Plant Based Diets

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by tobes, Mar 7, 2018.

1. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

This was an interesting watch, bigger picture type doco, real world, without the drama;

-

2. miicah

miicah Member

Why is cheese unhealthy? High in fat, protein and calcium?

3. mareke

mareke Member

There's a lot of conflicting information out there. I gave up eating a couple of boiled eggs for breakfast a few months ago because I was concerned about the potentially damaging affect of the cholesterol in the eggs.

I recently came across the article in the link below that says that an egg a day may help to lower the risk of stroke and heart disease!

Should I start eating eggs again? It depends on who you believe!

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/ar...wsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weekly

firey4059 likes this.
  4. Kafoopsy

Kafoopsy Member

Cheese is one of the most acidic foods that we eat (apart from being very high in fat). Because of this, the body has to neutralise the acid by pulling calcium from the bones. This is the same for most dairy products and is why dairy products are a poor source of calcium - green leafy vegetables are a much better source of calcium. The evidence for this can be seen from observing the world. You would expect that the people in the world who eat the most dairy products per capita (USA, and some Scandinavian countries) would also have the least occurrence of calcium deficiency disorders such as osteoporosis. However, the opposite is the case. Also, nations which consume little, if any dairy (many Asian and African countries) tend to have very low rates of calcium deficiency disorders. Nations that adopt the western diet often soon also adopt the same lifestyle disorders suffered by western nations.
    Also, concerning protein, adult humans need very little protein in their diets. The only people that are protein deficient are those that are physically starving to death. Not to mention that protein from vegetable sources is much more easily digested and taken into the body than animal base proteins.

5. OP
    OP
    tobes

tobes Member

Agreed on Dr Greger cherry picking. However at the same time his assertion that there are minimal side effects from most of his recommendations seems accurate.

6. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Worth the watch - Michael Klaper is absolutely on point as always;

7. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

Eggs have everything in them that support life.... They are an un-fucked with food source.

8. mareke

mareke Member

They are also loaded with cholesterol-the same cholesterol I can see deposited in my eyes (corneal arcus). I also had a CT scan done of my head recently that showed 'scattered calcified atheromatous plaques within the cervical internal carotid arteries and vertebral arteries'. All the eggs I've eaten over the years most likely contributed to the plaques so I'm not going to resume eating them.

BurningFeetMan likes this.
  9. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

There's 2 types, LDL and HDL

HDL = good, LDL = Bad, eggs have a lot of the good stuff and helps stop the LDL even forming.

Here's something for you.

Body Builder way before his time Vince Gironda - Steak and Eggs diet. Lived to 79 without modern medicine and is considered the father to the golden age of body building physique.

1950 Vince.

Click to view full size!

10. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

You can't look at it so simply though. Eggs have everything in them to support the hatching of a chick. And they are also delicious. But as far as food goes, I consider eggs as a junk food. I have't eaten one since committing to plant based diet. I might have eggs if I'm staying with my gardening friends who have chooks as pets, but that'd be a one off.

When I was regularly eating eggs back in 2015 & 2016 (and all through my life), I was getting angina/chest pain when exercising, which has now completely cleared up since on my WFPB diet. :thumbup:

Thanks, I'll have to read up on his life and life style. I tend to see a lot of these peeps burning out as they hit their 40's. And I do wonder if he's on the juice through his prime... :Paranoid:

Last edited: Jun 1, 2018
  11. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

If he was on anything, it would've been pretty early untested stuff. Remember he was 20-30 years before Arnold.

12. OP
    OP
    tobes

tobes Member

My Grandfather smoked a pack a day for 40 years and live to 90 doesn't mean smoking isn't incredibly bad for you.

13. mareke

mareke Member

Here's something for you.

My post #26 in the link below

https://forums.overclockers.com.au/posts/17177495/

14. frnak

frnak Member

lol.

Lets ask the Heart foundation

15. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

I’m certainly not going to try and convince you to start eating eggs, but dietary cholesterol has little effect on blood LDL cholesterol.

Saturated and Hydrogenated Fats are the leading contributors of blood LDL cholesterol.

Edit: Forgot to press Post Reply; got beaten.

frnak likes this.
  16. mareke

mareke Member

I agree that eggs in moderation are fine for most people. I ate a couple of boiled eggs every day for breakfast for many years. I could probably get away with eating one egg a day but I'm not sure I could limit myself to one a day or one occasionally so I've given them up. The cholesterol I can see in my eyes is probably also coating my blood vessels. The plaques that a recent CT scan showed up as being visible in my arteries was enough of a warning for me to avoid saturated fat as much as possible like the doctor did in the link in my previous post who had a heart attack and after three years of cutting out meat, fat, dairy, eggs, butter, margarine etc. his clogged arteries became clear.

BurningFeetMan likes this.
  17. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

i've recently started eating 2 eggs/day for breakfast

that and a protein shake usually sees me through till lunch

i'm in the gym lifting weights 3-4 times a week, have started doing HIIT skipping a few times a week, and play comp basketball 1-2 times a week

once i am less active, i will probably dial down the egg consumption, but for now i think i'll be fine

i turn 38 this year ....

18. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

If they were free from donations, industry & government influence, the Heart foundation wouldn't be asking Australians to try a meat free Monday, but rather they'd be encouraging one meat meal a week, if any. Follow the money. Too many vested interests prevent them from updating their guidelines.

But do you think that you couldn't perform better on a different diet?

19. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

There is plenty of peer reviewed data.

20. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

don't know, don't really want to know

meat and eggs are delicious

frnak likes this.