Plant Based Diets

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by tobes, Mar 7, 2018.

1. tobes

tobes Member

Over the last 6 months to a year I've been doing a lot of reading/research and listening around general health and as a result of I have almost fully transitioned to a plant based diet. I'm having some trouble shaking dairy but otherwise I've basically converted except for the odd meal. I feel a heap better with more energy and have dropped at least 5+Kgs.

Just about to start "How Not to Die" by Dr Greger. Here is a TED talk he presented which basically equates where we are today with diet to the US position on smokes post WW2.

Who else here has made the transition? Thoughts, experiences, recipes?

BurningFeetMan likes this.
  2. Revenge

Revenge Member

My food eats a plant based diet... doesn't do anything to extend it's life. ;)

3. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

The modern diet is very flawed. A lot of the food we consume is packaged, jammed full of sugar and salt - a lot of the time because it's easier and cheaper than cooking everything from a raw state.

When it comes to a fully plant based diet - there are some health concerns surrounding it, especially for kids. I would say eating fresh food would prolong life more than a plant based diet. There is also a fair bit of misinformation out there on behalf of the Vegan movement, especially when it comes to sharing tidbits of information on social media - like a salad for dinner, it doesn't have any sources.

Eat food, mostly plants, not too much.

4. OP
    OP
    tobes

tobes Member

Absolutely agree you need to make sure you're looking at proper referenced data and don't get dragged off with the anti-vax brigade.

5. Hater

Hater Member

cows convert grass into milk, so what's the issue

6. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

eat mostly meat (unprocessed) and veg, and you'll be fine

joecool55 and Sanity_Smith like this.
  7. miicah

miicah Member

Have you dropped 5kg of fat or muscle?

8. Revenge

Revenge Member

I once dropped 5kg of fat and muscle.....

So I picked it up, rinsed it to ensure cleanliness, reseasoned it and continued on to cook an excellent roast dinner.

9. romanx

romanx Member

Probably 8 years ago now I was diagnosed with a stomach disease, I had to cut back on things like coffee, tomato based foods (i.e. pasta sauce), spicey foods, greasy foods, and processed foods. I was severely overweight in my early 20's, I'd given up playing cricket and instead spent my weekdays at a desk job eating crap, and weekends at the pub. I'd ballooned out to about 150kgs, cutting out some of the crap dropped the weight off over the space of a couple years. Prior to that diagnosis, I'd slipped on some stairs (home alone style) fracturing 4 vertebrae and broke 3 rips and I've been left with back issues since.
    Fast forward to now, I'm down around the 100kgs mark, given that stomach disease I had medication that I took for 2 years and screwed up my digestion. So I avoid red meat, I still have chicken, and fish. But I'm primarily plant based, cut out a lot of dairy. It can take some adjustment do I feel a lot better now when I eat dinner etc. I cut out breads and pasta as well, they don't seem to digest well either. I'll have the occasional pizza when I'm with my nephew and feel sluggish afterwards for a day or 2. But then get back to normal. Not going full vegan, I can't.
    Lots of other options out there you can alternate with when it comes to meal options, and dinners, food prepping if you do that. It's not all that hard.

qwertylesh likes this.
  10. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

I've known a few folks who've moved to plant-based diets, and were pretty quick to make meat the villain of their previous lifestyles. Problem is, before the transition they were eating all sorts of shit three meals a day. Now they've cut out 90% of the crap, meat is suddenly the first thing to be labelled as the cause of all evil.

I spent 2 years on a pretty strict Paleo/Primal diet. Cute name, but it's meaningless (before the usual crowd come flying in from offstage claiming some sort of cavemen bollocks - it has nothing to do with that, and angry internet experts need not apply, cheers). The entire diet consisted of not eating shit. That's it. If it was processed or contained anything other than basic, fresh products, then avoid it.

I dropped 50KG in the first year, and maintained that weight for the second year, all while eating meat and eggs (and a little bit of dairy too, because I didn't want to give that up). Since then I've gone back to a pretty shitty diet, and zero surprises, out another 10KG back on with the crappy diet, which I somewhat maintain through exercise, but should flat out just eat better.

If you're eating deep fried things, food laced with calorie-dense processed sugars, and "pink slime" that marketing people lie about and call meat, it's not the meat that's causing your weight problems. It's the crap. Switch to lean organic cuts of red meat, good quality fatty fish (mackerel, salmon, etc) and eat a shitload of food that rots in a few days (salad, leaves, grasses, seeds, vegetables, etc - keep the nuts and fruits down to a minimum) and I guarantee you the weight will fall off.

It's not easy (you are hard wired to want easy energy - your million year old lizard brain hasn't caught up with the last few thousand years of food and agriculture technology, and still thinks it will starve tomorrow if its not constantly stuffing itself full of calories). It also means you'll probably need to learn to cook for yourself, plan your meals, and go grocery shopping several times a week because fresh food goes off. All of it is a huge pain in the arse as far as free time and social life goes (you'll be "that health nut" who doesn't eat pizza or chips when out with friends). But some inconvenience for the sake of your health and well being is a choice everyone has to make every now and then.

If you want to ditch the meat, then fine, do that. But get a full blood test every quarter, and be objective about the results. If you see problems with your HDL, haemoglobin or iron levels, don't be a dick to yourself and ignore it. Just eat a small organic steak once a week.

qwertylesh, miicah and the_fuzz like this.
  11. OP
    OP
    tobes

tobes Member

Haemoglobin/Iron levels haven't changed at all. I donate plasma every two weeks-ish and there has been zero change in the readings for this. Just also had a full workup for Life Insurance done. Nothing flagged.

12. Radley

Radley Member

I completely agree Elvis. And congrats for moving off the diet of PB&J sandwiches!
    It's not about the meat, it's about the processed shit that we eat. In the last few months I've moved to a basically vegetarian diet during the week (veggies, eggs, lentils, chickpeas etc) and only drink water and green tea during the day. I've cut out nearly all dairy but I'll have milk with a coffee if I get one, and I'll have a spoonful of Greek yogurt with my oats and nuts for breakfast. I've cut down a lot of booze and eating out and I've lost 10kg in as many weeks. I've got 9kg more to go in 9 more weeks! This is coupled with training 3 days a week and an hour of walking a day with the dogs.

I found it very easy though, but I do all the cooking and I'm looking at it as a health thing for my future, not a quick fix. I don't agree with a completely plant based diet as I think that is an unnecessary fad - it's all about eating proper (i.e. unprocessed) food in small portions. Eating a variety of food is also key.

13. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

those iron tests when donating plasma aren't terribly accurate, i wouldn't rely solely on those (i also donate plasma every couple(ish) weeks - 70 donations in)

14. OP
    OP
    tobes

tobes Member

Agreed but better than nothing.

15. romanx

romanx Member

Freelee the banana girl? :D

I only moved off because of other issues causing my digestion of things like red meat to be a problem, I'd kill for a steak. But I feel terrible for days after, I just don't break it down fast enough. The bonus is I'm eating a lot more veg, also trying out some new stuff and branching away from traditional fare. I don't touch pasta, rice, breads or potatoes. They all have the same affect to some degree, and it's down to not having enough stomach acids to break it down fast enough anymore. Meat isnt the villain, and if everyone thought like the vegans who think if we all stopped eating red meat the worlds problems would be solved overnight, we'd be kneedeep in cow sh*t because no one would be eating them, and also all the methane production from them, that'd be fun if we lit a match.

If you like meat, eat it, if you want to change to a more plant based diet go for it, all the more power to the people for making the decision. Veggie burger for lunch coming up!

16. oculi

oculi Member

Because all the cow farmers would go "nobody is buying cows anymore. Better keep breeding and feeding them anyway I guess."

:)

17. Revenge

Revenge Member

Gotta say I do enjoy a good veggie burger sometimes...
    Some people just manage to nail those things...

romanx and tobes like this.
  18. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

mushroom/haloumi burger can be OK, but double beef is better :)

19. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I went plant-based cold turkey just under two years ago. Shortly after I picked up my running shoes, and now I train for marathons. :thumbup: Amazing the amount of energy that a whole foods plant based diet brings.

Comes down to life style habits. I'm OK to get up at 6am, put half a cup of pre-soaked steelcut oats & buckwheat for 15 minutes on the stove whilst I go shower. It's not that I'm spending more time cooking on a plant based diet, I just have to be smart about how I approach the task of cooking. Same thing goes to prepare veg for dinner. If you can't cut a few potatoes and boil them...

The health concerns of a plant based diet mainly stem from people who did it & did it wrong, or from meat & dairy industry paid stooges. But in this age of information it's very easy to sift through the crap and find those who speak the truth, such as;

- Mic the Vegan
    - Happy Health Vegan
    - Dr John McDougal
    - Dr Michael Gregor
    - Dietician Brenda Davis
    - Author Pamela A. Popper

... Along with many more, too many to list here. My point being, focus on whole foods, use online diet tools such as cronometer - the aim of the game is nutrient dense calories, which translates to no added oil & sugar - which in turn means no processed food.

Regardless of diet, when you get your bloods done, make sure you're also checking B12 and Ferritin. I learnt this the hard way, but at least I got to the bottom of it & cured rather than ignoring my body and masking my symptoms.

My video of the day :)

EDIT: This is a great article too;
    - http://running.competitor.com/2017/04/nutrition/new-rules-carbs-runners_163962

TLDR of the article - If you steer towards a Plant Based lifestyle, embrace high quality whole food carbs, then be prepared to pick up your running shoes. :)

Last edited: Apr 28, 2018
    tobes likes this.
  20. OP
    OP
    tobes

tobes Member

I'm in training for a half marathon at the moment actually. I agree on the energy front. Plant based plus carving out a proper 8 hours a night for sleep have made a massive difference.

BurningFeetMan likes this.