~~*plz hlp wat brnr 2 gt thx*~~

Discussion in 'Storage & Backup' started by Clippit, Sep 2, 2005.

1. Clippit

Clippit Member

I'm thinking of buying a DVD Burner (right now) and i realise i know nothing about what kind of products are out there, what the standards are, what to look out for and what to avoid. I'm just looking for some suggestions and opinions on whatever is currently available, so I can make an informed decision without actually have to think. :Pirate:
    Thanks.

2. XAJIM

XAJIM Member

Some decent spelling and grammar in your thread title would help to no end. Also try searching the what/where to buy forum and reading the threads in this forum that are relevant by searching for them.

As for which burner to get, I've got a couple of Pioneers here at work and they're doing a good job (from 106s-109s). No problems with dodgy media either.

3. OP
    OP
    Clippit

Clippit Member

Wow, I wondered whether anyone would actually bother to comment on the thread title... Anyway thanks for the info. I had a quick look around, but I really wanted some up to date information... anyway I couldn't see a similar thread on the first page. I'm very sorry if i've offended anyone's delicate nasal passages.

4. Gumby

Gumby Member

Just annoying to try to work out what your saying with all those lovely abbreviations.

As for the question, I've used several LG's and they have always served me well. I'm don't use them heavily however.

5. infiltraitor

infiltraitor Member

same and neither.
    ive used lite-on as well.

i think the most important thing is to test out a few different media types and use the one that performs the best with your burner.

6. GreasyBear

GreasyBear Member

Pie-oh-near's = good burners

7. maddcore

maddcore Member

pioneers, word

liteon also pimp out. I use mine 3-4 times a day most days, and it comes down more to the media.

8. MyDixiesNormous

MyDixiesNormous Member

1 re con d bzt 1ne 2 bi wld b A 4n20neer.

9. seb

seb Member

What he said.

Whatever that is.

10. maddcore

maddcore Member

4n20neer?

you mean P][()|\|33R

11. GriMo33

GriMo33 Member

1 h4v3 µ$3Ð £1730n p10n33r 4nÐ £9, (µrr3n7£¥ 0n 4 $0n¥ 47m, Ð03$ 7h3 90b 0|{4¥. 17$ µp 70 ¥0µ r34££¥.

p.$. 1 4|\/| £3373® 7|-|3 _|00

12. WaLLLY

WaLLLY Member

hahaha

my NEC 16x is 1337... NEC is good... well this one is.

NEC NC3500AG

13. terrabyte

terrabyte Member

I quite like my LG 4163B

14. MyDixiesNormous

MyDixiesNormous Member

ҜҖж

(yes) :)

15. infiltraitor

infiltraitor Member

im ashamed to admit that i know what more than half of that means. :upset:

16. dazzawul

dazzawul Member

My lg burner is awesome, it does everything well, ive only had one or 2 dvds fuck up on me, and one was because I didnt set dvd shrink up properly, the other I still have nfi what happened...

cheers lads.

17. ssnke

ssnke Member

At a time when Blueray is just around the corner..(of the world)

All DVDBURners Rock~!
    fudge it.

18. TerminalVeloCD

TerminalVeloCD Member

G'day all,

I am somewhat surprised and shocked that nobody has even made a mention of the BenQ DW1640 yet. The BenQ is a feature-rich burner that produces excellent write quality with both "Plus" and "Dash" camp media and has excellent manufacturer support (read: frequent firmware updates to support new media etc.). It has won the Editor's Choice Award at both CDRLabs and CDRInfo and the Digital Dolphin Friendly Award handed out by trusted reviewer Dolphinus_Rex from CDRLabs. These drives won't cost you an arm and a leg either - right now you can get them for $49.00 from NetPlus in Perth.

More reviews can be found here and here.

Plextor are using BenQ for the production of their PX-740A (rebadged DW1640). It just goes to show how much respect the new BenQ drives are getting.

As for Pioneer, I have found that their media support (e.g. supporting old and new media at their rated speed) and write quality at 16x leaves a lot to be desired.

All this is coming from a unbiased optical drive enthusiast. Please see my signature for more details! :)

Regards,
    TerminalVeloCD

Last edited: Sep 3, 2005
  19. maddcore

maddcore Member

:Paranoid: :Paranoid: :thumbup:

cool.....

20. Ashendragon

Ashendragon Member

I just got the Pioneer 110D and it does the job for me, it's relatively quiet (in relation to my fans etc.), the build quality seems pretty good, especially the tray opening\closing mechanism which slows down as it draws nearer to being fully opened or closed (this may be be standard nowadays). And it is also the shorter depth drive version (this also may be standard). It reads SL at 16x, DL at 12x and writes SL at 12x, DL at 8x (if the media supports obviously). I think the only difference between this and the 109 is the increased DL write speed from 6x to 8x.

I don't think you can go too wrong with this drive if you just want something for data and DVD backups...I heard mention somewhere it doesn't support certain media (as in manufacturers, not standards), not sure which ones as I haven't encountered any problems and haven't had any coasters which haven't been user error.

Having said that, if I wasn't in as much as a hurry as I was to purchase a burner I would have gone with Terminal's reccomendation, but for basic use I don't think it is that important. Or maybe it is, fucked if I know, but this unit is getting the job done satisfactorily for me.