1. OCAU Merchandise now available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion here.
    Dismiss Notice

PlayStation Vita (PSP2)

Discussion in 'Sony Consoles' started by Philll, Oct 25, 2010.

1. power

power Member

Absolutely a shame, it looks like such a great console but software makes or breaks them unfortunately.

2. poleposition

poleposition Member

Yeah that is very true. I will still keep mine for many years to come though haha. At least there is enough titles to keep busy for a few playthroughs haha

I tried GTA5 through remote play, it was really fun actually. Makes me wish the thumb sticks had a bit more weighty feel to them like the ps4 controller which would help with accuracy (i'm a pretty bad shot though haha)

Even though its just an illusion of video streaming, the overall effect is really enjoyable. Seeing such amazing graphics being displayed with no cords connected is still an amazing achievement for the handheld console industry.

My first handheld machine was an Atari Lynx and loved it to bits lol

3. djdude1010

djdude1010 Member

Video streaming with almost no lag from a machine that is rendering it, then pushing it through to the device with no buffer..

Your damn right its impressive.

4. poleposition

poleposition Member

Thats for sure, our wifi network at home isn't the best but we can still stream something from the net and still happily play on the vita.

5. Nightwish

Nightwish Member

Yeah I sometimes use remote play, I was last playing final fantasy type 0 over remote play. I personally think that game should have been on vita to begin with a it was originally a psp game

6. poleposition

poleposition Member

I'm playing Final Fantasy X for the first time on vita. Boy its quite an adventure. I get nervous I will never be able to finish the game (I've never finished a Final Fantasy game lol)

I also have Final Fantasy X-2 which I am most curious to try out.

Then I might get onto Final Fantasy IX on PS Store.

7. poleposition

poleposition Member

I think I am 20 hours into Final Fantasy X Remaster. What a spectacular game, I really feel for every one of the characters.

I bymistake watched Eternal calm before finishing FFX lol.
    I am definitely starting to level up quite a lot. The Sphere Grid is a spectacular system and I really like levelling up through that method. Whenever I see a H symbol I get very excited knowing I get 200hp more strength.

I would do anything for Final Fantasy IX remastered, but it would take a lot more effort than FFX did (since that was native PS2 and already had impressive graphics for the time.

I've been trying Ollie Ollie but I am absolutely miserable at it lol

Last edited: Nov 5, 2015
  8. Nightwish

Nightwish Member

Yes I would love to see FFXI remastered too! I played it on PS2 but I was having alot of "issues" (stupid (now ex) BF crying and chucking a hissy fit whenever I played games) and I couldn't put the time into it so I gave it away pretty quickly so I've been wanting to play again for ages but the PS2 just looks so yucky on the new TVs that I can't bring myself to play it :thumbdn:

I personally didn't get attached to the characters in FFX and I didn't like the sphere grid system much either. That said I think I far prefer it over XIII's levelling system

9. DJ Fusion

DJ Fusion Member

Things aren't really that bad, Vita still has over 300 games on the horizon:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=969122

Funnily enough though I'm using my PSP Go way more than my Vita lately as I'm playing Trails in the Sky and I jump at any excuse to rock the Go.

10. poleposition

poleposition Member

That would be very spectacular to see FFXI remastered for sure. I am surprised they haven't remastered FF12, I just got started again on PS2 and its a great game. I tried running my disc on a pc emulator but my system isn't quick enough to be smooth sailing. I think more work should be done to getting PS2 games out more on the VITA. There are more than enough PS2 titles to play on the VITA. If only it had the required encoding chip when it was first released.

I find the hardest part of owning a Vita is the lack of concentration of physical media, I definitely can understand its cheaper and much more popular for Digital Download but it just doesn't have the same value to me not being able to put something on the shelf.

Interesting you mention PSP (or more specifically PSP GO), I have been using my PSP more than ever lately. They are a fantastic little machine. I wanted to get a PSP GO but I still couldn't get used to the control position and felt like I had hulk hands (psp go felt too small). For some reason the PSP Slim Lite feels more comfortable in my hands (I feel my hands are more likely to stretch for the controls than hunch over them).

PS Plus this month is supposedly pretty average once again. This is the best time to pull out an AAA title for school Holidays and really get some new people to the PS VITA.

I still don't think the PS Vita is a sinking boat though, I reckon there is still a chance to revitalise the sony handheld market.

I'm also confused why Animelab on PS Store is not available for PS Vita or Playstation TV. I love it to bits, I am trialing the Paid Subscription.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2016
  11. DJ Fusion

DJ Fusion Member

I'm more looking forward to the new FFIX remake coming up, hope it makes its way from the PC to the Vita.

I was concerned the PSP Go wouldn't be very comfy, especially that nub placement but it's surprisingly comfy! Not as comfy as say, the 2DS but way more comfy than my n3DS, probably because it isn't so top-heavy.

OG Vita with the OLED is still my fave though, dat screen... hnnnng. I even got a Slim a few months ago, used it for a week and then shelved it. Really light and comfy but I got one with a really subpar yellowy screen.

Never tried Animelab, I've got Crunchyroll on my Vita though so I'm sorted. :p

12. poleposition

poleposition Member

Final Fantasy IX would be amazing as a remake for sure, I am considering buying the ps classics version to play but I'm not sure its worth the $20 (especially when the newer one is sure to be on its way). I am currently playing FFVII but I must admit I am struggling visually, its a beautiful game but I wish I could see more of the characters (some scenes are literally birds eye view from 100 metres away lol)

Oh wow I didn't know there was a Vita Anime Streaming app. I will download that instead haha. Wonder if its avail on PSP too. Thanks for heads up.

I would love a PSP GO, I have used one in the past and love that it has Bluetooth (how i wish the psp had bluetooth).

I originally had a OLED vita and then ended up getting the slim version. I must admit I don't mind the screen too much as I am used to cheap phones with lcd screens lol.

13. Nightwish

Nightwish Member

You'll never see FFXI remastered. That was a MMO. It looks crusty as hell but there is so much content and xpac that have gone into the game Square would never do it. I suspect they'd much rather if you were looking to get into a new and pretty FF MMO you play FFXIV instead which is gorgeous

14. Boneman

Boneman Member

Is this for real??? Please dont be a typo...:shock::shock::shock:

15. poleposition

poleposition Member

16. Nightwish

Nightwish Member

that thread you posted is nothing to do with a remake. Check the date Last edited by Mama Robotnik; 09-17-2013 at 12:21 AM

it's just a bunch of concept art images they've found around about the place for the original FF9 and posted online

the images you see are ff9 On PS2 vs emulated on PC or whatever with filtering options turned on.

I'd much rather see a FF8 remake first then they move onto 9

17. poleposition

poleposition Member

Opps you are right there sorry about that. Do you reckon FFIX would be far off from a remake?

Is it just me or does it seem like there are heaps of opportunities for gaming companies to make a lot of money from these requests or is it they might not have the resources (or maybe not sure if they will sell well enough).

It seems more logical to work on newer game projects than redo classics but technically 1/2 the work is done (story, main characters etc) they just basically need to undo and rebuild. If George Lucas can bring Star Wars digitally remastered then these games should get the same treatment haha

18. poleposition

poleposition Member

I installed Crunchyroll yesterday, can't believe I didn't know about it hahha

Thanks for the recommendations :)

I am quite new to Anime and I am not really sure where to start, any good recommendations? I do like scifi related stuff so maybe if there is a good scifi anime that would be cool. I like Final Fantasy too so a series similar to that would be awesome.

I'm surprised none of the anime apps don't have Initial D, I loved that show.

19. DJ Fusion

DJ Fusion Member

Hmm, some of the shows on Crunchyroll I'd recommend are:

Kill La Kill
    Hunter X Hunter
    Reborn
    Sword Art Online

My fave anime at the moment is One Punch Man but that's on Hulu, not Crunchyroll.

All true, I tell no lies. Here you go:

http://www.theverge.com/2015/12/31/10693850/final-fantasy-ix-pc-mobile-release-square-enix-2016

No word of a Vita release yet but a guy can hope.

VIII is my least-favourite FF of all time, Squall ruined it for me. IX is one of my all time faves so I'm okay with this! :)

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  20. Boneman

Boneman Member