Plant Based Diets

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by tobes, Mar 7, 2018.

1. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

As you've taken the time to watch some or all of it, what things in particular caught your attention as BS - aside from the cult-ish presentation?

2. bart5986

bart5986 Member

His whole concept is that food poisoning = being obese.

The problem is that he doesn't understand the real reason people become obese.

This means that his whole video is a waste of time really as its based on flawed science.

3. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Obesity causes being a mix of life style, food choice and gut biology all combining - is that what you mean by real? Regardless of if you find the guy and his advocacy cringe-worthy, I wager for any obese person wanting to lose weight that followed the general advice from Dr John McDougall, that they'd be successful to the point of no longer being obese.

4. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Maybe... but there are also 100 other ways to lose weight, but you don't seem to realise this.

5. koss

koss Member

Obesity is caused by raising your blood glucose level too high for too long.

Insulin tries to move as much glucose as it can, to the cells that need it, until they refuse to take anymore. Then the body tries to store about 200 gm of glucose as gycogen in the muscle tissue, and 70gm in the liver. Finally the body starts converting the glucose via a process called "de novo lipogenesis" into fat, which is stored first in the liver, (fatty liver disease) then around the belly for men, and finally around the body where ever is convenient.

The main cause is a high carb diet, which is mostly from plants, grains, potatoes etc. basically anything high in glucose, hence all the fuss about Glycemic Index marking on packages several years ago.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2019
  6. iLv2pwn

iLv2pwn Member

If you want to watch something with actual scientific evidence around Heart health (weight loss) and overall better health.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLk7zOMUSaGEs1z1IydbIzcz47o0tvTgw0

Start with the first two videos.

I recently had a relative have a heart attack out of nowhere and this has helped understand how it happens to someone who was considered pretty "healthy".

7. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Yes, but it's not that simple. From what I've read (that also lines up with my own personal experience) is that the animal fats and vegetable oils that I was eating with the carbs causes the condition. I've since removed the animal fats and oils AND my metformin medication out of my diet for almost 3 years now and am still running strong since (literally). Carbs ain't carbs either - I tend to eat whole foods rich in carbs like fruits and vegetables, oats and buckwheats - but if I'm honest with myself I don't restrict processed carb foods too much - it's just I don't crave them like I used to.

So again, you're right, but if you think "OK, well I'll stop eating carbs and just eat fats and proteins with greens" then you're severally restricting your diet from lots of good, healthy carb-centric foods. You swap the steak for a large sweet potato, do that for a month, then compare the opposite. But the second your mixing oils/fats with carbs, it's all over again.

Ivor Cummings is simply selling CEC scans, what we know as CAT scans (best avoided due to radiation dose). He's using fear as a motivation for people to sign up and get their score. I have watched him on and off for the past ~2 years, and have concluded he's just a sales man. I would be very, very cautious following anything that he recommends. I'm saying that the science is false though - it's just like anything, prevention is better than cure. But how do you prevent the average Aussie from eating as much meat as they do for their entire life... people jokingly tell me all the time that they'd rather die happy of the heart attack than eat "healthy"...

My opinions on Ivor aside, I'd like to hear more of your story if you care to share. And I truly hope you're on the mends. It's scary as hell, and it's why I too took such sincere interest in nutrition 3 years ago - so I get you.

I was originally chiming in here to link this. I've spent this arvo listening to this talk on and off (I was hoping to attend but ended up having to travel for work). It's about global food security, food production, and one of the conclusions it ends on is to eat more plants, and eat less meat;

- https://soundcloud.com/sydney-ideas/food-security

8. peg

peg Member

Thanks for this professor Berg. Not one citations, as usual.