Please Explain Why AMD XP3200+ 400FSB Socket A = $250+

Discussion in 'AMD x86 CPUs and chipsets' started by bazadilligaf, Jan 30, 2007.

1. bazadilligaf

bazadilligaf Member

Howdy all, ok I will start by saying I only understand the basics of PC components & how they work & are assembled to make a working PC.

What I do not understand is why, for the last 3 - 6 months I have watched AMD XP3200+ CPU's at Ebay Australia sell for an average of $200 with out a heatsink/fan or warranty & obviously 2nd hand as well! I'm not just talking about half a dozen cpu's here either, there has been at least 12 - 20+ in this short time. Another one just sold for $260 tonight which prompted me to post this thread.

We own two of them & they are in use by the wife & I. I also have been tempted to jump on the band wagon myself & sell them, but we have two spare mobos/AGP cards & an XP3000+ 333 FSB which I might add are selling for $150+ as well.

The reason I mention this is because I realized that if we did sell them, we also have to replace the mobo / ram & the AGP's to PCIE, so to me it's not worth it when we are very happy with what we have & they do all we need + we have the spares. So that's our excuse for staying with Socket A for the moment. Mind you in saying that, if we did not have the spares, I still would not pay that amount of money for one.

So why do people want these cpu's when they can have an AMD2 64 3800+ for $139 New with fan/heatsink & 3 years warranty.

Is there something special in the architecture of the XP3200+ that I'm not aware of?

What is making them more valuable then AMD's current offerings on the market now?

Is it just something that has caught on in Ebay, a FAD if you will?

What do you think?

2. power

power Member

anything is worth what someone will pay for it, and personally you'd have to be CRAZY to pay that much for socket A - atm when people upgrade at work we end up with old socket a stuff we just keep for testing etc..

3. terrastrife

terrastrife Member

supply and demand.

seen DDR prices recently? theyve been steadily going up (used DDR prices).

4. pongie

pongie Member

Look at it from the upgrader's point of view. They could spend $250 to get the highest CPU with their current setup or spend 2-3 times as much to upgrade all the other parts as well to the lastest technology (motherboard, ram, gpu etc)

Now which do you think they prefer?

5. OP
    OP
    bazadilligaf

bazadilligaf Member

Umm yeah, I thought I hinted at that, but I did not bother to spell it out due to making the thread any longer then it was all ready, lol.

I personally still would not do it, as you would not need that much more on top of $260 for a basic upgrade in my opinion.

6. TaroT

TaroT Member

it is usually people with businesses with large builds

hell of a lot cheap to spend 260 on a cpu when the cpu bellies up than replace the lot and redo the build for one machine.

i have sold a couple of high sized old chips for way more than they are worth simply because they have no choice...as said above supply and demand.

if they need it they will pay for it

wait till the high end agp card dry up or the high end amd a64/x2/opterons.

if i were you i would definetaly consider ditchign it grab a conroe basically as a straight swap and then update the rest...you will end up saving money in the long run.

7. Usopp

Usopp Member

well it really depends on what the comps gonna be used for.

8. Dr Kildare

Dr Kildare Medic!

People definitely go nuts on eBay for K7 3200+ CPUs.
    I'd cash in before the bubble bursts. :D

9. OP
    OP
    bazadilligaf

bazadilligaf Member

True & it's very tempting to sell it all.

This is true too, I actually never gave business's a thought, my bad, they could also claim it on Tax some how!

I want too but I don't, but, I am very keen to see the Brisbane Core from AMD, :D

Last edited: Feb 6, 2007
  10. skootyloops

skootyloops Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but the 65nm brisbane cores were released a while ago now.

And they actually perform slower then their 939 counterparts due to relaxed cache timings.

11. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Slightly slower than AM2. But probably on par with 939.

It's in cache heavy tasks like cpu bound games it is up to 5% slower than AM2.So I'd agree here they may be slower than 939 counterparts. similar (but (much much less severe) to the difference between 1meg and 512k cache.

Anyway the budget Brisbane's are looking like quite good overclockers. I can see the 3600+ being a good bargin buy when they start showing up here, (Us and europe seem to be the only people selling them still) with a lot of people getting at least 2.8-2.9gig out of them on stock volts, and up to 3-3.1 with a vcore increase. On air. (they are 1.9ghz stock)

They seem to be maturing nicely.

12. OP
    OP
    bazadilligaf

bazadilligaf Member

Well bugger me, I thought it was 2007 Release, well there you go, thanks.

I just did a search at retail stores, but they dont identify the Brisbane Core, & they are 65nm SOI are they not? In Socket AM2 65W 512KB + 512KB L2 Cache in 5000+ / 4800+ / 4400+ / 4000+ 3600+ ?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2007
  13. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

Yep, 65nm. And have different clockspeeds which helps differenciate:

3600+ - 1.9ghz

4000+ - 2.1ghz

4400+ - 2.3ghz

4800+ - 2.5Ghz

5000+ - 2.6ghz (only one that is the same as before.)

Also ordering part numers now have a DD suffix ADOmodelnumberDDBOX instead of CUBOX for older cores.

14. fugly81

fugly81 Member

I'm looking at getting a 3200+ sktA off ebay.

Reason: I have a spare socket-a Shuttle XPC with a 2400+.

I want to do a cheap upgrade and turn it into a vista media centre box. But of course I can't change the mobo, so the best I can do is a 3200+. I have no choice but to pay the premium price.

C'est la vie

15. BuzzPuppy

BuzzPuppy Member

Yep, and don't forget, it's for people who didn't know (or didn't want to) overclock their 2500+ bartons. Hell, I sold my XP-M IQYHA 2600+ for $80.00 on here since I know it'd go to a good home (and helped me fund my $120 3800+ X2 Toledo purchase :thumbup: )

Bearing in mind, I still can't let go of my 9800XT (download box) and 6800GT (gf's PC) AGP cards for that same reason.

16. Rampage101

Rampage101 Member

It was I that paid $80 for BuzzPuppy's mobile, and its been a great $80 spent, I couldn't see the point having to flog off all my gear and save some money to upgrade, becuase I'd have to go PCI-E, memory and new power supply, so its not just a mobo and chip swap, I'm trying to delay it.:Paranoid:

17. BuzzPuppy

BuzzPuppy Member

Hahaha nice to see it help you out Rampage. It's definitely a BIG upgrade and basically a new system. So, anything that suits the user's usage is fine, not upgrading because you feel like you have to. Hell, I still cobble together 1GHz P3's with 512MB RAM for users who think it's plenty fast for email, messenger and web browsing only. Amazing how those still work well when coupled with a 7200rpm EIDE HDD :thumbup:

Last edited: Feb 11, 2007
  18. TMM

TMM Member

Yup, many people still don't understand that you don't need any more then a 1ghz/512mb ram box with a decent speed hdd to get the best performance for web browsing and office work. Infact, 500mhz and 256mb ram would probably feel just as fast if you don't multitask too heavily.

19. mAJORD

mAJORD Member

My duron 850 boots windows faster than my x2 @ 3.1 and 2gig of ram. But takes 8mins to do a 1m superpi :lol:

Tis obviously a bit slower in windows, but browsing, nup barely tell the difference.

Fresh windows install does wonders, as does a zippy hdd

20. Deanodriver

Deanodriver Member

The thing is, they're the best of the line, so upgraders will want them.

Then again, even the lower Barton XPs get a decent amount of coin. I upgraded in November, and bought a CPU secondhand from here and a new mobo, and sold my old 2500+ on eBay and the mobo/HSF to a mate, I ended up spending $30 on the upgrade (although I did need to buy a PCIe card, so add more there), was good.

I reckon take advantage of it now, you can get boards that run AGP stuff still (Asrock 775Dual-VSTA is a prime example, it can run AGP, PCIe, DDR1 and DDR2, only about $80 too). If you can get a much faster, cooler running system for a very small amount of money, it's worth it, IMO :)