Pokemon Go For IOS/Android

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by c0ldm3th0d, Jul 6, 2016.

1. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

2. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

Yeah it's only the gps spoofing for gyms that really pisses me off. Can understand people spoofing to get the regional to fill the pokedex but there's no good reason to spoof for gyms. Aside from laziness and the "want it now" mentality.

3. prezident doom

prezident doom Member

That article sums it up really well.

Of course there are plenty of good reasons.

- You can cover orders of magnitude more distance in half the time as you could in a car.
    - You don't waste time/ fuel getting to locations.
    - The heat/ cold/ rain doesn't affect you.
    - Much easier to accumulate potions etc for battling

They don't even need to ban spoofers they just need to tweak the game so that spoofing players
    - Cant interact with gyms
    - Stops give nothing more than a few red balls

4. Ravennoir

Ravennoir Member

How would they tell who is spoofing, since they arent doing anything about it now

For those that are using GPS apps, does it give the appearance that you are walking, or do you set a location and you are "jumped" to there?

5. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Surely they can do some simple maths and say if two game locations are x metres apart and someone accesses them both in under y time, they must be spoofing.

6. mrjimmyc

mrjimmyc Member

With the app I use you set a starting location and when the game opens it puts you there. There is then a "joystick" that overlays the screen and allows you to move your reported gps location which then correlates to you walking. You can also increase the speed at which the joystick moves you to driving speed or flying speed.

I never jump from location to location because I don't want to get banned. I always pick a point off pogomap with a rare I want to collect and then spend half hour or so "walking" around that location to see what other normal mobs there are to collect and then quit out and wait an hour or so before reloading the game with my real location.

I don't participate in the gym side of the game. My only reason for playing really is for collecting and seeing how big I can grow the 'mons.

7. Fatmantan

Fatmantan Member

I've burned so much petrol in this game for rares. :o

8. prezident doom

prezident doom Member

That's the million dollar question. Ultimately it comes down to how much data the app is capable of accessing. Two theoretical options would be
    - If the user is connected to a single wifi network and is jumping between locations... spoofing
    - Assuming the range of a mobile tower is X kilometres. If the user is jumping around in excess of that distance while still connected to the first tower... spoofing

For all we know it might actually be easy to detect but maybe Niantic have determined that the revenue they generate is too good to lose.

9. metalrain

metalrain Member

First 10KM egg in a long, LONG time... Annnd it's a Sudowoodo :(

10. Hater

Hater Member

Ultimately, most people have backup accounts anyway. I don't, but banning one subset of accounts just breeds another set.

Ultimately... the game sucks. Without the ability to spoof, they would lose too much of their player base. The spoofers keep the chat and the game alive.

I'm starting to wonder why people like Dragonite so much? I can cut through one with a Magnaton that's more than 1000CP below...

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  11. prezident doom

prezident doom Member

You are right. They aren't difficult to defeat. They do however make for good general purpose attackers and the high CP gets they to the top of gyms.

12. negatron

negatron Member

alright, i'm bored enough with the game that i was going to quit, so am going to try spoofing and see if that extends its shelf life for me a little longer.

so far so good, spoofed for a few hours last night until the soft bans kick in.

will try again today.

13. Stevros

Stevros Member

You got a soft ban? I havent got one yet and ive been doing it for over a month. How long did it last/what happened?

I dont actually see the game anymore as a 'walk around and catch stuff' game. I see gps spoofing as the way it should be played now. Thats what the majority of players are doing, and Im not keen on competing against them as some sucker still on the ground. I havent seen an actual person in RL playing the game in months and yet gyms are constantly changing around my area.

I would love to see a statistic on Normal players vs GPS spoofing. I would wager that well over 50% of players are using GPS hacks.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2017
  14. Copie

Copie Member

Soft bans are easy enough to remove, just spin a pokestop 100 times and it will reset it.

15. Stevros

Stevros Member

If you move your character a fair distance away from his current location in one hit, you cant get any pokestops or catch any pokeys (they flee) for 10 - 15 mins. Is that what people are refering to as a soft ban?

16. Agg

Agg Lord of the Pings

Similar to how we handle piracy and other slightly dodgy topics on OCAU, I'm OK with people discussing spoofing and bans etc in general. However, we're not going to become a centre for specific discussion of how to spoof, which apps to use, or how to evade bans and so on. So keep it general, please.

17. The Brad

The Brad Member

Just please stop justifying why you are cheating. Spoofing is 100% the ruin of this game, so blaming other people to justify your choice is hypocritical.

This IS the go out and catch stuff game, if you are going to cheat you may as well play Pokemon on another platform.

I hope all you cheating wankers get banned for good, although it seems a forlorn hope.

18. Stevros

Stevros Member

Man, ive never seen someone so upset about something so trivial.

I agree with you that spoofers have ruined the game. The game completely sucked for me when I wasnt spoofing, because everyone in my area was spoofing and i just couldnt keep up. Now that Ive joined them, the game doesnt suck anymore and its back to an even playing field.

If myself and every other person doing it gets banned then thats fair enough too. I am aware that im not playing within the rules but either is the rest of the player base.

19. sir_bazz

sir_bazz Team Papparazi

How does gps spoofing allow you to keep up?

Comparing the ability to hold gyms, there's SFA difference as non-spoofers sit in the same gyms alongside the spoofers.

The bit that sucks is that spoofers from other teams can take down your gyms without the effort of going outside which increases gym turnover.

20. negatron

negatron Member

a softban is as people have said, where you can't spin stops and any mon you try to catch will flee.

having said that spoofing hasn't reinvigorated my love of the game and i'll probably quit soon.