Plant Based Diets

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by tobes, Mar 7, 2018.

1. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

And what exactly is the relevance of this whacko story to a sensible Plant Based diet? If you're advocating against a plant based diet because of what some two faced whacko extremist has profited over, then you're doing it wrong.

When I reflect upon myself and the knowledge I've obtained since my plant based journey began; 3 years ago, I was dying living off a western diet. Non-stop headache (a 9 month long headache destroys you and who you are and are trying to be), panic attacks, angina, unfit and unable to commit to exercise, and a LTR that ended abruptly. And it's that very point in life when I rediscovered veganism (I had known of it for 20 years, but never understood it until my time in need, and thank the stars!!). Limitless compassion, infinite kindness, and as per this thread, the ever debated plant based diet. As I sit here thinking how far I've come on my own crafted plant based diet, I reflect upon my life and how much is changing. This Sunday I will run in the Canberra Marathon with my beautiful Colombian girl friend (who is absolutely interested in plant based diet :leet:). I also succeeded in securing sponsorship for my running for the next 12 months, with my sponsor wholeheartedly supporting whole foods plant based advocacy. So essentially my hobby pays for itself and I get a platform to talk about what it is that I've learnt and what I know.

Tonight I'm shoveling potatoes in my mouth, carb'ing up for the race as I catch up on OCAU. Barely have time to log on to this place these days, only reason I'm here now is I need to buy a larger SSD but the alerts dragged me back to this thread. But make no mistake, animal husbandry is infinitely cruel to countless creatures, and the practice is absolutely changing our planet for the worse. I can't express how pathetic it is that the taste buds of billions of people have dictated our planets fate. Anyway, I digress from the focus of this thread.

Although my quantities vary depending on how much I'm running, currently I prepare, cook and eat a lot of food. My get out of jail card free are potatoes. Where I may have eaten two during my meat eating days, I now eat 4 large spuds and double/triple the greens. Where I may have had milk and cereal on my old diet, I now have - and I prepare and have this every day - 1/4 cup steel cut oats, 1/4 lentils, 1/4 buckwheat, nutmeg, cinnamon, cranberries, blue berries, raspberries, inka berries, hazelnuts, ground flax seed, ground chia seed, ground pepitas, ground sunflower seeds, ground hemp. Through the day, I'll eat bananas, cucumbers, hand full of raw green beans, seasonal fruit and veg, usually tinned vegetables of some sort too. Love a mushroom stirfry, and love to make my own laksa too. And OMG Thai green curry!!! All vegan and delicious.

What you -don't- eat is almost more important though. Sticking to a plant based diet, I don't eat or cook with oil (with the exception of a couple of drops of sesame seed oil here or there, coconut milk would be the fattiest thing I eat), I also avoid bread and bakery products (an occasional vegan pizza after a run with mates though) and I make an effort from consuming processed packaged junk food. Although I'm not perfect in this regards, what helps the most is not having junk food in the house. If you don't buy it at the store, you won't eat it at home.

Interestingly, the healthier and fitter I get, the less I want to drink alcohol. I still have beers from NYE sitting in my fridge.

EDIT: Listening to this one now;

Last edited: Apr 9, 2019
  2. Perko

Perko Member

Look, I don't want to troll you by hacking away at that quote to make it look like one of the testimonial pamphlets that Jehovah's Witnesses hand out...

But it's one of them with a different cult.

3. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Meh, troll away. I'm not sure who my cult leader is though, wake me when you find out?

4. Perko

Perko Member

You've always got that Delforce guy, he's got a messiah complex.

5. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Ahh, you're confusing vegan with plant based again. ;) Play the podcast I linked earlier on Silent Bob, plant based diet saves lives.

6. Perko

Perko Member

Fair enough. I can understand and respect wanting to make a difference without being an extremist.

7. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

how can all those indians and asians be right?

just keep advertising the bizniss. indeed what else can you do?

i advocate the gorilla diet, simply because that's what im comfortable with. mostly fruits vegetables, pulses, nuts and seeds/grain, fish (dont know if gorillas eat fish though), and very little meat.

a vast number of westerners' diets are just garbage.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  8. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

Burning feet man, when you said you lived off a western diet how healthy good/balanced was it?

Often I'll see someone mention going from typical(sh!t) to vegetarian/veagan and giving all the credit to plants.

Alot of people have a healthy diet by cutting out most processed foods and still eat animals.

NSanity likes this.
  9. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Mate, a life without potatoes is not worth living! :wired: And we are not freakin' gorillas! Our saliva has enzymes that actually break down starches as soon as they hit the mouth. And do Gorillas eat fish? :lol: I know that chimps can go cannibal with competing tribes, but there is no excuse to follow their lead!!!

I had meat of some sort usually twice a day. I had dairy maybe once a week (mainly home made buttermilk waffles). And most weeks I'd eat 6 eggs? It wasn't shocking diet to a chips and coke everyday standard, but regardless I was in such poor form and my body just couldn't heal, my mind remained fuzzy, I could barely exercise if I tried, and OMG my sleep sucked. These days I feel so amazing that I hit the bed, close my eyes and I'm asleep. I recall countless nights of waiting to go to sleep, makes me sad remembering those years. :(

What you've stated I suspect holds true, as I see/hear what appears to be a lot of meat-centric dieters reporting of good results from simply dodging processed carbs. However I can't help but think that they'll prolly have butt cancer in 10-15 years if they keep up their keto ways.

10. adamsleath

adamsleath Member

yes we evolved to eat carbs./starch, rice and 'tatoes...and such.

potato salad is in the fridge.
    i haven't made falafel for a while but it's part of my healthy diet thing.

but it is actually laziness in eating a good diet that drives me to beef every now and then. it has a few vitamins in it that im sure i could suppliment more healthily with a range of veggies etc. i have about 6 eggs a week. occasionally some bacon, but not often.
    i have grown to dislike chicken, particularly the steroid filled yukko things ive gotten sometimes.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2019
  11. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Absolutely, I was heavily eating Chicken, Duck, Eggs and Fish for about 5 years, and I believe it was causing my ailments that all dried up the second I stopped eating them.

adamsleath likes this.
  12. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

you know there are billions of people eating meat that are perfectly healthy/fine as well

BuD and NSanity like this.
  13. Gunna

Gunna Member

Everyone is different, some people can manage to live just on meat and it appears to cure their auto immune conditions so one would have to guess there are some who need plant only diets as well.

NSanity likes this.
  14. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

You gotta be kidding me. Obesity, lifestyle related illnesses and chronic diseases are at epidemic proportions, you might want to look into them, I certainly have. Your grand parents would have eaten a chook once a month - if they were lucky, compared to these days, where you can get a bucket of fried chicken for $10.

15. NSanity

NSanity Member

It has very little do with meat-based protein, and far more to do with the abundance of snacking, portion size, jacking up sugar/flavour with high GI profiles making people hungry again sooner and the fact that soft drink went from an "occasional treat" to literally every meal apart from breakfast.

Ever notice that the side of potato that comes with your fried chicken is actually responsible for more of the kcal count? Mix in the cup of sugar next to it and you have your entire day's calories - for lunch (or worse for some, an afternoon snack).

Calories matter.
    Eating Habits matter.

If hooking up to Keto or Carnivore or Vegan allows you to break your eating habits, dramatically reduce your calorie intake whilst also allowing you to adhere to it - permanently - then good for you. For some it requires flipping to a LCHF diet, increasing their satiety in a meal (i.e feeling fuller, sooner, for longer). For others the ideology of vegetarianism or veganism is enough.

A very small percentage of the population actually succeeds with dieting (less than 5% over a 3 year period don't rebound beyond their starting weight). I doubt the solution is a one size fits all one.

The Vast majority of the populations problem is that they are overweight, over-consuming and flooded with carbs. Leading to some crazy figure of diagnosed and undiagnosed (or pre-imminent) type 2 diabetes. Anyway you can lose weight and get near healthy BMI is better than being borderline overweight/obese and up, and far outstrips any health concerns that Lancet/WHO will write about in the paper with largely poorly generated conclusions.

Yeah you might be 0.4% more inclined to get some form of colon cancer, but you about 60-80% less likely to die from heart disease or diabetes or some other string of ailments connected with being overweight.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2019
    Perko, Gunna and 2SHY like this.
  16. dirkmirk

dirkmirk Member

Its get back to what I was talking about before in regards to western diets,eating lean meats like chicken breast and kangaroo instead of pork chops and beef sausages for example, cutting back on processed crap like chips and lollies and the list goes on, it's not so much the animals but the cuts and how much processed wheat products people are eating(gluten, starch & glucose all comes from wheat).

So you could be a veagan and eat too much wheat based processed crap and your health will still be terrible.

I'm always skeptical of these amazing health benefit claims, did they really go from a healthy balanced diet or did they just take a sudden interest in health and becoming a veagan was part of an overall lifestyle change?

And that change could have been the same if they were smarter about the animal products they consumed.

Stooge007 likes this.
  17. peg

peg Member

Fried chicken is the most fattening food in the world, the USA is proof of this:

https://www.ajc.com/news/national/c...-fast-food-restaurant/Ng6nOwFJ02KY84dQEwOQhL/

[​IMG]

I would say that America's fetish for high fat food has a lot to do with their obesity problem. The recently popularity of low carb diets has seemingly done nothing to quell the USA's ever increasing obesity rate.
    https://www.stateofobesity.org/adult-obesity/

18. NSanity

NSanity Member

Fat content doesn't really matter. Your body holds onto excess carbs in fat cells.

This is amplified when you become insulin resistant (because you're overweight and swimming in excess glucose/carbs).

Fried chicken has less calories than hot chips - gram for gram. As it does rice.

Calories matter.
    Eating Habits matter.

A large big Mac meal (large fries, large coke) is 1350 kcal. This is 2/3rds my calorie intake for the day. Strip the coke and chips - its 563 kcal.

A 3 piece feed large is 2114 kcal. This is my entire calorie intake for the day. Strip the drink and chips and it's 735 kcal.

Reference I am 95kg and 184cm.

You want the most fattening food in the world? It's raw glucose. Or basically white bread.

No-one is eating pounds of raw fat. Yeah they are eating high fat macro food, but it's pretty hard to eat 100g of butter in a sitting. 100g of white bread though? No worries. Cups of sugar? Multiple times a day - absolutely.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
  19. Boneman

Boneman Member

Fattys are more of a western thing I guess. Aint nobody trying to sell me on V diets in Japan that's for sure.

20. Gunna

Gunna Member

It's also harder to overeat when it comes to a high protein\fat diet compared to a high carb diet, your body will allow you to over eat when it comes to sugar and carbs.

Ever gone to dinner and had the thought "Oh i'm so full...................but i'll make room for this slice of cake". Now put a piece of steak down with the same calories as that cake and you wouldn't touch it after saying you're full. Your brain will trick you\allow you to eat that cake for the couple of minutes of sweet pleasure