{POIWD_ D =U8uws dX*Iu=) UIJA CX+yu SAj Xu*S ]==SUXa

Discussion in 'PC Audio' started by Haillion, Apr 28, 2009.

1. Haillion

Haillion Member

P{OH{OI{O{OJH^%HT%RB WD{IWDWDJ CX)@E _}})DE}

Last edited: Mar 29, 2010
  2. Benno1988

Benno1988 Member

Allessandro MS-1 ?

3. Cornflake

Cornflake Member

Audio Technica ATH-AD900

4. VeeK

VeeK Member

Stating your budget would help :)

Any of the AT AD-xxx series will do the job.

5. VeeK

VeeK Member

If you like send Snufkin a PM (search his name). He can give you better advice than any of us (he owns headphones.com.au)

6. okydoke

okydoke Member

eh, this forum is hopeless with headphone threads sometimes any headphone thread the AD*** just gets thrown around like crazy.
    also will you be needing portability? open/closed (isolation)?

this is metal we are talking about, the grados prevail over audio technicas, at least they did for me; the only reason I went with ATH's in the end was because I listen to alot of ambient and experimental based music. The beyerdynamic you're talking about will need an amplifier to sound good most likely.

If you're looking for value, the MS1's are probably the best for metal. and as another forumer said, snufkin/marcus is definately the best person to talk to about this, just let him know what purpose and sound you need them for and he'll narrow down some options for you most likely

7. Pistachio

Pistachio Member

Okydoke is right about AD-XXX being recommended too readily. This is from someone who likes AT phones alot, mainly for funk and ambient/downtempo mind you. My initial reaction was MS-1 or MS-2 for metal, fast and exciting headphones. I would urge you to go for open if you can and where appropriate also as this would open up your options quite a bit.

Also, just because you have a headphone amp capable of driving high impedance headphones to a reasonable volume doesn't mean it will be a good option. An example is the AKG K701/2 which doesn't have a terribly high resistance so can be driven fairly easy by most amps, but despite this requires a high quality amp to actually sound good. Easy to drive, difficult to drive well. A crap amp that can output alot of power isn't necessarily what you want, although your amp may just be awesome, I don't know as you haven't specified.

Can't recommend too much though, I haven't heard much beyond the Alessandro's and AT's.

8. eukaryote:)

eukaryote:) Member

I have both Beyerdynamic DT150 and DT250. I would choose DT150 over DT250 for most applications like music and movies. You should also look at DT770 Pro.

9. okydoke

okydoke Member

I agree, i think the 250 would suit your needs (never heard it but have been eying it off for some time, should the need for closed headphones ever arise for me), but as Pistachio said, generally speaking open is better than closed - less reverberation/muddied sound, and more 'impact' and 'speed'. Obviously milage may vary depending on ears and setup.

10. darklegion

darklegion Member

Can you be more specific about what type of metal you like? This is a massive genre and what sounds good with one band/genre may not sound good with another.

11. Drubbing

Drubbing Member

Is your amp mains powered? Neither of the Beyer DTs mentioned will run near their capability off a portable amp.

If your source is good and your amp has grunt, then the DT880 / 770 will run well. But I know nothing about the soundcard market and what sits where in the 'good' section.

but...

Alessandro MS2 @ $460 would be terrific for metal, but some find them too bright and aggressive for long listening. These don't need an amp, but will like one.
    MS1 I still love for this too, but too low end for you? They sound more expensive than they are IMO. Tool sound terrific on these.

Ditto the DT250. I love mine for metal too. They're closed, but as closed go, they are very neutral and detailed, with good soundstage for a closed phone.

Open phones will be better for music, they have a more natural and airy presentation.

Source is important to get good returns on phones in this bracket, amping anything from a poor source will only reveal it's crapness.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2009
  12. OP
    OP
    Haillion

Haillion Member

Its the amp on the xfi forte, it is part of the soundcard. From what ive heard its meant to be pretty good but I cant compare it to one of the expensive external units as im sure a $250 can't be, or can it?

13. Drubbing

Drubbing Member

No souncard amp will run those Beyers properly. Not all expensive phones need a amp, but those will.

Pick something else or budget $400 ish for an amp.

14. Drubbing

Drubbing Member

They will run them. They will play music.

Will you get $600 worth of headphone sound? I seriously doubt, which makes buying them terrible VFM.

Ive heard them, I have a portable 5v amp/DAc and they sound nowhere near as good as when compared with a proper amp.

15. Liam.

Liam. Member

DT880 will need a dedicated amp. The sound card will drive it, but it just wont allow the dt880s to shine. I bought a little dot mk3 to go with mine when the dollar was good.

16. OP
    OP
    Haillion

Haillion Member

What about the 250 or 770 pro, they have the same paper specs but do you think they will sound good also?

17. Drubbing

Drubbing Member

It's not about paper specs. I assume you're talking the impedance of the card and the amp? That isn't the issue - the 880 & 770 need *power*.

I have the dT250 (80ohm. The 250ohm also need an amp or they will sound worse than the 80ohm does without one) and they don't need an amp, though they do like one. A good quality, well built phone. Good detail, really comfy on the head and ear. Neutral sound, so present without emphasis on one thing or the other. You listen to bassy music? you get bass. If it isn't there, you don't.

They're closed, so not as natural presentation as an open one like the 880, but very good for a closed model.