Plant Based Diets

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by tobes, Mar 7, 2018.

1. AlliZ

AlliZ Member

this year I started keto, really glad I did - my body responds really well to it. absolutely swear by it
    rip to all the animals that contributed to my success tho, god bless

2. OP
    OP
    tobes

tobes Member

We've had a great season for quite a few different fruits this year. I don't find it hard to get good fruit, even at most supermarkets (Coles/Woolies) the selection is decent. If you eat in season there's good fruit around. Also, people need to stop demanding that the fruit appears to be perfect and ripe when they buy it.

Also, Keto diets sure you can have good results. They are not however a sustainable long term lifestyle for eating. Short term results are good but long term you're carking it before you should.

3. Gunna

Gunna Member

Is this your opinion or any evidence to back that claim up?

I'm sure if we compare a keto diet to the standard western diet I know who is carking it early.

hint: it isn't keto

NSanity likes this.
  4. peg

peg Member

Your claims are based off unscientifically proven anecdotal evidence and read like Keto marketing. And there is an equally long list of side effects for Keto, including inferior athletic performance.

But yeah Keto is basically treading right now like, not gonna dispute that.

The carnivore diet is a bit of a fake diet, I mean currently it as much about trolling vegans as anything else. It might find an audience with the gymbros of the world and I think it has value as an elimination diet, especially for those people who have real food issues with carbs. But beyond that there's little point talking about such an unhealthy (cholesterol level over 9000) and unsustainable diet.

5. peg

peg Member

https://boldanddetermined.com/raw-meat-diet/

This is a decent example of Carnivore diet spiel, does this seem like unbiased scientifically accurate information to anyone? :lol:

And he's promoting raw meat too... which could potentially kill someone. :thumbdn:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2019 at 9:26 AM
  6. Perko

Perko Member

Wow look, there are nutters everywhere. Whodathunkit.

7. peg

peg Member

Trying to up your post count? Thanks for this valuable contribution.

8. Gunna

Gunna Member

I'll leave this here: https://www.ketonutrition.org/science

oh, and this one: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2716748/

Oh, and here is another 6088 studies with Ketogenic in the title:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/?term=ketogenic

Is it new? yes. Are the short term research showing positive outcomes? yes. Is more research needed? most certainly. Is it unfounded? I wouldn't say so

9. Perko

Perko Member

Just pointing out your usual attempts to discredit anyone who isn't a vegan.

10. peg

peg Member

It's the usual Keto spiel (more energy, increased mental clarity, etc) that I take issue with.

It's just MARKETING. :lol:

11. Gunna

Gunna Member

I've heard the same thing from a number of people who aren't related in any way. I know it is anecdotal but I would say it is likely to be true - no late afternoon insulin spike and crash etc.

12. peg

peg Member

More like my usual attempts to discredit hyperbole, broscience and diet industry spiel.

13. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Yes, but it's not that simple. Nutrient dense calories matter. Potatoes are a fairly complete whole food, and if prepared without oil, you can never over eat on them. Keep in mind that I dramatically increased my caloric intake on my vegan diet compared to my western eating a few years back. Calories are not the enemy, but rather, the lack of nutrients that encapsulate calories are the enemy. To put it simply, what do you think is healthier -eating an apple, or eating the caloric equivalent in olive oil.

My personal approach has been to consider what I eat as a life style choice - and not a diet.

Lean meats is a fallacy - compare meat with other foods such as a potato, and there's nothing lean about it. I think that the body prefers to burn either far or carbs, but not both, which is where most people get caught out. They're eating lean meats (loaded with fat) whilst also going the potatoes, breads and fruits - which is a mix of fuels. When I reflect on myself, I was not healthy, not feeling well, nor was I running marathons whilst consuming primarily chicken, duck and salmon. I obviously don't speak on behalf of all athletes though. :p

Yah, I believe they're staple mainly being rice and sweet potatoes, they're very carb centric. Have a look at the intergenerational changes of Japanese living in Hawaii. Grandparents, parents, kids ---> Slim, overweight, obese is the common observation, which is heart breaking.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 12:17 PM
    adamsleath likes this.
  14. Boneman

Boneman Member

Rice is a staple in Japan, sweet potato a treat. Portion sizes are small, and mixed with all food groups. Intermittent exercise is common (walking and riding a bicycle), and the amount of delicious natural tea drinks available keeps the sodas away. Also part of the culture to not get fat, its shameful.

15. nav

nav Member

Is Burger King in Tokyo still full of Japanese kids?

-nav.

16. Boneman

Boneman Member

Burger King is not so popular, McDonalds is killing it.

17. peg

peg Member

Carnivore YouTuber gets caught drinking the blood of his subs!

What a nutter. :rolleyes:

BurningFeetMan likes this.
  18. BuD

BuD Member

Unless you wanna sumo?

19. Boneman

Boneman Member

Yes but thats a whole other rabbit hole. :p

Donald Trump will be here for the tournament this year, should be popular. :wired:

20. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

well, the vegans seems to have more crazy per capita....

Last edited: Apr 16, 2019 at 1:04 PM
    BurningFeetMan likes this.