Plant Based Diets

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by tobes, Mar 7, 2018.

1. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I make my own bread with this awesome bread mix I get from The Source. Add yeast, salt, water and flaxseed oil, few extra seeds in there for good measure - and it tastes the best. Vegemite on this fresh load, magic. Or get some vego spread onto there. Amazing.

2. jfat

jfat Member

I have actually started making home made sourdough, so about to start making wholemeal/grain loaves as I've been mainly experimenting with just white flour.
    Vego spread is too dangerous.... :upset:
    What started me making sourdough was a quest to make the best Vegemite toast

BurningFeetMan likes this.
  3. peg

peg Member

This sort of neglect has nothing to do with plant based diets.

BurningFeetMan likes this.
  4. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I picked up a loaf of sourdough from Bilpin yesterday, in apple country. It really is perfect with just Vegemite, nothing else!!

This mornings viewing;

Last edited: Aug 25, 2019
  5. clonex

clonex Member

Just spent 3 weeks back home and ecological eating is huge and is In surrounding nordic countries as well.

Had a few burgers which ranged from oat based to reindeer and usual beef ones and all taste good :D
    My brother mostly substitutes meat with broad beans.

On the last day mates kids brought home a note home from daycare(private centre) that they were moving to a more plant based diet.

Personally cant see myself being full vegan but the food definately can taste as good :D

BurningFeetMan and adamsleath like this.
  6. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

For anyone following this thread, please watch this, discuss.

7. peg

peg Member

Keep in mind this guy works a vegetarian cult / corporate food giant:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seventh-day_Adventist_Church#Health_and_diet

8. kelthegeek

kelthegeek Member

Really? Of course we are not carnivores - they require a meat diet. Regardless of what this guy says, humans are an omnivorous species. I won't argue that we generally eat too much meat in the western diet, but I also have issues with those promoting veganism on the basis of 'animal welfare' as it completely ignores human nature. Never mind the additional environmental damage from the instensive farming practices that would be required at this point.

9. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Wait did that need to be said?, were we meant to believe that he isn't apart of some cult? just like the other BFM videos? :lol:

10. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

The Cult of BFM - Hmmm, has a nice ring to it.

11. twisar

twisar Member

I wasnt gonna watch the whole thing but after 20mins it seems like his argument is that Carnivores have THESE features and we dont, hence wh shouldnt eat meat. Its a very poor argument. Wolves are Carnivores, We are not like Wolves, We are therefore not carnivores. Except there is no such rule that says all carnivores have to be alike, some, like us, have found alternative paths to be omnivores. It doesnt even come across as very well reasoned.

12. Perko

Perko Member

I agree with you, but I'm pretty sure that wolves aren't carnivores. I heard a scientist that studies them say that the first thing that they eat when they get a kill is the gut contents of the animal. Dogs are descended from wolves, and they're omnivores. Cats are carnivores.

13. twisar

twisar Member

You can be a carnivore who eats other things at times. Cats are obligate carnivores that can only eat meat. The category 'carnivore' isnt totally rigid and there are some variations within it. Wolves/Dogs and Bears and many others can and do have an omnivorous diet, but theyre still classed as carnivores. Like all biological categories theyve been sort of forced upon the animals but now we see some flexibility in how it is applied.

Perko likes this.
  14. frnak

frnak Member

Dogs may be descended from Wolves, but we have selected them to tolerate large amounts of carbohydrates. Specifically starches. We have bred them from a carnivore into an omnivore. Pretty cool.

Back on the topic of humans, a large study of 48,000 people has come out that demonstrates improved heart health but increased stroke risk with vegetarian diets as compared to omnivorous diets. Whether you're vegetarian/vegan/fruitarian/milkshake diet/atkins/whatever, "the message, for everyone, is it makes sense to have a well-planned diet, and to eat a wide variety of foods." Variety is key, single food sources will impair your health.

15. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Let's be clear, vegetarian != vegan. Plant Based != vegetarian.

16. RnR

RnR Member

I'm neither vegan nor vegetarian... but you missed a nice caveat - "The researchers suggested this could be linked to low vitamin B12 levels but said more studies were needed to investigate the connection.". Paper from a quick google search - https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6047336/. Would also have been interesting if the researchers had asked their subjects about sun exposure - nitric oxide from sunlight is pretty decent against blood pressure and stroke. Perhaps vegetarians cover up more for some reason?

Whenever I have a pure plant based meal, I add a B complex pill. Easy to do.

17. kelthegeek

kelthegeek Member

Bit hard to watch that now it's been removed.. I wonder why?

RnR likes this.
  18. koss

koss Member

That study, like most nutritional studies, lacks science, they are just correlation studies that don't tell you anything about the biochemistry going on to cause the problem.

BTW. not quite on topic, but has anyone found a biochemistry explanation on how Roundup actually causes cancer? I ask because many plant eaters have been exposed for decades, to traces Roundup with seemingly no ill effects.

19. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Great lecture by Dr Mills;

Protein Chemistry for Understanding Nutrition by Dr Milton Mills

Weird, no idea. If I recall correctly, it was a vid pulling apart the latest media headlines that vegans are at more risk of a stroke than others, which is a garbage thing to suggest.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    adamsleath likes this.
  20. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

avocados have a wide range of amino acids.