Poe - ADSL moving to nbn

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by thedirkdiggler, May 16, 2018.

1. thedirkdiggler

thedirkdiggler Member

multiple questions.

I live in 2 story with cat 6 cable in every room. Added. No POE but multiple boxes.

So my phone line travels though out house, ( underfloor access), I am cutting out everything so my phone line comes up from under ground straight into a NBN modem.

I have 2 wifi points thoughout house ( got advice from here. :) Ubiquiti UniFi AP AC PRO x2) , i have 1 more to add too,but since I have no POE they are plugged into a power point.

With all the changes I am doing I want to POE everything.

So 1st question

Should I buy a NBN modem with 4 poe (Needed) or but a NBN modem then plug into a POE router.

Also 3 or those ports go to rooms, but 1 Goes to another ( non POE, then into 3 more ports).

2 nd Question.

If I POE the first 4 port ( near the modem or the modem ), can I plug a poe into another poe router to power the last 3 ports?

I cannot change or move cable .

Also can anyone recommend hardware ( link a pccasegear if can) I see that there is different watts and so forth
    POE /NBN modem. I am getting to node
    thanks

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  2. TehCamel

TehCamel Member

how many data ports do you have in total coming back to your central point?
    How many need PoE?

Is the expense of a PoE Switch justified for two devices?

Go with whatever NBN-suitable Modem/router unit you need. this depends on how your service is delivered (basically whether it's VDSL or ethernet handoff)
    you'll be lucky to find anything consumer-grade that has PoE on a device like that (i suspect, but I don't look at this equipment much)
    then plug a 6 or 8 port switch, whatever you need, with PoE into the modem/router. plug your APs into the PoE switch

Pugs likes this.
  3. Pugs

Pugs Member

You need to add up all your devices wattage to get your total PoE requirements

4. PULS8R

PULS8R Member

Just get a cheap TG799VAC off here or ebay or gumtree and use it in bridge mode for the FTTN modem. Get a router out of the Ubiquiti range if you like them, then just a PoE switch for the APs.

5. caspian

caspian Member

as TehCamel mentioned, you're not going to get a consumer grade device with both an NBN compatible modem and a PoE injector at this point in time. going the PoE router or switch route would be the simplest and cheapest solution.

6. OP
    OP
    thedirkdiggler

thedirkdiggler Member

thanks for the info.

7. koopz

koopz Member

thedirkdiggler, run the free and available Telstra App named "Telstra Home Dashboard"

btw - if you ran your own phone line with a piece of CAT6 instead of CAT5 or lesser spec, you are in for a world of hurt typically.

if you don't mind me asking... you have the money to buy a house - why did you settle in a place that does not have NBN fiber?

sell and gtf out dude... make it someone else's problem

8. ADV

ADV Member

The interference from such a system surely would make your network unreliable, unless it was industrial grade?

Why not run plumber pipe/conduit and a separate Ethernet and separate power cable in it, that way its safe (but expansive) from rodents and water?

Use wifi cameras that just need power?

Last edited: May 23, 2018