1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

Plant Based Diets

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by tobes, Mar 7, 2018.

1. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Plant-Based Cardiology in Practice with Shane Williams

I'm a big, big fan of the Plant Yourself series. They've always been so very fascinating to listen to.

2. neRok

neRok Member

So I've been sticking to a veggie diet, but bought the wrong olive oil spread the other day. It was an olive oil spread next to Nuttelex, so I thought I would give it a go. And it was super delicious, and I had the best sandwich I had had in weeks. But it tasted particularly creamy, so I looked at the ingredients after the fact, and it contained 6% milk solids. So question is, how much is too much? Is any too much? And that leads me to wondering about ghee and lard/tallow/etc? I need to look into it, just haven't got around to it.

3. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

proper plant based means 0% animal based products

4. OP
    OP
    tobes

tobes Member

I don't see it as absolute.
    The more plants the better but if you crave a pepperoni pizza on a monthly basis have at it. I don't see why it has to be absolutist.

Phalanx, connico and BurningFeetMan like this.
  5. neRok

neRok Member

Nah, neither do I. I will have a meat meal whenever I feel like, so like once a week (only about 3 times since lock down started actually). I'm not being plant based to save the animals.

My question was coming from a scientific point of view. The game-changers documentary outlined a few different ways that meat diets can affect your internals/blood/etc, but I wonder what quantity of animal products cause that? And is it animal protein or animal fat that is worse? Or are they both bad?

Take a traditional keto diet for example, you will still consume a few grams of carbs every day, but it doesn't affect the process. So that's the direction I am coming from - will 6% milk solids in the few grams of spread I am having affect me to any significant degree?

6. BuD

BuD Member

I would be more worried about the shit oils you just Injested

RnR likes this.
  7. RnR

RnR Member

Olive oil is not too bad based on Omega-6 content. Its rather low as things go in the vege oil collection. But I would be worried about any processing of the oils to get it nice and spreadable directly from the fridge.

In regards to which is worse; animal protein or animal fats, I would guess animal protein. There is something funky going on when you consume large amount of animal proteins. A piece of research I came across a year or so ago;

https://news.psu.edu/story/512485/2...restriction-could-amount-new-dietary-approach

BuD likes this.
  8. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Yah, and even coining the term “Vegan” doesn’t mean you’re 100% plant based, it’s just you avoid all animal products to the best of your ability.

I bought miso the other day, tasted different, same brand I always get, but then realised it had some different japanese text on the label, so I then checked the ingredients to find it contained Dashi. :( But rather than throw it all out, I just remember my mistake and don’t make the same one in future.

As for health vs ratio of various animal products, there’s that saying; you can’t hide a cheese burger from your body. You are what you eat, and at time and of writing I am 0.000000001% fish. :tongue:

(any mammal food/milk however I would give to family or friend, as I break out into anaphylaxis upon consuming mammal products)

9. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Really enjoyed this chat - lots of healthy plant-based eating tips that help steer the course.

10. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

11. supasaiyan

supasaiyan Member

anyone seen the doco on NetFlix "Fork Over Knife"? - pretty interesting viewing.

But over the past couple of months, we (as a family) are eating WAY less meat (maybe once a week now). No real reason for it, just trying something different

tobes and RnR like this.
  12. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Yah, that's a great doco. There's heaps of good viewing out there available for anyone just to click and learn. And it is a learning process which can be hard - as the majority (if not all?) plant based eaters had to completely derail what we've all grown-up with for our entire lives - finding out that there's actually a better, tastier, cleaner, healthier way of living that goes against the expectation of family, friends, society and culture. Slowly but surely people will change to eat more plants, realising just how much better life actually is whilst on a whole foods plant-based diet, and hopefully stick to eating them.

Can't convince everyone, unfortunately - and it really is unfortunate knowing what they're missing out on, the positive changes that happen to your physical and mental health - not to forget what happens to the animals, the environment and our climate if the worlds populations all continue down a diet primarily based in meat. The struggle is real when you accept the reality that we're in, that's when you double down and transform into an Annoying Vegan™.

EDIT: FUCKYES, Rich just dropped this - Kevin Smith and Harley Smith;

Last edited: Jul 6, 2020
  13. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

This is worth the watch;

14. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

what's the TL;DR version?

pretty sure they could have achieved similar results by just cutting the shit food out of their diet without going Vegan?

15. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

You're pretty sure, but not sure-sure? I know that they couldn't have achieved their results without sticking to their whole foods plant-based lifestyle.

16. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

how do you "know"?

there's no real way to tell for sure either way

17. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

Photo of 3 loosing 1,000lbs?

Even 100lbs is it REALLY that hard to loose?

Seen many times in this forum people casually mention they've lost 20-60 kilos in 6-18 months etc.

If you have that much weight to loose wouldn't it be neglect to have that much excess weight most of the time? Sure Maybe some unfortunate circumstances like injuries play a part or lifestyle etc.

Can sugar coat it all you like but it's not normal to get that big so any move to towards a healthier lifestyle will get results.

Show me a person getting ripped from a normal weight maintaining muscle and that might peak my interest:).

Deep down I know I drink too much and binge on bad foods to get the results:upset:.

18. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

but that's what makes life fun!

19. flain

flain Member

Do you mean "forks over knives"? Or "fork over knife?", if it's the former its from 2011 rife with problems.

For a 2011 film, there is a 2011 response:
    https://deniseminger.com/2011/09/22/forks-over-knives-is-the-science-legit-a-review-and-critique/

Science has progressed somewhat since 2011, and it looks like highly processed foods - meat and plant based alike are both pretty bad. Just look at these new plant based burger patties - super high in salt, super processed and you might as well just eat a hotdog made from the crap otherwise thrown away..

20. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

yeah, i tried plant based burgers once, the ingredient list was a mile long and full of things i'd never heard of

at least if i have a meat burger, i just use mince and salt/pepper/garlic + onion powder, i know exactly what's in it