Plant Based Diets

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by tobes, Mar 7, 2018.

1. frnak

frnak Member

I sense a new Dan Brown novel. It's a chicken conspiracy!

You think the Vegan youtubers don't have a vested interest?

Lets ask a hospital what they think:

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
  2. Stugots

Stugots Member

I trialled totally vegan for about 40 days earlier in January this year. I also did before and after blood tests.

The good:
    - I felt really level headed
    - Good, clean energy
    - Felt healthy
    - Cholesterol was in range for the first time ever
    - Kidney function drastically improved
    - Liver function drastically improved
    - Lost about 2-3kgs

The bad
    - testosterone levels more than halved (assume I wasn't eating enough protein/fat)
    - had less sexual desire
    - was a lot weaker in the gym

After this it was clear that a combination of plant based days and meat eating days would probably prove to be a good equilibrium but in reality I've just been eating as much meat as I usually do and I definitely don't feel as good as I did while full vegan. Sex drives there though :D

3. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I and many other vegans/plant based peeps report the opposite regarding sex drive.... It goes through the roof and things work... better... :Paranoid: But regardless, man that is a whole lotta healthy, how awesome for you!!!

As for hospitals, are they still selling softdrinks to visitors and patients? ... I’ve been meaning to research what Australian hospitals are dishing up patients these days.

4. Stugots

Stugots Member

5. Audionut

Audionut Member

Bought a fish tank, like to tinker.

Water.. How do I make this water ideal for the fish.
    Plants are good for water.
    Water.. How do I make plants grow really well.

Finally got the shits with buying a full lettuce, using 3 or 4 leaves and dumping the rest.
    Start growing expensive food/food that has a high waste value when bought.
    How to grow food. Water, oxygen, light, nutrients, etc.

Hang on a sec, I'm a glorified fucking plant, just with different water, oxygen, light and nutrient requirements.
    Research scientific based requirements for human health.

Design a diet that allows plenty of variety, and meets the dietary requirements for growth (just like a plant needs fertilizer to grow).
    Grow as much as possible in the garden, for all of the significant benefits that delivers (exercise, yada, yada)

Don't give a shit about differences noted when making these changes, because science also explains bias.

6. BuD

BuD Member

Yes you should from healthy chickens. From what i have read cutting sat fats and cholesterol from diet is what actually helps contribute to heart disease because your body ends up making more of it than it needs. They have shown you can eat a bag of eggs and it does little to effect cholesterol levels in the blood

7. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

https://draxe.com/high-cholesterol-foods/

if concerned (about cholesterol or other) just get a blood test from your gp / pathology easy peasy. ive had several. my liver readings are slightly high. (but cholesterol level is normal range) possibly too much caffeine and processed meat / fat. too much caffeine can also raise your cholesterol...i read.

apparently eggs are good, even though they are high in cholesterol...

8. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

What I recall from a study that was explained to me, was that if you eat eggs then easting another one or two on top of what you already eat won't double/triple your cholesterol, but rather those extra eggs will just bump it up a little. However, in comparison to someone who doesn't eat eggs, the cholesterol drop is massively significant. The take home was, that any egg study needs to include the numbers from people in the study who don't eat eggs, rather than comparing someone who eats a few eggs to someone who eats a lot of eggs.

Curious about my cholesterol, especially since I'm back to 3 cups of coffee a day. :lol:

Regarding plant based diets, an interesting discussion at the pub last night after a 35km run, where one of the runners noticed me requesting a vegan meal from the chef as there were none on the menu. He mentioned that he too was 99% vegan, as the recovery from such exercise was staggering. We're talking a couple of hours recovery in what used to take days.

9. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Michael Klaper on point;

The Most Powerful Strategy for Healing People and the Planet | Michael Klaper | TEDxTraverseCity

And this talk is absolutely key for everyone to understand;

Christopher D. Cook - Diet for a Dead Planet: Big Business and the Coming Food Crisis

Last edited: Aug 13, 2018
  10. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

This is worth the watch; Processed People - Plant Based doco from 2008.... damn I wished I watched this 10 years ago. :shock:

-

11. jfat

jfat Member

I started eating vegan, cutting out most sugar/'bad food' and intermittent fasting at the same time. Im down about 8 kilos in 4-5wks, which doesnt seem alarming for such a drastic diet change. I dont know what has the most effect on losing weight, but I dont go a day not feeling 'satisfied' with how much I have eaten. My gym lifts have dropped a bit with my diet, but thats to be expected on a caloric deficit etc.
    I mainly went vegan for the challenge etc and it has kinda forced me to eat better and prepare meals to take to work opposed to buying a lot of meals :p I am not a fussy eater at all and supplement my diet, so I feel like it is a very sustainable diet at the moment; I am currently eating a huge range of foods and always choose wholegrain where possible. When I lose a bit more weight, ill probably focus on getting more calories back in from protein and see if I can build some muscle back. (no doubt I am losing some muscle but seems to be mainly fat, I was about 98kg prior, this morning on the scales I was 90)

BurningFeetMan likes this.
  12. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

If you're hitting the gym, you'll definitely want to balance your food input numbers via Cronometer - and the easiest way to hit the calories is to up your potato & sweet potato intake. Typically I eat 1/2 cup Steel cut oats, 1/2 cup buckwheat and 1/2 cup red lentils every morning with diced/dried fruit in a porridge. And the evenings I aim to eat around 4 big potatoes. If you track your performance during the transition, you'll see very quickly what works and what doesn't. :) If you're not already, start to check out stores like "The Source - Bulk Foods". Before vegan, I would never have used these stores, as they just didn't make any sense with the foods they were selling... but now I live out of them - plus they're zero waste too. :shock:

8 kilos in 4-5 weeks might be water loss, so maybe up your cucumbers with your lunch/dinner meals too.

From personal experience, I recommend waiting until you're sure that you've balanced your diet prior to introducing fasting into the mix. I consider my 36 hour fasts a workout in themselves. :lol: A miso, mushroom and seaweed soup takes the sting out of a long fast, clocking in with next to no calories yet filling and salty, meaning you can exercise even on your fast day. Exercising the day after a fast I still find a bit tough though.

13. jfat

jfat Member

Yeah been meaning to get things into cronometer, I just use so many amounts of different things in my food, it seems so hard to get it all in there haha
    Will check out that store though, but I have found the prices for stuff like dried lentils and beans etc arent even that much cheaper than like foodland or aldi.
    I am starting to be more conscious about waste, but i only just changed over so its a bit of a work in progress.

Not sure if i would be in taking any less water though? not like my previous diet was any less from what I remember and I am good with drinking a lot of water while working and usually a protein shake a day etc.

Im just eating my first meal at lunch time at work which is usually around 12:30pm or 1pm, Ive just never really been much a fan of eating breakfast anyway unless its the weekend, so basically just eating in a 7 or 8 hour window then only drinking water etc for the rest of the time.
    Also I am not hitting the gym that hard at the moment, just trying to work out for maintenance, ill look at bulking up later.. So just trying to make sure nutritional wise im getting what I need, dont need too much calories as I work a desk job etc. :p

14. romanx

romanx Member

I've got a good one near work I have on occasion, a friend of the family opened a vegan cafe in the Adelaide hills that does a good one, and theres another I've been to with haloumi and a beetroot relish that should come with a warning about addictions. Nothing wrong with veggie burgers, some people think they are going to sprout dreadlocks and all their clothes are going to turn to hemp from something that doesn't contain animal.

The "Not Burgers" in the frozen section at the supermarket are handy to shove in the freezer for home as well.

15. STINGA

STINGA Member

1dongchen likes this.
  16. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Watching this one now; Hope - What you eat matters. Bit of a lame-o name and content is a dash slow, but worth the watch.

EDIT: Gets a little grim in parts, but it is what it is and people buy into this 3 times a day for their entire lives.

In other viewing, Dr Fuhrman is a legend;

[MEDIA]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2018
  17. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Kevin Smith - 'Silent But Deadly', Surviving a Heart Attack, Going Vegan

... and holy shit this is hilarious! :lol:

18. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

I'm a sceptic....

I've come a dairy farming background my grandmother lived to just shy of 92, some of her brothers and sisters are still alive same on my dad's side, basically living to the 90s.

So I'm talking old skool farmers, have their own vegie gardens/chickens and drink unpasteurized milk etc yet they still eat packaged crap like biscuits, ice cream, chocolate etc.

I'm sure they would have stern words about a veagan diet:lol:.

Edit: for the record my mum's parents didn't fare so we'll he was a navy pisshead and the mother died at 42 a heavy drinker.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2018
  19. Revenge

Revenge Member

I think, while diet undoubtedly has an impact on longevity, it doesn't have nearly as much weight on the issue as simple genetics.

There are the people who smoke, drink, eat shit diet and still live to be 90+. The inverse of course is the fitness fanatic who hits the gym every day and monitors their diet religiously... and dies of a heart attack at 32.

20. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

I'm interested about the longevity of veaganism, the whole idea of cutting out food groups that every culture in the world has included in their traditional diet seems like a regressive step IMO.

BuD, bart5986, Revenge and 1 other person like this.