased them at 8 mile plains..They gave me the huge run aound today saying items were in stock over the phone when they weren't, even letting me pay for them before pickup, only telling me when I arrived that they didnt have them and they were in 8 mile..

I couldnt see any corsair single sticks on the list of supported ram.

20. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

damn, that is far away. Hopefully GC store comes to the party, it's not like they're a franchise so don't see why not.

out of curiosity, why did you go single stick? Single channel is pretty debilitating performance wise