Plant Based Diets

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by tobes, Mar 7, 2018.

1. OP
    OP
    tobes

tobes Member

Oh yes there is definitely something in charring causing carcinogens however it was more a generic comment on Beyond (or any other food stuff itself) not being the perfect diet.

I fully expect the meat industry to try and push the unnatural therefore bad angle pretty hard.

2. schnappy

schnappy Member

This banana thing has been on my mind and every time I walk past them I think I should give it a go.

Tonight I quickly made in the pan with a little bit of onion two small chicken tenderloins, then threw on top 1 bag of green stir fry mix I got for 40c short dated with 5-10% of one of these jars:
    https://yinyam.com.au/products/cj-mongolian-bbq-sauce-for-lamb-490g?_pos=1&_sid=536965a50&_ss=r
    Flavour is very strong so you only need a small amount so they're great value (Cheaper in a traditional asian grocer, that's just the first link I could find).

And one whole banana, ~2mm thick slices including the peel.

The peel keeps the banana in discrete bits and when you eat it you occasionally get a banana blast and with the sauce 10/10 will eat whole sliced banana in sauce again.

3. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Not very plant based ...

4. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

banana!
    ive been eating them regularly the past few months.
    i hope they are good for me :)

5. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I've been smashing the beans lately, straight out of the can. No heating, no bowls, no fuss.

adamsleath likes this.
  6. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

yeh. i do that. mega lazy but wtf.
    maybe its a good thing :)

BurningFeetMan likes this.
  7. schnappy

schnappy Member

Oh, I'm not vegan, financially vegetarian most of the time but a lot of my food based endeavours fit into this thread. The chicken bit is really irrelevant. I don't know if the lamb sauce is vegan or not, I deeply apologise if I upset someone... I know the various beef/chicken stock powders I have in the pantry are vegan.

I had a batch of sprouted soybeans (These things sprout like mad compared to lentils) I dumped into a pot with oil and onions and their volume goes down significantly as you'd expect. Their texture is more like nuts than beans, not at all soft. The shoots of the sprouts pick up sauce well like regular store bought bean sprouts (Which I believe are mung beans). Highly reccomend this.

BurningFeetMan and adamsleath like this.
  8. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

All good. I was just helping to keep the thread on point. As for sprouts, I have hit and miss sessions with sprouting lentils, beans etc. Sometimes, I get the perfect batch of sprouts, other times, not even 3 days in, kahm yeast has moved in and tainted the entire batch - not that it's poisonous but gosh it smells and tastes rank, it's very frustrating. I constantly battle the stuff when making sauerkraut too - and have at least figured that when it comes to fermentation that the less surface area exposed to the atmosphere, the less unlikely kahm will appear then take hold.

Any tips for sprouting?

Also, whilst you're in this thread, it might be worth watching Cosmic Skeptic. He puts ideas in a way that help many transition into plant based living. This video was short but sweet;

RnR likes this.
  9. schnappy

schnappy Member

I don't think I have anything remarkable to say.

Originally I was doing 500g (1/2 of a 1kg McKenzies bag @ $4.40ea) batches and noticed no difference between batches from 1 bag, but did see differences between 1kg bags. Sometimes it'd take 5 days to get some half decent tails forming but one bag in particular was great after 48-72 hours. Don't be discouraged. My method is simple now - 1kg dry lentils in a stockpot, soak 24hrs in water, strain and wash until the turbidity goes away then let them sit in a plastic colander (the type supermarket delis get their ricotta in - ask for spares, if they haven't yet binned them they're often happy to oblige) and give them a good blast of water a couple of times a day. I do it whenever I walk past. I don't know if the frequency has much impact on the final product or sprouting time.

I left a batch of soy beans out too long. As per all methods I've read I keep them under darkness - cover it with a dense tea towel - and a lot of tiny insects were lingering and the tails even started getting little side shoots forming, was going a little manky. I washed them well and cooked the s*** out of them and they're fine.

My next little adventure is going to be natto. I found somewhere to buy it to use as a starter culture, this bloke's method is practical and I have most of the equipment he uses:

I just need a meshy bowl to cook them in the pressure cooker with (Could use a stockpot but it does takes ~3 hours at ambient pressure) and a right shaped container for the fermentation in the pressure cooker (yoghurt mode on an Instant Pot).

Gave the video a quick watch - already agreed with it all. The episode of South Park where at the end the Japanese are no longer killing whales and dolphins, but instead running around slaughtering chickens and cows with Randy saying 'See Stan, now they are normal, like us' resonates. If someone told me to draw a hard line an not eat meat whatever no huge loss, but I don't see the harm in humane farming of chicken eggs and dairy both of which I enjoy eating routinely. (Yes, saying doing it humanely is objectively making it OK and it isn't that simple in reality - not my battle, sorry)

RnR and adamsleath like this.
  10. schnappy

schnappy Member

I've made 2 batches so far, both good. Increasing the depth of beans so I get more made in a batch, certainly don't need such a shallow layer as that bloke uses. When warm the smell is a bit whiffy but not as terrible as people make it out to be. When cool the smell is exactly like Bailey's Irish Creme. I haven't found this comparison anywhere else, it took me days to place it but that's the familiar smell it has to me. Vaguely similar taste/texture too?

Strongly recommend Natto if you are wanting to value-add beans by fermenting. I have only been eating with soy sauce and rice, spring onion if I have it. With pre-portioned rice in the fridge it's an easy thing to grab as part of breakfast. I am curious to see how well it blends up with an egg to make a pancake.

I didn't bother buying a steamer to fit inside the pressure cooker, I just put a glass dish in (It heats up slowly enough and evidently it is OK. Modern Pyrex glass so not the cheapest, but not oven proof either... #dangerzone). I used the same dish for the ferment so not many dishes.

11. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Annual consolidated post by Plant Based News - food for thought... as such.

-

12. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

"Eat Balanced" - a step down from Australia's (cough: New Zealand's Sam Neil) and Sam Kekovich. :lol:

13. Ripley

Ripley Member

Is this supposed to be a vegan thread, or a vegetarian thread. I'm as little confused, and there's a big difference between the two.

14. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Well the OP has titled this as a Plant Based thread, so that rules it out from being a vegetarian.

15. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

so...no unfertilised chicken ovulations?

the blue tongue living outside my laundry does like a bit of banana. actually he isn't very picky. :p

16. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I personally haven't had eggs for about 4 years now. They were a major part of my diet before hand, yet now days I don't even miss them, quite the opposite - the thought of them turns my stomach. I get the same enjoyment that I used to get from a half cooked egg in Udon Noodles as I do now with silken tofu and miso. I go through a few packs of that each month.

I feed our Eastern water skinks worms from my worm farm. :) We have the biggest blue tongue that you'll ever see too, but I've only seen it twice in 10 years or so I've lived here. It liked peaches the first time we met. The Skinks however follow me everywhere through the garden, and always run up to say hello whilst I hang out the washing.

adamsleath and GumbyNoTalent like this.
  17. GumbyNoTalent

GumbyNoTalent Member

I feed a water dragon most days, he loves the dogs bed, much to the dogs displeasure, because he's afraid of the water dragon.
    lizard.png

BurningFeetMan and adamsleath like this.
  18. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

heh. i have one of those too. he arrived a few days ago. i haven't had one before. but he arrived during the rain.

i had a resident bush turkey some years ago. and ducks who took over the swimming pool. :D

-duck raising mix.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2021
  19. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

For those with Type 2 diabetes or Insulin Resistance on their radar, watching this lecture is definitely worth your time. I personally experienced everything discussed in this video through my 20's and early 30's, and I only wish I'd known and adhered to the below advice;

Tackling Type 2 Diabetes With Diet: This course is led by Dr. Vivian Chen, MBBS, MRCP, MRCGP and supported by Dr. Michelle McMacken, MD, as well as other acclaimed experts in the lifestyle medicine and type 2 diabetes field. We are here to bring you evidence-based information you can trust, that we know has worked for patients around the World to reverse their type 2 diabetes.

GumbyNoTalent likes this.
  20. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

This is a great talk.

What we know about vegan athletes;