Playstation classic!!!

Discussion in 'Sony Consoles' started by Drizz06, Sep 19, 2018.

1. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I've dealt with consumer law in retail a lot and I can't remember a situation like this ever happening. Sure I've seen people approach the reseller about price drops a day or so after purchase. This is kind of reasonable and inevitably happens from time to time. The bizarre nature of this situation is it's a 40% price drop less than 30 days after release.

2. elvis

elvis Old school old fool

It really makes me wonder why it happened. Was this a price drop from Sony? Or are retailers dumping stock independently?

3. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

My experience is strictly with independent retail rather than chains like EB/JB. It's pretty common for retail competitors to match a price on something or have it within a few dollars which I'm sure you've noticed before when shopping around. If they do it independently though then one has to set the price before others match it. Both EB and JB have dropped to $89 practically overnight. That's not to say there isn't some guy in charge of marketing at EB or JB who's job it is to monitor the competitors pricing releases and then amend their pricing last minute before the majority of consumers even wake up in the morning.

There could be a Sony rep pushing it due to the poor sales and if it's below the original cost price they are probably being reimbursed for the loss.

I tell you what's fantastic though - Scalpers on ebay with these listed higher than $150 thinking they were going to capitalize on this being another supply/demand debacle like the nintendo minis. Sucked in you scum!

frnak and elvis like this.
  4. elvis

Always makes me smile to see a scalper lose money. I genuinely hope the days of retrogaming being a target for scalpers is over.

Daft_Munt and WuZMoT like this.
  5. melatonin

melatonin Member

Weird to drop it before boxing day.

Maybe sony doesn't have the nostalgia pull that Nintendo does.

6. elvis

They absolutely do. The difference is the quality of the product. Whilst Nintendo also made an "emulator in a box", they offered a far higher quality version rather than this rush job.

Sadly the execs won't understand that, and merely label old games a "market failure", entirely missing the nuances of why they missed the mark.

mikezilla2 and WuZMoT like this.
  7. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

Well I popped into the EB store this afternoon, they couldn't give me a refund so they gave me a store credit of 60 bux which I'm perfectly fine with.

WuZMoT likes this.
  8. Vanne

Vanne Member

wow!! that worked? I am shit outa luck trying to get a refund.. awell… sucks buying gen 1, sucks buying on release day.. what a complete and utter fuck up! but at the end of the day, were still breathing, so that's alright, now where my JD & Coke... :D

9. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Still waiting for sub $50 to get the classic... It took 20 days to go from $150 to $90, so I'll be able to get a $50 one in what 2 more weeks?
    Because it's the only sony console that's flopped horribly, it will probably be worth more than ps1/2/3/4/5/P/Vita etc in 20-30 years :lol:

Also, Vanne, buy a new one for next to nothing and take the sealed new one back to the shop you paid $150 from.. product isn't even 30 days old yet.
    Or return it for not working properly, which I've heard it doesn't. Many options, just pick the easiest.

Vanne likes this.
  10. Vanne

Vanne Member

I'd love to, but bought mine in Dallas, USA. Lol I won't get back to the states next month, which is why I am shit outa luck.

11. FIREWIRE1394

FIREWIRE1394 Member

Damn.

But if you enjoy it, (or mod it to enjoy it) all worth it then ;)

12. Vanne

Vanne Member

Lol yeah, haven't opened it yet lol, too many things on the go, but yeah I'll mod it, and see if it can be over clocked a bit.
    It'll be good anyhows.

13. elvis

2 months and Sony will be paying you to take one.

Reaper and FIREWIRE1394 like this.
  14. Reaper

Reaper Member

Seems like the best bet is to buy original hardware and look for a PSIO.

mR_CaESaR likes this.
  15. mR_CaESaR

mR_CaESaR Member

What sorcery is this PSIO?

It's like a GDEMU but for PS1! Is there a PS2 equivalent?

16. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

17. Vanne

Vanne Member

That PSIO is really intresting.. did all models pf the PS1 come with the Parallel port?

18. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

they removed it at some point, I believe it's less rare than the original RCA out ports however.
    I might pick up a PSIO at some point. I really like having non-disc based solutions to circumvent inevitable laser failure.

Vanne likes this.
  19. Reaper

Reaper Member

Even though it might be more expensive at first, at the very least you have the best thing; original hardware. Back up your original software to the device and you're set.

I also watched a video this morning of a bloke fixing a doa gamestop refurbished PS; looks like the laser is super easy to replace and just floats in there.

20. WuZMoT

WuZMoT Member

I have a slim PS2 in my arcade cabinet for playing PS1 light gun games and while it's not a major inconvenience to change the disc I could put my PS1 in there with a PSIO to make things slightly easier. I've done a laser swap on a PS1 before and it is easy to do + relatively cheap. There are slight variations of the laser module and it's not 1 size fits all. Specifically the ribbon cable length can be different (one i bought seller sent me the wrong one even though i triple checked compatibility per their listing).

I'll happily emulate PS1 but when it comes to light guns you do need original hardware be that a PS1 or PS2. I even tried running the POPS emulator on the PS2 but that emulator doesn't invoke the default input of the PS2 so while it can work fine for a lot of games light guns don't detect/work.

Vanne and Reaper like this.