1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Playstation 4 Pro - November 10 2016 - $AUD559 RRP

Discussion in 'Sony Consoles' started by power, Mar 26, 2016.

1. poleposition

poleposition Member

I can deal with adapting to the market but the whole situation makes me now feel like I don't have a "Next Gen" system. Even so at the current model the PS4 is a pretty decent bit of cash.

I still think the older ps4 will be put into the old lime light pretty quickly on the release of the PS4 Pro. Although games will run on both machines it does seem a bit pointless to not be using the full graphical improvements of the new gaming machine from day one.

I am glad they are maintaining the PS4 even after the new machines release, but to be honest the console is not even 3 years old yet.

For some reason the connection between VR and PS4 Pro occurring around the same time make me concerned (that maybe VR won't work well as well as planned on the current ps4 console).

I will likely still keep my current machine for many years to come.

2. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I agree with this to a degree - the thing that gives me real hope that Sony will properly support the old console is the Slim. Without it yeah they'd grandfather the original PS4 faster than anything.

3. poleposition

poleposition Member

Interesting point you make, maybe it could in fact be a strategy. If they "give up" on the XBone then in theory they could in fact make a completely unique console without any responsibility to the current console (in terms of running on both new and old machine) and this move in itself could set the scorpio well apart from PS4.

When you think about it, the PS4 pro will look better in resolution but by technical standards it can only be as good as what can essentially run on the PS4 console (with some developers adding some components) but by no means can they redesign games in the fashion that a brand new console can (that has games using 100% of the capability from day one).

Sorta like how PS2 games were redone for PS3. The fundamentals of the game had remained the same, it was only tweaks and performance improvements on the newer system.

4. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

I think the Scorpio is "Next Gen" as that is the way the industry seems to be moving, no more Xbox 3,4,5, etc, just Xbox and Windows and PlayStation.

So the scorpio is going to be a massive jump, Sony have put out this Pro that is kind of meant to go up against the Scorpio, sure it's first but it's a lot further behind in terms of performance.

This time next year MS will have a pretty enticing product and I don't know how many people will jump from PS4 to a mildly faster Pro this xmas, unless you have a 4K TV of course, which in that case the lack of UHD BluRay support is really stupid, the Xbox S has that.....

5. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

I doubt we will see another upgrade in 12months but the specs of the Scorpio are going to make it $$$ and Sony could smack em with a $50US dollar price drop or great bundle deal.

No matter how good the Scorpio is it will be the price that will determine its success.

6. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I think this is absolutely the way they'll go.

I said it earlier, they've seen all that sweet cash that people throw at pocket computers and they want some.

7. Sipheren

Sipheren Member

Exactly, welcome to a platform and not so much hardware, everything Windows compatible playing in scaled forms across multiple iterations of hardware....

Kind of sounds like another model I have know about for many years lol

I still stand by my thought that both PlayStation and Xbox will become services that you stream through dongle like devices to your TV or through an App on your PC. Hardware upgrades are probably less profitable compared to a subscription service.

8. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

I believe both Sony and Microsoft see this as the future and have done so for many years now.

Now all we need is decent internet connections and it'll happen, unfortunately illiterate old white men seem to keep getting in the way of this.

9. raincloudx

raincloudx Member

1 year is massive, PS4 is already around double the Xbox One in terms of units sold, the PS4 pro and Slim expands the product range and should help increase the lead even further.

10. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

hilariously and to add insult to injury - MS thought ok, we'll court PC who they've treated like shit for years how - taking away from PC franchises like Halo and Gears to try and bolster the XB Brand and have made steps to leverage their ownership of that market so what did Sony do? Here you go PC, have streaming and PS Now.

11. giles666

giles666 Member

Because Bluray sales are terrible.

Most people stream. There just isn't much demand for BluRay.

Really hoping that Sony move to an annual refresh cycle (Like phones) and just do a spec bump every year.

12. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

yeah it's got to be them trying to predict the market - physical is down but not out and digital is very much on the rise, if they time it right they could save millions.

13. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

this sux.. my ps4 is also now redundant, more grunt under hood then original ps4 means less framerate drops in bf4 etc.. too soon Sony, too soon :p

I would buy UHD bluray here and there, like most aussies I cant stream 4k so I would need to buy a disc.

Also yearly updates are good and bad.. not good for your pocket, but good to keep pushing games faster and consoles might keep up with PC's bit better.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  14. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

you can trade him in?

[​IMG]

15. walker_2003

walker_2003 Member

$350 isn't very cheap but not too bad of a deal I guess. I wont be bothering, next console will probly be Scorpio.

16. Mynamewastaken

Mynamewastaken Member

$559 is a decent price IMO. And that's EB. So bound to be cheaper elsewhere.

I've been holding off on replacing my 8 year old (jesus :tired:) PS3 until the Slim was out. Think I'll go straight for a Pro now.

17. ndt

ndt Member

decent price. will be upgrading then.

18. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

especially when you consider the X Box One S is currently $499 for 1TB it's even more competitive.

Sony are being very smart here, they are going to kill XB over the Christmas period again. Which will mean even more potential PS+ subscribers.

19. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

Me Too I just gotta convince my better half! :wired:

20. poleposition

poleposition Member

That deal from eb isn't too bad.

But they are giving $210 for the console and a game. Probably better off selling second hand earlier than later.