REVIEW Plasma Cutting "updated 4/5/15"

Discussion in 'Hobby Engineering' started by Mathuisella, Mar 31, 2015.

1. Ch4iS

Ch4iS Member

It's quite clear it's drawing too much for the circuit to handle, pay the $250 odd and get a 15A installed.

15A extension leads can be had from bunnnings as well, although not sure if you need a heavy duty extension lead for a plasma cutter, I know Tokentools who I purchased my welder from were offering heavy conductor 15A leads $40 for 10M from memory, I think it's just 2.5mm2 conductors instead of 1.5mm2.

2. OP
    OP
    Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

Renting.... no 15a points that I can see in the house, lease is up soon and roomies have decided to move.... just not going to waste the money,..... going to run a power meter amd make sure I keep the plasma cutters settings to run under 9 amp draw from the mains.

3. datfreak

datfreak Member

Some houses(ie mine) has a 15A socket in the power box next to the meters. I used it for welding etc

4. OP
    OP
    Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

Cheers, ill take a look when I get home. In between lectures at the moment.

5. Ch4iS

Ch4iS Member

6. OP
    OP
    Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

Used the plasma cutter a few times now, Yesturday was on my groups's uni project and well, it just turns steel into butter :p

it's a brilliant little piece of kit so far and can recommend it.

7. RobRoySyd

RobRoySyd Member

Just to clear up some of the confusion above.
    If a device is tripping a domestic circuit breaker then it's exceeding the rating of the circuit breaker not the power point. Typically domestic circuit breakers protecting a power circuit are rated at 16A or 20A. Installing a 15A power point which could also be protected by a circuit breaker of the exact same rating is almost certainly going to achieve nothing.

It's not that simple though. Domestic circuits typically have more than one outlet, it could be that other devices are also drawing current from the same MCB and the total current is what's tripping the breaker. If this is what's causing the MCB to trip then a dedicated 15A outlet on it's own circuit would cure the problem.

The other possibility is that it's a combination RCD/MCB and some earth leakage in the device is what's tripping the Residual Current Detector part of the RCB/MCB. If that's what's causing the problem then a dedicated 15A outlet will achieve nothing as it should also have RCD protection. In this case the device needs checking for safety reasons.

In conclusion if a device is most of the time working OK and only once in a while tripping a circuit breaker some understanding of why it's happening could save a lot of pointless expense.

8. Azrael

Azrael Member

The Ampfibian is a good solution for this, or a sub board version. On my welding trolley i have a pair of 15A welders that are currently used on 10A circuits (same situation as OP, renting). I have a 10A circuit breaker and RCD with ammeter setup on the side of the trolley with the 15A units plugged into it. Will trip at 10.4A according to the ammeter.

I had one of these until i upgraded to my AC/DC TIG with Plasma. The plasma cutter units themselves are half decent, although they tend to blow the scratch start cap in the unit. HF start will make things LOADS easier though.
    Also be conservative with your air, you only want enough to blow the molten metal away. Too little and it will re solidify when you move on, too much and you will get so much spatter that it will arc shut off the stuff that bounces back. From memory of mine about 20psi worked well.

9. duong01

duong01 Member

torch looks like a copy of the ESAB PT31 to me, in case you need to look for replacement tips and cups down the track

mind if we can have some pix of the cuts?

10. OP
    OP
    Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

I'll have to cut some more but the cuts are clean. more dependand on speed and my hand rather than the torch or plasma cutter itself.

Compressor is at a mates place, I'm picking it up on sunday. :)

11. Jenova

Jenova Member

where did you get it if you dont mind me asking ?

12. OP
    OP
    Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

I got it from Ebay. a seller in Sydney with free postage yay for approximately $250 if i remember right. an absolute steal as now they are all over ebay ect: for 2 grand!!!!
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Portable...15?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item43cc57971f

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Portable...15?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item43cc57971f

there are blue ones from hong kong @ $450

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CUT50-Di...84?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_15&hash=item27fb7b4afc

and there are ones in the USA, but you'd get killed on shipping....

so yeah, I think i lucked out in getting this one when i did....

13. MyDixiesNormous

MyDixiesNormous Member

Lol at 2k. They have probably put the price through the roof for some dodgy reason.

I was looking at a hypertherm a while ago for my work and that was just over 2k and those are the high end of portable plasma cutters. You cutter is perfectly capable for home use but it is more akin to the toyota corolla of machines.

The original price you paid for it is the correct market price.

14. Azrael

Azrael Member

It is usually because they are out of stock and just jack up the price to maintain the listing. That way it will still say X number sold.

$250 is about right for these, i picked up my TIG with plasma for about $700

15. OP
    OP
    Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

I agree on btoh counts, my unit is a nice home unit for the hobbiest, but it's not so great for throwing in the back of the ute and be a tradesman's tool. It just wouldn't take the beating that tradies dish out on their tools.

The price of mine is awesome. I paid the price for a 40 amp home unit, yet i got a 50 amp unit and postage included :D

at a mates place i got the chance to connect it up to a 15 amp outlet, it's soo good.... I'll be cutting the thickest piece of steel that i can find with it tomorrow.

16. @rt

@rt Member

Hi,
    I understand a complicated pattern would probably require some file sent to
    the person with the cutter, but just for future reference,
    if something were requested like a 30mm hole bang in the centre of a 36mm
    square of sheet metal, is that something you could just request without sending anything?

17. OP
    OP
    Mathuisella

Mathuisella Member

So, I hope this clip is enough to satisfy the curious as to the performance capabilities of this plasma :D

It's the first time i've tried to cut something so thick, yet it handled it with ease, any jaggies are my fault, needed to use a fresh tip. I also went slower than needed as i wasn't sure how well it was cutting through, it done betetr than i expected. The unit i got can go up to 60 Amps, ( according to the dial and LED display) but left it at 50, as 60Amps may be some overdrive function and i don't want to fry the unit.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omRwXQtQr-0

18. mad_mic3

mad_mic3 Member

Hey Math, if its cutting all the way through, you will hear a hissing sound:thumbup:

19. duong01

duong01 Member

Nice to see your plasma cutter working fine up and running.

You arent cutting through all the way there, should of change the tip and wear thinner gloves man lol

and don't be afraid of touching the tip down lol ... you only have to hold them up 2mm or so from the workpiece to initiate arc other than that you could just drag it across or invest in a tracka set.

20. Jenova

Jenova Member

wow that's crazy i got my cut-40 from a place in Perth called STAR products over here in Perth for about $300 2 years ago