Playing 4K content on a non HDCP 2.2 compliant screen

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by FatBoyNotSoSlim, Mar 20, 2017.

1. FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

So I have a lovely Philips BDM4350UC that I use as my PC monitor. I also have a ChromeCast Ultra, that I use to cast Youtube/Netflix from my phone when I don't want to power up my desktop to watch some content.

Last night, I discovered that the lack of HDCP 2.2 for the HDMI ports result in 4K content not being possible to playback.

Doing some research into this, the one work around I've discovered is using a HDMI splitter between the device and the screen, which can sometimes advise that the screen is HDCP 2.2 compliant.

I'm just confused with how this all works. Does the splitter essentially inject the compliance tags on the signal, so when the CC Ultra asks the monitor if it can handle it, it's replying that yes I have a valid HDCP 2.2 signal, you're ok to send me 4K? Or does it strip it out, such that the CC Ultra thinks it's sending it, and the monitor will just play it back?

Here's some topics I've read. This one mentions that it'll strip out the HDCP tags:
    http://www.curtpalme.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39508&start=0&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=
    This one mentions that it'll just broadcast the HDCP tags on the despite the source:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/AndroidTV/comments/57gvf9/mi_box_4k_netflix/

Hence I'm not sure if what I'm reading is the same thing, and am not sure if what I'm reading is what I want to get achieved.

One of the splitters mentioned a few times, looks to be very similar to a model I can get locally at Jaycar; so I was going to pick one up and give it a try.
    https://www.jaycar.com.au/2-way-hdmi-2-0-uhd-splitter/p/AC1766

Can anyone decypher what I'm on about and help out? :thumbup:

Copie likes this.
  2. connico

connico Member

The splinters strip the HDCP encoding from the signal, its a common fix amounts AV guys when they want distribute foxtel to a distributed system.

3. ipv6ready

ipv6ready Member

Very interesting, good luck and if you succeed please report back.

4. OP
    OP
    FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

I'll be grabbing the Jaycar splitter this week to check out.
    Next on my list might be importing a cheap splitter that may/may not work.

I've also found this,
    https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=15242

Downconverts HDCP to 1.4, which my monitor will support, and many people have confirmed this works great for outputting 4K to non-HDCP 2.2 displays.

Copie likes this.
  5. the_antipop

the_antipop Member

I'm selling one of those here; http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=1217776

Let me know if you'd like it. It works. But I ended upgrading my TV.

Edit: Realised after clicking on the link I paid way to much for mine haha Dammit.

6. nCrypt

nCrypt Member

7. OP
    OP
    FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

Well the Jaycar splitter didn't work, so next up would be the Blackbird down convertor...
    Yes please. :)
    HDFury will also do this too, but is insanely overkill for my needs and price range.

Copie likes this.
  8. nibennett

nibennett Member

Looking at getting this monitor in the next day or two.
    Happy with it ?
    manage to get the 4k streaming going ?

9. OP
    OP
    FatBoyNotSoSlim

FatBoyNotSoSlim Member

It's fine as a monitor. I can see why people would prefer a curved one, I try not to put windows to the side due to eye strain.
    I have issues every now and then when I swear the monitor refreshes or handshakes, and the pixels move slightly left then right again. It's like an OCD thing where I swear it happens, but can't prove it.

As for the 4K, not yet, not from HDMI. I was contemplating a Mi Box for 4k streaming, but again, no guarantee that it'll do 4K Netflix over the HDMI ports, and I'm tired of throwing money at it. Booting up my PC will have to do for 4K footage.

Copie likes this.
  10. nibennett

nibennett Member

Thanks for that. Will research a little more but the 4k streaming issue is something that makes it very tempting to get a 4ktv as they'll have the hdcp 2.2, input lag isn't much different for a number of them and fairly competitively priced really. .

11. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

the nvidia shield tv will do 4k HDR netflix and amazon. i even have 4K HDR MKVs..so nice!