Play for Free trend (not free-to-play)

Discussion in 'PC Games' started by power, Aug 22, 2014.

1. dmandn

dmandn Member

What he said!

2. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

not the same thing, demo's were normally cut down versions that had no specific limits around time (other than being timed not being restricted to a set weekend).

3. metamorphosis

metamorphosis Member

I think it's a good model, the main investment is download amount and time for most people, once that's locked in it's a fairly easy thing to just buy the game after-the-fact.

4. remlableinad

remlableinad Member

Personally I hope it pushes developers to create a game that catches you and keeps you there. Sick of buying a game (as demos are pretty much non-existent prior to release now...early access doesn't count) only to find its outright crap, unfinished or incredibly short.

I remember buying the old computer magazines that came with demos on the attached CDs. Playing the demo and wanting to buy the game once I finished it.
    The memories of the original GTA and Diablo are flooding back.

I can see why people illegally download games these days. It shouldn't be a gamble as to weather you actually really wanted the game. It should be genuine from your own 1st experience, not rendered clips on TV ads or a blog that is willing to blindly take money to write for the devs or has a set opinion on the dev and bases their critique with a biased view.

Anywho, im for it.

5. AvatarEK

There's some games I would never have even considered except that a free weekend has come up and I've picked it up.

I discovered today that Origin had titanfall on a free weekend, which I'd wanted to check out, but hadn't really thought of buying. It's normally $80, but now it's 65% off with that free weekend. I say "weekend", but it came up in the middle of the week. Between the fact I didn't notice it because I rarely open Origin, the download time, and the fact that 65% off $80 is still a little under $30, I'm probably going to give it a miss anyway.

Then there's free to play games which I pick up because, hey, free, and then find they are good enough that I think they are worth giving the devs a bit of $$ to get a little more out of it.