1. Win some Crucial goodies in OCAU's Christmas Treasure Hunt!
    Dismiss Notice

Playstation classic!!!

Discussion in 'Sony Consoles' started by Drizz06, Sep 19, 2018.

1. power

power Member

elvis likes this.
  2. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

I wonder if there's a better emulator that you could load LUL

JSmithDTV likes this.
  3. power

power Member

no doubt you can roll in your own emulator, adjust the current one etc.

4. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

The one that's there works pretty well (relative to the CPU power) with better settings. 480p (2x scale) internal rendering, scanlines and forced 60Hz everything are a good start to making it less crap.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    WuZMoT likes this.
  5. power

power Member

6. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

Entirely speculative but hopefully as simple as:

1. replacing the emulator files on nand with a newer build (configured with hotkey combination for settings mapped to stock controllers)
    2. replace the game files on nand (.pbp is my guess) OR index from flash drive.
    3. possibly replace a game index file (if not just using directory scan to index) and cover art (if not embedded in pbp files)

You could probably replace the whole front end but I reckon it's elegant enough.

7. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

There are so many better options to play PS1 games...

JSmith

8. elvis

You're rapidly getting into "throw the PCB out, keep the case and controllers, fit a RPi3A+ inside" territory. :lol:

9. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

$54.18 for an A+ delivered and a 32GB microSD card. If I see one of these secondhand/preowned as new for $95.82 or less I'll buy it and conquer that territory.

elvis likes this.
  10. frnak

frnak Member

Forgive my ignorance, what do they mean encrypted with a public key?

11. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

Not sure what you mean about the PS mini, but I gather you mean a publically available encryption key that is free to use and doesn't require payment?

JSmith

12. elvis

I don't know the specifics of this console, but historically Sony sign all their code and content to prevent third party software executing the content, and/or third party content being added.

But again, I have no idea what they've done for this console, as details are scarce so far. I'm sure it'll all be outed, documented, wiki'ed, github'ed and open sourced in a matter of hours/days because the disorganised, amateur pirate/hacker community is better at software than the world's biggest professional corporates.

13. frnak

frnak Member

14. elvis

In public-key cryptography you encrypt with a public key and decrypt with a private key. It's asymmetric encryption, unlike symmetric encryption which uses the same key for both (apologies if that's obvious, we're outside of the enterprise forums here, so I'm not assuming anything). Conversely you sign something with a private key, and verify the signature with a public key.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public-key_cryptography

I'm not sure of the details of how this was hacked, nor am I certain as to what all the lulzing in that thread was about. The video is quite blurry and it's hard to tell what's going on, and the machine-translated Japanese makes no sense to me. It appears to be a serial console being shown capturing boot/init, and then the person logs in simply as "root" with no password. (There's continual kernel/syslog logging to TTY1 that goes over the BASH prompt, but you can still make out the fact that he's on a very standard Linux/BASH command line despite that).

But I can't imagine that's all there was to it. I'm assuming the "hack" was to get the serial access in the first place. How that relates to a "public key", I have no idea. I'll wait for someone articulate and technical to explain it in the coming days, rather than pages full of "lulwut" posts. Anything I'd write here would be pure guessing on my behalf (although I've had to break into Linux machines before for valid business reasons, but it would still be guessing specific to this device).

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
  15. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

It seems that the classic has a tough time playing the NTSC games at the full 60hz. Hmmm.... No wonder they put in the PAL versions.

JSmithDTV likes this.
  16. ni9ht_5ta1k3r

ni9ht_5ta1k3r Member

What I want to do is get a raspberry pi and desolder one of the USB stacks so I can extend them and stick them on a daughter board while using the other 2 ports for internal storage like a 60gb SSD if they still exist and stick it into a 3D printed case :D

17. melatonin

melatonin Member

I was thinking under a week, this was extremely quick.

In a broader-way I think it's a great cat and mouse game, things are locked down and people hack them, lets the kids know these things are possible. Whether its a snes mini, psc or jailbreaking an ipad. Gives me a little hope sometime.

Also even if sony ballsed this up in alot of ways, your gonna get the PS1 retro scene going abit as well as slight resurgence in the emulation scene, some kid with some free time is gonna go to town on the psc and make it great again ;)

18. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

I gave cluster 48 hours :lol: :lol:

19. elvis

Sure. But even I can do a better job than whoever put this thing together. Makes me wonder exactly who was in charge of this device. It just screams "outsourced", which is weird for a company as big as Sony.

20. JSmithDTV

JSmithDTV Member

If you watch the video I posted there are many better ways to enjoy PS1 games... plus he mentioned a R Pi may not cut the mustard. ;)

JSmith