PlayStation 3 Firmware v3.10 RELEASED!

Discussion in 'Sony Consoles' started by DiGiTaL MoNkEY, Nov 17, 2009.

1. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

*Thanks to The Beast for the heads up!

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2009/11/playstation-3-firmware-v3-10-update/

Additional highlights from update 3.10 include:

The Photo category on the XMB has been revamped to make it easier to see more of your photos stored on the PS3.
    The PSN Friends List has been modified based on feedback we received after update 3.00. Additionally, you can now choose a color for your PSN ID on the XMB.
    To get a preview of what’s coming in update 3.10, check out the video below:

2. Jarnzie

Jarnzie Member

Goodie, they improved the friends list :thumbup:

3. smack01

smack01 Member

Poor effort, spend your time on something more useful!!!

4. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

What could Sony's firmware development team be doing that would make a really big difference?

5. ice_cool

ice_cool Member

cross game chat!
    Ability to sort friends lists - i have like 30 friends on psn and i know it's not that many but it still would be nice to group them (i.e. uni, ocau, people i play ____ with)

6. chokeeweebee

chokeeweebee Member

Unlock the hypervisor, allow us to install linux on the slims, add better communication tools for gamers, add usb wifi adapter support for those who want wireless N or those with no wifi at all, add in external hard drive ntfs support, add .mkv to the list of formats playable in the ps3, and ummm add in ps2 emulation for those of us who are unfortunate enough to have bought our ps3's cheap

7. dmandn

dmandn Member

3d graphics drivers for linux...........with full access to rsx gfx.

8. The Beast

The Beast Member

Apart from PS2 BC (which has been done to death, and is DEAD), there is nothing on that list that either appeals to the non-hardcore or can't already be done.

Unlocking the hypervisor ain't gonna happen, for starters the current gen PS3 (ie: the future of sales as far as Sony is concerned), can't run linux. And of course, you and I know they won't unlock it for fear of turning the machines into pirate boxes.

You can get wifi N through a number of ethernet bridge devices, including Madcatz latest.

.mkv faces the same problems as unlocking the hypervisor - you think Sony don't know who uses .mkvs? :Pirate: To get the .mkvs you're going to need a computer, and with that computer you can stream them anyway (try PMS for starters). It's a nicety, but only a small small percentage of PS3 users would even care if this were added. Believe it or not, the internet vocalists out there don't represent the bulk of the market, not even a sliver.

External NTFS? Ok I can see why that would be of use to a few people, but most if not all external drives sold these days are still Fat32 right? So are USB sticks. It's probably quite an undertaking to include the layers required to read and write NTFS into the PS3 OS, which they need to keep as slim and light as possible in order to maintain speed. Remember, the OS now runs off the HDD as it has grown beyond the size of the internal flash memory (not even sure the Slim has the flash memory anymore). How would having NTFS compatibility be a selling point for Sony? How is it going to help them sell more consoles either through advertising or word of mouth? Nobody cares - NTFS means nothing to the average Joe on the street.

Facebook on the otherhand...

9. SLATYE

SLATYE SLATYE, not SLAYTE

They could probably do this in a few minutes, but why would they?

For most people, what they've done now is more useful. Hardly anyone used Linux on the PS3 even when it was available.

Such as? Isn't this more a problem for the game developers?

Yes, that'd make sense. I guess it depends whether they can make a generic driver for all 802.11n adaptors.

Not going to happen, because MS isn't going to tell Sony how to read NTFS. Blame MS for that.

Yes, that'd be useful.

If they could do this, they would have done it already (to stop everyone complaining when they removed PS2 support). I think that by now, they've decided that it simply isn't feasible to do this without additional hardware (as in the PAL 60GB consoles). It's no longer worth the investment, because most people who want to play PS2 games will already have a PS2 (since they're so cheap) and the number of people who want to play PS2 games is dwindling rapidly.

10. ice_cool

ice_cool Member

plus now idc, the only ps2 game i actually want to play is now on ps3....go GOW

eidt: i take that back all we need is shadow of colossus

11. DrClaw

DrClaw Member

I'm still waiting for them to remove the region restriction for PS1 games so that my imported copy of Raiden DX can be played on my PS3.

That's all i'm waiting for really... lol. Oh and some way of copying 1080p movies to and from the PS3 via USB - doing it via ethernet is ok, but it would be better if I could just plug in an external drive with some kind of file system that supports greater than 4gb files.

12. jbomb

jbomb Member

Just another update too me......:rolleyes:

13. pheonix991

pheonix991 Member

14. tht

tht Member

It'd be fantastic if Sony did something similar to Apple's iphone and created an SDK and an associated store for developers to create apps and add-ons for the XMB. I'm thinking a revamped video viewer like XBMC, browser add-ons, and other computationally intensive apps that could tap into Cell's power.

The only thing I like about the new update is the grid picture gallery view option.

15. MoNk{LAH}

MoNk{LAH} Member

i would love the ability to group friends

16. VippiN

VippiN Member

All I want is to be able to make folders through the XMB for movie files, etc.

17. SaMbO

SaMbO Member

lol, best Smiley useage i've seen in some time...
    and true too! :lol:

groups would be nice but my list isnt that extensive that i dont know who's who (OCAU, MATES or RANDOMS from Gaming Online, some would fit in two catagories... ZOMG my head just explo

18. Oblong Cheese

Oblong Cheese Member

I'm sure that Microsoft and Sony can work out a cross-licencing deal where Sony gets to make PS3 read (and write) NTFS, and Microsoft gets to upgrade their console to play BluRay. :lol:

19. The Beast

The Beast Member

You can do that now, but it's laborious. Go to the movie file you want to put in a folder (they call it an 'album') and hit triangle. Then scroll to 'Information' and in that you will see a spot to change the Album name. Make a name like "Action Movies" and the video will now belong to that Album name. If you subsequently hit Square to change the sort order to 'Sort by Album' you will see your new Album name "Action Movies" and any others you have created in the top level of the XMB under videos.

Unfortunately there is no way to do this for multiple files at once, you have to do it for each file. Same is true for photos, but even more painful as you usually have many more photos that movies.

Perhaps this is what you meant, but I would love a firmware update that allows you to do this for multiple files.

20. Zerstorer

Zerstorer Member

The only thing I see that is particularly lacking from the PSN service is the lack of a good web backend like My Xbox provides, with an achievement (trophy) list that you can look over and easily compare with others. There are alternatives like PS3TrophyCard, but it's nowhere near as well made as what Sony could do.

That and cross-game party chat, but they're apparently adding that in.