Plant Based Diets

Discussion in 'Geek Food' started by tobes, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Perko

Perko Member

That was my point, but now we're going to get YouTube mania by the look of it.

2. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

because it ads a little flavour to the discussion and perhaps a chuckle or two. :p

Perko likes this.
  3. Gunna

Gunna Member

4. Perko

Perko Member

5. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

Yesterday we visited Grill'd with their "Meat Free Monday" promo for lunch. We were greeted at the door by a friendly waiter with meat free burger samples and a vegan message for all inbound customers. I instantly seized upon the free samples, knowing good and well that it was free food and that we were eating there regardless. :lol: I hadn't had a Beyond Meat burger before, so stuffed my face with the sample, and apart from the price it was amazing! Got a little chatty with the waiter too, and turned out that he is vegetarian and absolutely excited about the future of burgers - his wife too ran in the race so we chatted of our experiences for a couple of minutes.

As we then ordered, sat and ate lunch, my partner and I both reflected on yesterdays marathon, how good we felt eating healthy to power our running for the past couple of years, and how this would prolly be the last burger we'd have in a while, regardless of it being vegan. Anyway, that's when the fun started. We sat outside but soon became a fly on the wall as inbound Grill'd customers entered the store to be greeted by the friendly waiter, where the conversation quickly devolved into what's...not ... on today's menu. For you see, Grill'd were offering "Meat Free Monday" - and all meat was actually off the menu.

"What do you mean, I can't order my usual burger today?" said an overweight young lady.
    "No meat!? Huh?!" said a fat child
    "Oh what non-sense!" said a senior sickly looking lady.
    And another young lady all shaken up, flailing her tuck-shop arms - "I'm a paying customer. Yeah? And you have my burgers in stock, yeah? So I can order what I want as I always have it!" ... :tired: I felt sorry for the waiter at this point.

"I hope you don't mind me overhearing your conversations. Judging from those responses, this sure has become an interesting social experiment!" I said to the waiter as I munched on my burger.

"It's all good. Our managers were prepared to accept this kind of response, however, this is just a taste of the future and they (the managers) believe in the BM Patty"

"So do I!!!!" I said with my mouthful smiling! Although knowing true and well that Australia's "culture" has such a very long way to go before being convinced of the many, many benefits to have by a plant based diet.

6. Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

Umm, this has to be a troll post of some sort....

7. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

:confused: Care to elaborate?

8. peg

peg Member

It's very odd that they would push meat-free days like this, not giving customers a choice!? I mean they're a burger joint... wtf?

The customers were right to be annoyed, forced vegetarianism from a burger place.... that is next level hypocrisy and toxic virtue signalling from Grill'd.

NSanity, the_fuzz and Gunna like this.
  9. Gunna

Gunna Member

upload_2019-4-17_9-15-0.png

eerrrr........isn't bacon meat?

10. peg

peg Member

http://www.wsfm.com.au/lifestyle/food-wine/grilld-has-gone-100-meat-free-selling-only-vegan-burgers

It was only that Monday... I thought for a minute it was going to be every Monday... :lol: :Paranoid:

But it sounds like they may have considered going mostly plant based if the Beyond burgers are a success.

11. frnak

frnak Member

Meh, Grilled are a private company and can choose to go vegan if they wish. It's still carbo loaded fast-food trash, regardless of whether the patty comes from an animal or a soybean.

If they decide to have a paleo day or use a keto bun then I'd be interested.

12. peg

peg Member

[​IMG]
    https://www.grilld.com.au/nutrition/low-carb

Enjoy some zucchini chips with that. :D

13. frnak

frnak Member

14. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

I don't understand, how is someone supposed to enjoy zucchini chips? :lol:

15. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Because nobody has said it yet.

The beyond burger beef patties are not healthier then your average beef patties.

Grilld are not a very good burger place anyway, if they want to be Vegan thats their choice.

Its important to know whats in a beyond burger patty.

Water, Pea Protein Isolate, Expeller-Pressed Canola Oil, Refined Coconut Oil, Cellulose from Bamboo, Methylcellulose, Potato Starch, Natural Flavor, Maltodextrin, Yeast Extract, Salt, Sunflower Oil, Vegetable Glycerin, Dried Yeast, Gum Arabic, Citrus Extract, Ascorbic Acid, Beet Juice Extract, Acetic Acid, Succinic Acid, Modified Food Starch, Annatto

I think it would be better named frankenstein patty.

Even if you ignored all of this, in terms of calories, carbs, sugar etc there is not a lot of difference between the patties that there would be a weight difference.

So in your mind all these people are getting fat based on magic. :lol:

Holding different animal or environmental views does not change your weight. I can only assume you've learnt some really incorrect information about Veganism.

You need to do some basic nutritional study so you understand basic facts, you could try going to your local Tafe.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    BurningFeetMan likes this.
  16. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

yep, i know quite a few overweight vegetarians/vegans

then again, i know quite a few overweight people who claim to "eat clean"

actually, maybe i just know a lot of overweight people, lol

17. Perko

Perko Member

If you don't drop your loaf of bread or packet of chips on the floor, I guess it's clean.

18. bart5986

bart5986 Member

If switching to Veganism was healthier then I would switch in a second.

I can eat all the sugar and carbs I want and not gain weight, sounds like magic.

Having a steak for dinner is great, but having sugar for dinner sounds better honestly, sugar is Vegan :D

19. BurningFeetMan

BurningFeetMan Member

You might like watching and hearing what Durianrider has to say on this. :lol:

20. bart5986

bart5986 Member

Oh some random Vegan Youtube guy?

Cool

Here's another random Youtube guy.

Youtube people are smart and have a quality education that people should listen to.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019