1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Pizza Thread

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by hsvguy, Nov 2, 2020.

1. chrispy711

chrispy711 Member

Need to fire up my oven again. The tip I got from here was drop the oil to stop the burning. Made a huge difference.
    What cheese do people use (from woolies/coles)? I'm after something easy.
    The best sauce I made was with 2 punnets of cherry tomatoes blended with a bit of salt, then cooked on stove for a few mins. Was so nice.

2. mmBax

mmBax Member

I'm using a generic packet mozz from colesworth. Fresh stuff I haven't had good luck with in the ooni. I cube it all and then leave it in the fridge so it melts a little slower. Finishing with parm at the end if I'm feeling it.
    Sometimes supplement with basic tasty cheese too if I'm running low on mozz.

Tomato sauce, I just buy reasonable quality tins of whole tomatoes. Blend it and cook them down slightly. Add a chunk of salt and oregano. Some chopped basil at the end. I tried the raw sauces but they were too watery on the ooni with not enough cook time. So I cook it down a little to knock back the moisture content.

3. fnp

fnp Member

For sauce, I like to salt & roast tomatoes first before the blend and simmer stage. Optionally also chop a bit of garlic and stuff them into halved tomatoes at the roasting stage.

Zee likes this.
  4. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

Costco actually sells tins of the San Marzano tomato's if anyone's looking for the nicest tasting tomatoes. They don't do anything smaller than a 800g can unfortunately so you'd probably need to freeze the rest.. but the difference is decent if you've never tried them before.

5. AllezAllez

AllezAllez Member

My man I can't wait to hear how it went. I've been looking at this style of pizza box to see whether I can multitask the BBQ.

Been looking at an Ooni for or Roccbox for ages, but it would be nice not to have another thing to store.

6. Zee

Zee Member

It's like Agg has perfect mind reading add-on for OCAU. I was literally looking for an Ooni just the other day. I'm waiting fot stock of the Ooni Karu, as it does both gas and fire (and I want to experiment with using both)

Now I wait...

Z...

7. OP
    OP
    hsvguy

hsvguy Member

These are a bit different from a gas bbq add on (unless you've got a GMG), as these have a chamber to sit directly on the firebox to obtain very high heat. Besides the dough issues, and the temp being a little low (I didn't want to burn the pizzas on my first go), they came out awesome. made a margarita and a blue cheese/walnut/prosciutto/rocket. Blue cheese on a pizza is the greatest :)

IMG20220226181717.jpg IMG20220226183639.jpg IMG_20220303_115648.jpg

Zee and MR CHILLED like this.
  8. AllezAllez

AllezAllez Member

Nice! I'm not sure I get the difference between the BBQ top box and this one?

What's the cooking time like?

9. OP
    OP
    hsvguy

hsvguy Member

On the GMG smoker attachment, you can see in this photo it fits directly over the firebox, so all the heat is forced under the pizza stone. Pizzas can be cooked in as little as 60-90 seconds at over 800F.
    [​IMG]

With the gas bbq attachment, the pizza stone sits on the grill of the gas bbq, so you wont get as high of a temperature. You'll still cook pizzas no worries, but you won't get your traditional neopolitan style.

[​IMG]

AllezAllez likes this.
  10. AllezAllez

AllezAllez Member

Ah I got it! It's nice you have a purpose build attachment like that.

11. NSanity

NSanity Member

60% hydration is fine. I usually run 65%.

I'd say your flour is the problem. What did you use? whats its protein content and strength?

12. OP
    OP
    hsvguy

hsvguy Member

It was "0 Pizza flour" (made in Italy apparently). I reckon I left it rise too long on a 30c day, or perhaps I didn't knead enough? I was quite lax with the kneading as I knew it would be getting a longer rest?

It's hard to explain, as it wasn't sticky, it was just so soft and stretchy it fell apart handling it.

13. NSanity

NSanity Member

Quite frankly all flours at colesworth are pretty much lies, and getting the attributes that make "great pizza" flour out of the milling co/packet is tough. My suggestion would be Caputo Red for "normal" ovens (i.e topping out at 350C), and Caputo Blue for neopolitan capable ovens (i.e 500C and beyond).

Caputo Red - https://basicingredients.com.au/shop/caputo-italian-flour-00-pizzeria-1kg/
    Caputo Blue - https://basicingredients.com.au/shop/caputo-italian-flour-00-pizzeria-5kg-blue/

This article talks at length about it - https://thepizzaheaven.com/double-zero-flour-for-pizza-baking/ - but the 2 components you need are Protein content and Strength (or W). Whilst some brands will list protein %, very very few will tell you strength.

With regards to kneading - fuck that. For quantities and ratios i use - here - https://forums.overclockers.com.au/posts/18732844/

But method is largely:

All ingredients in a food processor for 1 minute (kneading for 5 minutes will replicate this)
    make into a single ball
    cover with cling or a vessel that will allow it to double to 2.5x in size (I use Cambro tub with lids)
    chuck in the fridge for 12-48 hours (longer = more flavour)
    pull 2 hours before i want to use it, split into individual pizza dough weights
    Cover with wet tea towel for 45-90 minutes on the bench (you'll work this out based on ambient temp - winter is longer than summer) - if its cold, just pop them in the oven w/ light on (no temp).
    Stretch, top, bake.

Zee, hsvguy and QuakeDude like this.
  14. AllezAllez

AllezAllez Member

This video was a game changer for me. The ratio used and technique has been foolproof. I did find making the poolish ahead of time a bit of a pain, but it seems to really do the trick, even with regular supermarket flours.

15. NSanity

NSanity Member

ehhhhh. I'm not saying it won't make good pizza dough - but you can get there easier.

As always - Kenji is life

if you're trying to do everything with a "normal" oven - this recipe is king, like literally cannot fuck it up, doesn't care about flour etc.

https://www.seriouseats.com/spicy-spring-sicilian-pizza-recipe

and an alternate if you think you need to do things (you don't) - Josh Weissman

Last edited: Mar 4, 2022
    Zee and AllezAllez like this.
  16. AllezAllez

AllezAllez Member

I'm keen to try this receipe - similar adjustment for lower home oven temps.

JSmithDTV likes this.
  17. Zee

Zee Member

Yeah! Our karu 16" is ready to pick up. I have a nasty feeling the gas attachment is not yet there, but we actually have wood for our smoker that we can use. Now, to hunt down 00 flour and yeast in the Philippines (no easy task)...

Z...

18. NSanity

NSanity Member

keeping it dry is the challenge no?

19. Zee

Zee Member

The wood, you mean? We have a dry area to store the wood - not an issue. I plan to use mostly gas though, but want the ability to do fire when we are having guests/party etc just for that little extra something. I also want to try using the gas attachment and throwing some wood in to see if that gets wood fired flavour in there. One of the pizza places that were nearby when I was still in Sydney had a combo wood fire/gas oven. They'd get it up to heat with gas, and then throw the wood in there to get the wood fired taste. It worked, because sure enough, it did have the wood fired taste. Not sure if it's possible, but messing around is part of the fun.

I've been checking out some recipes, and I have my eye on one to start with - just need to get hold of the flour and yeast tomorrow (hopefully) so that I can start making pizza on Wednesday.

I'm rather excited!

Z...

20. QuakeDude

QuakeDude ooooh weeee ooooh

Well for what its worth, The first batch I made with the Caputo 00 Blue was noticeably different in flavour and texture compared to the stock supermarket stuff. Mind you, I had Gemelli's when I was up in QLD recently so the bar is set kind of high :lol: