1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Playstation 4 Pro - November 10 2016 - $AUD559 RRP

Discussion in 'Sony Consoles' started by power, Mar 26, 2016.

1. giles666

giles666 Member

I have a gaming PC, I don't use it much cause it's a pain in the arse to play games on compared to the PS4.

You have to put up with Windows and Steam and fuck around with drivers and settings. Compared with just download on PS Store and press X to play. PS4 is just a much nicer overall experience.

Also my PC cost the same as three PS4s.

I don't see why people are upset about this. You can keep your old PS4 and miss out on nothing or spend a little bit of money and get the new PS4 and some better graphics. No-one loses anything here!

2. NiRdoC

NiRdoC Member

Agreed. :thumbup:

3. DiGiTaL MoNkEY

DiGiTaL MoNkEY Inverted Monkey

Sony announces PlayStation 4 Pro with 4K HDR gaming for $399USD

[​IMG]

http://www.theverge.com/2016/9/7/12748316/sony-ps4-pro-announced-price-specs-release-date

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/ps4-neo-officially-revealed-as-ps4-pro-specs-relea/1100-6443352/

The full specs of the PS4 Pro can be found below:
    •Main processor: Custom-chip single Processor?CPU: x86-64 AMD "Jaguar," 8 cores
    ?GPU: 4.20 TFLOPS, AMD Radeon™ based graphics engine

•Memory: GDDR5 8GB
    •Storage size: 1TB
    •External dimensions: Approx. 295×55×327 mm (width × height × length) (excludes largest projection)
    •Mass: Approx. 3.3 kg
    •BD/DVD Drive: BD × 6 CAV, DVD × 8 CAV
    •Input/Output: Super-Speed USB (USB 3.1 Gen.1) port × 3, AUX port × 1
    •Networking: Ethernet (10BASE-T, 100BASE-TX, 1000BASE-T)×1, IEEE 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac, Bluetooth® 4.0 (LE)
    •Power: AC 100V, 50/60Hz
    •Power consumption: Max. 310W
    •Operating temp: 5ºC – 35ºC
    •AV Output: HDMI out port (supports 4K/HDR) DIGITAL OUT (OPTICAL) port

[​IMG]

4. Yerolo

Yerolo Member

One thing that needs to be mentioned here is that the PS4 Pro does not support 4K Bluray (UHD) playback.

Seems like a baffling decision on Sony's part for a machine squarely aimed at the 4K market. In the other corner, Microsoft's Xbox One S supports it

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. mils1

mils1 Member

No 4k Bluray playback is a massive screw up.

6. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

So it's official - this will be an interesting time.

7. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

I'm keen to get one. I've always been a late adopter in terms of console and seeing Neo "rumors" creeping up to Christmas, it made me wait. I'll definitely pick up one, not sure what to do with the old PS3 and XB in the lounge, probably will gumtree it.

So $399USD, what's that translate to by the time it hits our shores? $1KAUD?

8. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I'd be hoping closer to $600

9. dropbear8mybaby

dropbear8mybaby Member

Didn't they invent Bluray? Weird.

I think now my only choice is whether or not to wait and see if prices drop on the old PS4. A 4k HDR TV is soooooo far away for me that it's not worth getting the Pro.

10. dropbear8mybaby

dropbear8mybaby Member

Unless you have a 4k TV with HDR, is there really any point to getting a PS4 Pro?

11. giles666

giles666 Member

12. mils1

mils1 Member

I would rather put my money towards a new GPU that can actually handle 4k. The focus on gaming is kind of weird, what happened to versatility.

13. ChinoPD

ChinoPD Member

Games.

Don't have a 4K TV... Yet. Anytime soon though. Hopefully this release might help drive prices down. But yes, games. More fps.

14. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

they've announced other improvements in graphics for lower resolutions (extra effects, etc) and I'd imagine there'd be a nice solid framerate to go with it.

I think we'll get the best idea when it's out, games are out and tech sites start doing comparisons.

One thing I'm concerned about is this really, when you give a developer more grunt they tend to get lazier or push out to those limits. I wonder how Sony will handle devs who do shitty ports that struggle framerate wise on the regular PS4 and slim but run fine on the Pro. (I'm actually thinking specifically here about games like Fallout 4 that have known performance and optimisation issues).

Just imagine a scenario - and this will happen where a dev releases a game, it runs like arse on the current and slim but runs fine on the Pro. This is a scenario that PC gamers are fine with and mobile users deal with but it's going to be a new experience (and a shitty one) for console gamers on the one platform.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  15. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Member

They will release a model with a 4k player close to the time the Scorpio will be released. They are just milking the market and taking advantage of all the fanboys.

16. mils1

mils1 Member

They can do as they please, I certainly got put off buying a console and have no more plans in doing so.

17. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

Having a bit of extra power with Polaris inside is nice, given it should be around 4.5-5Tflops in the performance world I don't think that will be sufficient to run games at native 4K, they will probably run at 1440P or something and get upscaled.

The biggest issue for me is no UHD Bluray support, why would they do that?

So going of this the Scorpio is the only one that looks interesting at this point, really thought they would push this a bit further to compete with Scorpio, guess they don't care given how many PS4's they have sold so far :)

18. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

I was pretty shitty about the lack of 4K blue ray drive but tbh I haven't bought a movie on a physical disc in at least 12months.

Streaming and digital distribution is the way forward whether you like it or not!

19. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I heard 4.2 which is a nice bump.

Scorpio might do something but it will all be too late, Sony are already miles ahead and now they'll have Christmas 2016 with Slim, Pro and VR all on the shelves and what's MS got? One S, lol what poor gamer is going to get one of those?

Scorpio to succeed should be proper next gen, XB One is dead. I'll say this though, that could be a legit strategy.

20. TheWatcher

TheWatcher Member

The issue with this release is that it will only last a year as top of the range in the line. Sony will need to release anther model to rival the Scorpio towards the end of next year. If I had a current ps4, I would not voter with the pro. Better to wait for the pro pro which is bound to be released end of next year.