Plant Based Diets

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by tobes, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Perko

Perko Member

Do you normally hassle retirees to help you?

2. bart5986

bart5986 Member

The thread is titled "plant based diets" not "Lets make fun of overweight people and how they act in public and blame it on their lack of veganism while also acting like vegan people are superior beings while also saying that eating meat makes you sick As well as calling Australian culture bad because its not 100% Vegan yet"

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
  3. Perko

Perko Member

It's the classic OCAU extremist line. Make emotion based assertion, maybe backed up by an unreferenced or dubious YouTube video, then run to the admins when the inevitable challenges begin. Disregard anything put forward by people with actual expertise, (like mine above) etc etc.

4. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

this came to mind.
    in a feverish state.

5. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

A talk by Michael Klaper - It's a long play but worth listening to if you're looking for healthy eating advice.

6. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

An interesting watch. For those of you pursuing a plant based diet, you should be eating lentils daily.

Lentils - The humble pearls of the earth

7. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Buckwheat is something I've been eating at breakfast daily for almost two years. I believe that a lot of my health and fitness has come down to this particular whole food;

adamsleath likes this.
  8. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

I've been wanting to get more into buckwheat. It seems to be the only way I can eat porridge. I tried porridge as a kid about 25 years ago, and I think it was oats. I revolted at the texture and decided to never have porridge again, but a couple of years ago a friend served it to me in buckwheat form, and I loved it.

9. peg

peg Member

I used to make buckwheat pancakes, good for breakfast or with salads.

10. oculi

oculi Member

I like lentils, but every daily?

[​IMG]

BurningFeetMan likes this.
  11. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

mmm i love porridge. with berries.

and barley in a vegetable soup yummo.

12. koss

koss Member

I eat lentils most weeks, or chick peas.

Like any diet, a plant based diet requires that you know what you are eating nutritionally, you can easily screw up. I have several vegan friends and their diets are terrible, they will be ripe for diabetes 2 when they are older. They basically live on frequent meals, mostly carbs, with a few greens thrown in for good measure, and just enough protein to get by, but not necessarily complete protein. Typical things are vegan bread, pasta, Linda McCartney frozen foods, they even got me to by some, but when I got home and read the packets I went omg. this is crap nutrition.

13. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Would be worth catching up with them over Cronometer. I'm not saying that Cronometer is the is-all and end-all, but it makes people think about what's actually in their daily eating habits.

Interestingly, committing to whole foods plant based no oil cured my pre-diabetes, a condition which I'd been medicating for ~10 years through my 20's. My research into this lead me to find that it's the consumption of oils/fats with carbs that are clogging the bodies ability to deal with processing carbs at the same time.

What's an example of their terrible diet? For example, they might eat LOTF when hanging out in the city, but maybe that's only when you coincidentally see them?

14. peg

peg Member

Careful, I've heard bad stories about starch from reputable people like chiropractor turned YouTube diet guru "Dr" Berg. :D

BurningFeetMan likes this.
  15. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I find it even more hilarious that Frank Tufano has attempted to emulate this guys act... and what an absolute train wreck of a shit show. :D

Speaking of starch, I've up'd both my lentils and rice intake to 1 cup of each a day. The next few days I'll be focusing on speed training, so need the carbs to burn. :thumbup: