POE switch

Discussion in 'Networking, Telephony & Internet' started by duck_boy, Oct 7, 2018.

1. duck_boy

duck_boy Member

Hi guys is there such thing as Gigabit POE port? i.e. the port support 1Gbit and has Power.

thanks.

2. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

Yeah. 802.11at variant A puts power and data down the same wires, so works just fine with Gigabit. 802.11at variant B uses the unused pairs in 10/100, so I don't think it works with Gigabit.

Just check for compatibility with whatever you're planning to use, as some devices only support one of the variants.

EDIT: Just checked, my WiFi AP is running from Gigabit PoE, works just fine.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2018
  3. OP
    OP
    duck_boy

duck_boy Member

I want to extend my wifi range to ground floor. Which is the best range extender.?

4. DarkYendor

DarkYendor Member

"Range extenders" (without an Ethernet cable) are horrible, as they congest the already congested airwaves. But if you're talking about using a WiFi Access Point (cabled back to your switch/router), that's the proper way to do it.

I use a Cisco 3602 I picked up cheap, but that's overkill for most people. Something like a simple Ubiquiti of even a Netgear etc..., just as long as it is a dedicated access point (or a router with a dedicated "AP mode", where it disables it's router features).

5. OP
    OP
    duck_boy

duck_boy Member

This is the way I want to do it.

6. ir0nhide

ir0nhide Member