1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

PlayStation Plus Classic Games

Discussion in 'Retro & Arcade' started by Trizae, May 23, 2022.

1. OP
    OP
    Trizae

Trizae Member

Same sh*t its a subscription service like xbox game pass. Live gold or PS plus essential tiers add to your account as long as you have a subscription nintendo and sony don't remove games after the contract is done the only constant with them is through their microsoft studios that will be there regardless

2. elvis

elvis OCAU's most famous and arrogant know-it-all

I really don't mind the "value-add to subscription service" option. Honestly, as long as the games stay online and migrate across generations, I'm cool with that.

We're at a point where companies see no value in selling old games because the bullshit needed to do so (lawyers, ratings boards, publishing deals, physical vs digital pricing per region, etc) all ends up being way too much on a game-by-game basis. This method has failed abysmally when we look at how many games we can "buy and own" today in 2022, as a percentage of all games made.

If what it takes for old games to have value to a publisher is for them to become a Netflix style service, so be it. As long as the games stay online in some way, I don't think I care any more.

Those of us who desperately want our physical access have our ways of achieving that. For the masses, legal emulation is way too difficult now. If these games can be played on a subscription service easily for peanuts, that's a better situation than what's happening today where it's all just lost to time for most people, and the rest of us are accused of being thieves and pirates of goods we can't legally buy.

Trizae and Vanne like this.
  3. Vanne

Vanne Member

Got a point there mate!. :D

4. OP
    OP
    Trizae

Trizae Member

Launched in the US yesterday NTSC versions so far for the most part (as expected) Who's looking forward to the PAL sh*tstorm when it launches in EU/Oceania? :Paranoid:

5. elvis

Trizae likes this.
  6. OP
    OP
    Trizae

Trizae Member

7. OP
    OP
    Trizae

Trizae Member

So to no surprise this launched this morning and their PAL 50hz.

full disclosure through work they provided me with a free upgrade for a few years.

not only is it 50 the emulation is pretty Terrible the games have this weird interpolation filter to match a 60hz refresh rate that you can’t turn off so they look and run even worse

if you value your own money I’d advise just the normal Extra tier and if you’re in the retro forums and want to play PSX I’d recommend Duckstation (dev is actually from Australia) PCSX2 for PlayStation 2 and RPCS3 (PS3).

included the game and pricing list below

Last edited: Jun 23, 2022
  8. power

power Member

hell of a lineup, shame about the PS1 stuff.

Trizae likes this.
  9. Drizz06

Drizz06 Member

No PS3 means no deal for me.
    PlayStation really need to get there
    Shit together and offer full service for Aus/NZ.

Trizae likes this.
  10. Audionut

Audionut Member

11. OP
    OP
    Trizae

Trizae Member

FINALLY! 90892A3E-10CC-4B1A-B506-09EC8BA68627.png

elvis likes this.
  12. elvis

I'm desperate to know what finally got Sony's attention. I feel like it was Digital Foundry perhaps. I think their very lengthy and pointed explanation of the problem, as well as the sheer volume of eyes they get on their videos, was the one that finally broke through the great firewall of Sony.

John Linneman has apologised for "ranting" about the problem. But I feel like it was very much this rant that won the battle.

Trizae likes this.
  13. OP
    OP
    Trizae

Trizae Member

It would be a nice thought if it was DF & John right?

Most likely the reality is they already know about these things internally anyway and as much as they would like to put it under the rug and an experiment they'll never do again soon a PlayStation Classic(mini) was released just over 3 years ago that was (and still is) a sh*t show.

We'll know for sure at the next DF Weekly in a few days, but it's always great for platforms of that reach to keep fighting the good fight and making these issues known own a grand scale that will benefit everyone in the end.

14. elvis

Knowing about it and getting the right people to care about it are two different things. Anyone in any business knows that (my entire job is trying to convince senior executives to give a shit about "the little things" that end up becoming big thigs if ignored).

I'm sure someone somewhere inside Sony understood the problem prior to Digital Foundry doing their thing. But I assume it was a case of Sony presuming enough people wouldn't care and would spend money regardless, only to see enough bad press that it was worth their time to spend money to change it.

That's the bit I thank Digital Foundry for. Blind Freddy could see the problem, but it takes enough media attention to make corporate pointy haired bosses to sit up and decide it's worth spending a dollar to fix it, because in their minds there's now real potential for it to affect the bottom line.

rg144, power and Trizae like this.
  15. rg144

rg144 Member

^^ Well said.

Not to go way off topic but I've seen a lot of this in other industries too. One positive side effect of social platforms (prob the only one hah!) has been the representation of the little guy.

For all their brilliance, they can be a stubborn company Sony.

16. OP
    OP
    Trizae

Trizae Member

elvis likes this.