Plant Based Diets

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by tobes, Mar 7, 2018.

1. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Nothing he suggests is actually worth taking as advice because he has life long health issues that nobody else has.

My issue is that he doesn't publicly disclose this when he posts and essentially this means he's misleading people.

In other words, if I was allergic to vegetables and then I started telling the internet how vegetables are evil and will kill everyone and how eating lemons has saved my life and made me a marathon runner, I think you would take my advice with a grain of salt.

Exactly the response I would expect from someone who is so deep in it that you couldn't see up from down.

The first step in becoming educated is to stop watching Youtube videos.

2. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

"Ok" is actually a form of trolling I use when someone comments about a video that they didn't even take time to watch. :p You're very, very lucky, that I didn't just reply with "Ok" again.

3. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

1) as little processed foods as possible (you're never going to get 100% here), but unprocessed meat and 3 veg is generally pretty damn clean

2) never said that

BurningFeetMan likes this.
  4. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

Their seems to be a slippery slope pattern belief of vegans that i've noticed.

The beliefs that animal products are toxic to humans, which leads onto

A belief of food as medicine to build a strong immune system

Now I wont tar all vegans with the same brush BUT I bet you vegans are among the highest skeptics of vaccines or a belief you dont need them if you live this "clean" lifestyle diet.

Just from my observations...

One of my friends was vegan for a few years and has gone back to what I would call a normal diet, im not sure how much animals he eats now but when he first was doing the vegan diet he was always going on about how much younger he felt, more energy less sick, seems to have done a 180.

I dont know he does have mental health isues and always seeking different solutions to make his life better so I cant fault him for that, its a common trait for vegans though isn't it?

Someone who suffers from something and latch on to the possibility that animal products are somehow the cause of their problems and a plant diet is like a magic medicine to solve their issues.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  5. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Well, I'd say there's a stark difference between a conversation that's about veganism, vs a conversation that's about a plant based diet, whilst acknowledging that the two have an obvious overlap.

Like any group of people with similar/same interests, I know vegans who are for vaccine, and other vegans who against getting vaccinated - outside of who I actually know has weird medical conditions preventing them from vaccinating, the latter I actively work to distance myself from.

Point being, there are crazy's in every group. You're suggesting that not all vegans are the same or to be painted with the same brush... But. But what bro? You just go and do that off the back of your friends life story?

From my experience, and many, many others in the Plant Based diet support groups that I'm in, plant based eating (specifically whole foods, no oil) has literally saved countless people from an early grave. And typically many individuals go on to tackle physical challenges, such as marathons etc (which was also my experience after I decided to stick with a WFPBNO diet, after about 6 months, and I'm going on 5 years now).

One thing to keep in mind, is that eating poorly gets people into a lot of long term strife with their health, and it's no real wonder that if they happen to stumble into a lifestyle that changes their entire take on life, essentially they're getting their life back - a second chance, it's no wonder they harp on about the positives that such a change bring.

6. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

the same could be said from ditching a mainly processed food diet, and shifting to a largely unprocessed food diet

whether that's an omnivorous diet, plant based, keto, vegan or whatever the new fad of the day is

7. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I wouldn’t class Plant Based eating as a fad. People live healthy active lives whilst adhering to the diet for decades on end. I’m wondering what makes you suggest that it’s a fad diet?

8. Phalanx

Phalanx Member

I think you missed the part where plant based is lumped in with other non-fad diets. Point being, "plant based" is just another version of "healthy".

That you capitalise it is a bit of a giveaway you're prescribing more to it than is really there. It's a perfectly fine diet that, when balanced and thought out, supports a healthy lifestyle. It's not penicillin though, it's not magic in and of itself.

9. Audionut

Audionut Member

There's also niggly little issues like piss poor bio-availability of non-heme iron in plant based diets, meaning woman in general need around 30+ mg/day and pregnant woman needing ~50mg/day.

Issues that don't present themselves, and generally are not well known because health fanatics are too busy pushing a narrative instead of real facts.

A small serve of meat makes iron bio-availability practicably a non-issue, and reduces the need for such a large intake of total iron.

edit: Let me take it one step further.

Nutrition is complicated. It is essentially, chemistry.

Between individual differences due to genetics, iterations with medicine, different requirements with age and gender, bio-availability in the soil used to grow the crops, fluid intake, gut health, to name a few, anyone claiming to have the answer to health is bat-shit crazy and should be avoided at all costs.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  10. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

pretty much this

we get it, plant based worked extremely well for you (BurningFeetMan)

but there are other equally valid ways to achieve a similar result

11. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Perhaps - and that's where Science comes into play. The Plant Chompers channel is great to help navigate the minefield that is nutritional science, sifting out the snake-oil salesmen and highlighting the plausible realities . A new video just dropped this morning, and like all of their videos is well worth the watch.

12. Elmf

Elmf Member

Where exactly are you getting the impression from that vegans and vaccine skeptics are linked lol

Feels like a pretty random view

13. OP
    OP
    tobes

tobes Member

Yeah I don't quite get the link. I think the number of vaccine skeptics is fairly consistent across the whole population. I became 99% plant based on the back of the health benefits predominantly.

BurningFeetMan likes this.
  14. Kommandant33

Kommandant33 Member

I see where it comes from, but only a certain small group of people. A few of the girls that I went to Highschool with have joined that vegan/mindful living movement, concerned about what they put in their bodies (but funnily enough all of them are in the Juice + MLM scheme - 1 pill has all the goodness from a bucket of vegetables? Idiots) - and with this they are anti-vax. But it is a minority.

And they are also anti-lockdown, anti-mask, anti-science - they have gone so far left they ended up on the right. Coming from a place of privilege, they want their old life back with no repercussions when there is a global pandemic going on.

Elmf likes this.
  15. Elmf

Elmf Member

Yeah I think you're right that it's spread though. Majority of people I know that are anti lockdown are....random! They're from all different areas of life and occupations and none of them are vegan that's for sure...

Kommandant33 likes this.
  16. Elmf

Elmf Member

I promise I'm not trying to be argumentative here but I have to disagree.

Healthy is not just the reason people go vegan, so "plant based" is far from another version of "healthy" because when eating meat there isn't just us involved, we are also killing billions of animals. Morals are another reason, completely separate from personal health.

17. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

FYI - I'm now all jabbed up with pfizer. Sooo, are you vegan yet (assuming that you've also been vaccinated)? :tongue:

18. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

New Plant Chompers is out, well worth the watch.