1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Playstation 4 Pro - November 10 2016 - $AUD559 RRP

Discussion in 'Sony Consoles' started by power, Mar 26, 2016.

1. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

OCAU group buy, lol.

2. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

hahaha

looks like shit!

3. dropbear8mybaby

dropbear8mybaby Member

Hey, that could bring in some serious money and make night look good to his bosses. It's not that bad an idea.

4. elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

You've lost me here. How is it not?

You can't make that claim across the board. Resolution is only one factor in what pushes hardware. If the game engine isn't doing anything particularly taxing, pushing it to 4x the res doesn't mandate 4x the hardware power.

Doubling polygons, light sources or texture size often hurts a game more than just the rendered output resolution. Depends entirely on the engine.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  5. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

i wished i worked for SCE, but i don't. i work for their company that does the DVD and BD mastering and authoring so I see people design covers and menus for movies that are still in theatres. Unfortunately i don't touch that stuff since I do websites for them.

6. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

So PS4 Pro group buy? Yah?

7. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

8. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

seriously it looks like shit!

9. philscomputerlab

philscomputerlab Member

Well I was always hoping for shorter release cycles of hardware. Glad it's happening.

I admit I only play the PS+ / Gold games, that keeps me busy. I will get the Pro as soon as PS+ games show a benefit. I feel that there will be benefits for 1080p TV owners, be it higher frame rate or some form of nice AA.

Either way, I like what's happening.

I gave the current graphics cards (RX480 / 1060) a pass, I'm just not feeling it at the moment when it comes to PC gaming.

10. Yerolo

Yerolo Member

Although I have no interest myself in getting a PS4 Pro or Scorpio, it is good for the industry as a whole with the consoles receiving a mid gen upgrade.

The prolonged PS360 generation held back the industry in alot of ways...with the PC receiving subpar ports as a result.

11. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

12. gregpolk

gregpolk Member

Thats fine in games where the game engine isn't doing anything particularly taxing, and I'm sure there will be plenty of games hitting a sustained 4K output. But in AAA titles that are already struggling to hit sustained 1080p60 (or 30fps for that matter) and having to rely on variable resolutions or tolerating dips in frame rates, these games will not possibly run at native 4k. The game engine is clearly clearly doing something particularly taxing, or if it weren't the current hardware wouldn't have to bump the resolution down or take a dip in frame rates from time to time.

I grant you, it may not require precisely 4x the power. But it will take a lot more than 2.2x the graphics power to take a game that is already struggling to hit 1080p60 solidly, and make it run at 4x the resolution without taking a single frame hit to the FPS. Keep in mind that to do Neo mode from the leaked documents the game absolutely can not perform at a lower frame rate than the standard console. Don't forget as well that Neo mode is not just about pushing a higher resolution, but also higher graphics fidelity in general. So you're dealing with a game running at or close to 1080p on one set of hardware, now having to run at 4x the resolution, with the in game settings kicked up from medium to high, and HDR taking a small bite of performance as well, and in doing this it can't run a single FPS slower.

That's not a bad thing. It doesn't need to hit native 4k to provide an excellent graphics experience. 1080p upscaled to 4k at a solid frame rate would play a lot better for many games than 4k native at <30fps. They'd be better served by not targeting native 4K and focusing on an improved resolution and then upscaling while using greater graphics settings and frame rate, and they've expressed in the past that this is what Neo is about. Sony isn't dictating that devs have to do 4k. They can use the resources how they wish. The only condition really is that PSPro neo mode can't perform at all worse than the normal version, the normal version can't perform like shit, and there can't be PSPro exclusives.

Take note of developer comments like this which make it pretty clear that major titles like Battlefield 1 and Mass Effect Andromeda are not going to be native 4k.
    http://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/PS4Scaling.png
    The only dev I've seen confirm native 4k support is Naughty Dog for the last of us, and as you put it, that game engine probably isn't doing anything taxing (since it's a PS3 game). That and Elder Scrolls Online. Is anyone aware of any other games confirmed for native 4K?

Its excellent news for PC gamers. Personally I'm less excited about getting a PS Pro or Scorpio, and more excited for them to both continue on with similar architecture with each iteration so that my library of Xbone/PS4 games will still work on the PSproproproXL and Xbox Aquarius in 9 years time. This generation has had far too many full priced ports of previous generation titles with a coat of paint on them. Now that paid coat of paint will be (or should be) a free patch, and the game should always work on new hardware. That's cool stuff.

Interesting how the mass market clearly has no issue spending $1000 on a new phone they don't need every 2 years, but many don't like the idea of console iteration every ~3 years.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2016
  13. elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

You can see the contradiction in your posts here, right? Not across the board, as I said. As long as you're qualifying the statement and not applying it to everything, then fair enough. But blanket statements will come back to bite you.

I think many gamers who have no experience in development underestimate the effort required to constantly deliver a "next gen" experience. Even with consoles getting these more frequent refreshes, you're not going to see the constantly-bleeding-edge PC gaming you want.

Development budget holds that back far more than anything else. It's not a trivial matter. And the financial rewards are low, when every man and his dog pays minium price for everything, waiting until it's $2 on a Steam Sale.

There'll be plenty. The thing came out last week. Be patient.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  14. ndt

ndt Member

I heard that the statement was misinterpreted. They weren’t referring to users paying to ugrade games to 4k, they were more meaning the game studio would have to pay a fee to patch the game to 4k.

15. HellsAngel

HellsAngel Member

Is anyone going to trade their current PS4 for the PS4 Pro deal with EB Games?

People on other forums were saying it is not worth it, I am not sure what to do, I have had my current PS4 since launch day :p

16. Sledge

Sledge Member

Sell your current PS4 and get the new one..
    EB Games deals are NEVER worth it money wise
    They bank on ppl being lazy and cash in on the convenience factor

17. ndt

ndt Member

EB end up buying your old PS4 for $210. Ebay sees PS4's selling for $300-$350 but they will steal 10%(remember when it was $5 to list stuff on ebay??) of your sale price. Here and Gumtree seems to be around $250-300.

Sooo its up to you. I think $210 is not too bad for the convenience of not having to deal with selling your PS4 yourself.

18. giles666

giles666 Member

Yeah, the convenience of just walking in a swapping is worth it to me.

Time is a way more valuable resource than money.

19. OP
    OP
    power

power Member

steal, lol

it's the classic trade in model.

20. PsychoSmiley

PsychoSmiley Member

I could sell my current PS4, still has PT installed and could make even more!