Plant Based Diets

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by tobes, Mar 7, 2018.

1. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

yup salads and protein. i get slack with salads. need much more intake than i do, and frankly its very easy and quick to plop salad ingredients onto a plate.. i try to be a conscientious omnivore. processed sugar is my downfall (overweight) i must absorb iron easily. quite high levels in the blood tests, and high levels of haemoglobin, despite a sometimes very unbalanced/poor diet.

2. frnak

frnak Member

adamsleath likes this.
  3. RnR

RnR Member

And its easy to see the extra salt in these products being a potential cause for the observed stroke risk for vegetarians.

4. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

The study found some popular items sold in Australia supermarkets are laden with added salt, with 100 grams of meat-free bacon containing about 2g of salt — a third of a day's recommended intake

And a quick google tells me that real bacon has almost 3 grams of salt per 100g of bacon. So I keep reading and then this;

The study did not compare meat-free alternatives with their meat counterparts, such as meat-free bacon with actual rashers.
    "What we really wanted to identify was just to see how salty these products are in themselves," Ms Farrand said.

The Australian Heart Foundation is losing more and more credibility with each passing day it refuses to embrace a plant based diet.

Oh, it's on the Heart Foundations website, so it must be healthy!

5. frnak

frnak Member

Its not a meat vs plant comparison, the study was just observing that supermarket meat-free alternatives are not healthy. That's all.

vladtepes likes this.
  6. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

so. that's two unhealthy options to choose from

super!

whole foods like he said. not processed crap.

fresh. unprocessed. food.

BurningFeetMan likes this.
  7. lawrencep93

lawrencep93 Member

Plant based should be cooking and eating plants that grow in the ground, many meat substitutes are less healthy than actual meat

vladtepes likes this.
  8. koss

koss Member

There is no shortage of fresh unprocessed whole foods that will make you sick, or kill you quick smart.

Each foodstuff has to be evaluated carefully on it's own merits before you shove it in your mouth, regardless of origin or processing.

qwertylesh and vladtepes like this.
  9. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

such as?

10. frnak

frnak Member

Not sure what you mean by this? There's no foods at the supermarket that would 'kill you quick smart'. Some foods contain natural toxins that need processing (e.g. Cassava) but these are very much the exception.

Processed foods are widely accepted to be unhealthy. I'm sure we can agree on this.

11. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

I was talking an Australian teacher in Cambodia(I'm going to be saying that alot:lol:).

I asked about if people go hungry because when I flew in I saw so many rice fields, she said generally yes people don't go hungry but it's the nutrition that's the problem, I presume she's talking about the poorer people who live in cities but parents will often just give their kids rice and fish paste, something simple and they don't get much variety, not developing properly, etc.

THEN she's goes on to say that people don't have food allergies here(must be rare) but theyll eat anything or they'll starve kind of thing, hence the bugs and frogs etc (first time frog was delicious as we're the grasshoppers, fried but still...).

I was also talking to a Turkish girl who's right into healthy eating, whole foods etc, she said she's a vegan "but I eat fish, I looove fish(God love her) it is so good for you"!

The whole vegan fad is a load of crap full of bandwagers, a mates into it and said he had had to give up meat for "health reasons".... buys these vegie burgers whilst delicious is just processed crap.

I think that's the important distinction, the amount of processing that goes into foods and not the source.

Food for thought.

qwertylesh and vladtepes like this.
  12. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

blowfish?

13. peg

peg Member

Not wrong.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/...r-drinking-raw-cows-milk-20141211-124lx8.html

Bloody halfwits. People have gotten very sick eating raw meat too, typically they'll get away with it a few times but eventually they eat the wrong thing and end up with a bacterial infection or parasites.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    qwertylesh likes this.
  14. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

That news is a few years old, but in a follow up report, again a few years old, the company was cleared of any wrongdoing. https://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader...s/news-story/79774eb02a44ba30b0c5150129b76cdd

15. vladtepes

vladtepes Member

Putting aside completely the whole omnivore vs vegan argument

I think the best bit of advice I've ever heard is "Never eat anything your great- grandparents wouldn't recognise as food"

16. Perko

Perko Member

So much stupid in that article, the naturopath and the parents' response.

People nag me to get raw milk, but it's not worth the risk. We use it ourselves occasionally, but that's straight from the vat into the fridge, not days later through a logistics network.

Daft_Munt likes this.
  17. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Being facetious about it, my grandparents were brought up in famines due to various wars. Very likely they didn't see a whole host of healthy food I have.

But seriously, the point is understood. Folks like the "Paleo" and "Primal" groups cop a lot of shit for their choice of names, but the idea is the same. Basically they're advocating for food that hasn't been heavily processed or filled with preservatives for all the same reasons as your quoted text (much to the misunderstanding of vocal critics who are too obsessed with the name, and miss the message).

They mostly suggest that you should shop only at "the outside of the supermarket", as that's where all the "real food" lives. Most supermarkets fill internal shelving with long-life products designed to not rot or decay, which is great for profits, but not so great for our health. Real food rots, so is less appealing to the large supermarket chains. And in our rush-rush world we tend to not want to shop for fresh food daily, but rather weekly (or worse), which sees us put the convenience of less healthy food ahead of real health.

And while correlation doesn't equal causation, it is interesting to see that obesity rates in the west exploded in an era where fat was demonised, and highly processed foods (particularly ones with a high processed wheat content) were put higher in importance (see "the health pyramid" that labelled grains more important than vegetables for a long time).

I repeat what I said earlier: I'm stunned to see so many obese vegetarians of late. Considering they were the group long advocating for the health benefits of their eating style and blaming meat for all the ills of the world.

18. RnR

RnR Member

Why drink milk at all?

19. lawrencep93

lawrencep93 Member

Interesting thing is my girlfriend gained weight when she went Vegan, Vegan /= plant based.

To your point about Paleo and such, they are all great concepts and ideas till industry and people bastardize it, like think about all the "paleo bars" do you think caveman could eat a paleo bar off a tree?

Ignoring all that is wrong with modern lifestyles the main issue is the processing in any diet or the availability or abundance something as simple as sugar, caveman would have had to chew the crap out of sugar cane compared to us just mass growing and processing into simple sugars. Like wise for many fruits which you could only get in summer but due to imports we have year round.

Other things to consider is the food availability at different latitudes which means if your genes are closer to the equator (darker skin) you most likely will be better on carbs and plants than if you are further from the equator

20. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

Quite literally the guy who wrote the book on "Paleo" criticised "Paleo snacks" heavily, pointing out the sugar content of such things, and how that went against the very simple advice he originally gave away for free of "eat real food, not processed crap".

The problem is, people are lazy. One of the greatest skills an individual can gain in their quest for health is to do a basic home cooking course. Use real food, cut the crap, and things immediately improve.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    lawrencep93 likes this.