Plant Based Diets

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by tobes, Mar 7, 2018.

1. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Me too, so I put my money where my mouth is and took the "blue pill" so to speak. :lol:

I found this talk inspiring, was an easy watch too;
    -

I can't help but noticed that apart from the odd book, these WFPB doctors, nutritionists and advocates aren't actually selling us anything (well, not the ones I follow anyway). Sure, some would make money off of advertising, but regardless... I am absolutely convinced with what many have to say about plant based nutrition. Personally, I'm 2 years going strong on a WFPB diet, and I'm entering my first marathon this year at the age of 36. :leet:

adamsleath likes this.
  2. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

A great listen for your lazy/productive Sunday;

adamsleath likes this.
  3. BuD

BuD Member

Veganism has become a religious cult with these long winded speeches

2SHY, NSanity and frnak like this.
  4. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Yes, it's all just a load of nonsense really.

... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

5. peg

peg Member

Who knew God was a plant. :lol:

6. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

7. frnak

frnak Member

PostModern likes this.
  8. PsydFX

PsydFX Member

9. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

They're probably a draftsperson and forgot capslock. :p

Tonight's viewing; Evidence based medicine -

10. frnak

frnak Member

Dunno, ask the newspaper. I just copy pasted the title

11. romanx

romanx Member

Isn't that how they do it with the preachy sermons in the big tent?

12. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Well worth the listen, food for thought as such;

13. wwwww

wwwww Member

Of course, but that doesn't mean someone with bad genes shouldn't try to extend their life.

14. mareke

mareke Member

Actor Clint Eastwood comes to mind. At age 89 he is still doing movies. Many years ago I saw Eastwood interviewed & he said that he exercised daily so he could 'drink more vino'. Recently I saw Eastwood's daughter reveal that her father has actually been a lifelong teetotaller & that he abhors drugs which helps explain why he's lived as long as he has.

15. wwwww

wwwww Member

The relationship with alcohol and age-limiting disease is a J-curve ( https://journals.plos.org/plosmedicine/article?id=10.1371/journal.pmed.1002585 ), i.e. small quantities correlate with better health but as intake increases it rapidly becomes worse. What constitutes an ideal amount depends on the individual.

16. mareke

mareke Member

The 'J-curve' was obtained when the alcohol companies included people that had given up alcohol, because they became sick from drinking it, as non drinkers. This resulted in the non-drinkers having higher rates of things like liver cirrhosis than the drinkers. It's known as the 'sick quitter effect'. If you only include genuine lifelong non-drinkers in the non-drinking group you find that they have less disease & live longer than drinkers including moderate drinkers. Any amount of alcohol stresses the liver and is like a poison to the liver.

'Is It Better to Drink a Little Alcohol than None at All?'

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/is-it-better-to-drink-little-alcohol-than-none-at-all/?utm_source=NutritionFacts.org&utm_campaign=1102c8fa9a-RSS_VIDEO_DAILY&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_40f9e497d1-1102c8fa9a-23499993&mc_cid=1102c8fa9a&mc_eid=046562eba4

'Do Any Benefits of Alcohol Outweigh the Risks?'

https://nutritionfacts.org/video/do-any-benefits-of-alcohol-outweigh-the-risks/?utm_source=NutritionFacts.org&utm_campaign=e4cac8ecba-RSS_VIDEO_DAILY&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_40f9e497d1-e4cac8ecba-23499993&mc_cid=e4cac8ecba&mc_eid=046562eba4

17. wwwww

wwwww Member

The study I linked measures lifetime consumption and there are numerous others like it which largely reach the same conclusion, moderate alcohol consumption is beneficial in most people other than those with liver disease or alcohol flush syndrome.

(also your links are clickbait, you can find reputable sources by searching scholar.google.com)

18. mareke

mareke Member

People who have a glass of alcohol with a meal may indeed get a health benefit. Such people would tend to be moderate in other habits as well. Teasing what effect a particular habit has on health is next to impossible. Looking at the people in the 'Blue Zones' around the world that live unusually long healthy lives only one group doesn't drink alcohol, the Seventh Day Adventists, so it may well be that a glass of wine with the evening meal each day is beneficial. All of the Blue Zone groups apart from the Seventh Day Adventists drink a little alcohol.

19. peg

peg Member

20. Gunna

Gunna Member

I love meat and a good slab of meat over the heat beads in my weber is bliss.......but it's all about moderation -including moderation itself.

Plenty of fresh fruit, veges and intermittent fasting and i'm hoping to get back to my weight from my teens. I need to loose about 25kg and i'll be happy, could I do it plant based - no way I love meat to much but again it's all about moderation.

I fell off the wagon with my fasting for 6 weeks and put on 4kg again so this is week one of my fasting restart with gym thrown in. For those doing plant only, how do you get the essential oils like omega 3 and other essential minerals\oils\amino acids that are found in meat? Surely the absorption rate from plants isn't as good.

qwertylesh likes this.