1. If you're receiving a message that you are banned from the Current Events or Politics forums, it's not you specifically: those forums have been hidden for all users. For more info, see here.
    Dismiss Notice

[PROJECT] Poker Table Build - Complete

Discussion in 'Other Toys/Hobbies' started by Kitler, Feb 28, 2013.

1. Kitler

Kitler Member

A few weeks ago the mates and myself had a poker game on the kitchen table with a heap of spare change. It was a blast but a bit of a pain due to the small table. What a great excuse to start a new project. :thumbup:

I used the following site as a starting point.
    http://pokerda.com/

There's a lot of sites that require three sheets of wood but after looking at the photos and comparing them they didn't look as nice and sleek. The reason was the playing surface was raised a good portion. With the above it's nice and flat. Makes it easier to move your cards and chips to the playing surface.
    The best part of this build is the pieces you cut end up joining each other again. It's very forgiving. :thumbup:

With this build I'm going to use my kitchen table as the base base. I'll make some legs for it at a later stage.

First thing to do was naturally buy the wood. I was limited to ply-wood but decided it would be best for my first attempt. Mitre 10 was not only cheaper than Bunnings their quality was much better. Plus they actually helped me which made the sale. :)
    I opted for the 2400x1200x19mm sheets.

[​IMG]

I originally attempted to use a pencil with a piece of string to measure the cuts but found it was unreliable. Good chance it was my fault but I couldn't get it to give me a perfect mark.
    I ended up making my own measuring stick just for this project. The pience of alluminium cost about $5 and made things that much easier and accurate.
    These cuts would end up being the bottom of the table as well as the raised rail.

[​IMG]

I used the better sheet of wood for these cuts. These will be the playing surface and the race track which will end up being stained.

[​IMG]

As you can see the difference with the lines. The fainter line in the middle was made using the string and pencil technique. I used masking tape to avoid the wood splintering. I don't think it really made a difference but always better safe than sorry.

[​IMG]

I haven't had much experience with a jigsaw so a lot of this was new to me. While I was extremely happy with the standard cuts I did attempt the plunge cut.
    The first one on the bottom was perfect but the next two on the top were horrendous. Because of these cuts I took a little break. :p

[​IMG]

Yeah I wasn't impressed especially because it was on the visible playing surfaces. I'm sure I can get it to work.

[​IMG]

However all the cuts are done and I'm happy with the outcome. Next part is to sand and attach the pieces.

[​IMG]

So it was time to glue and screw the pieces together. These will be the rail and the bottom rail. I had to plane the edges to get an even finish.
    You can keep your work benches. I have milk crates!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The bottom of the table and the race track. I probably used too many screws...
    I drilled two holes underneath the table in case I wanted to get the playing surface out easily for anything like cleaning or repairs.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Laying the pieces together you get a rough idea on how it will look. Thankfully it all fits nicely.

[​IMG]

I did attempt to fix the bad jigsaw cuts with fine saw dust and wood glue. For what it was I think it did the trick.

[​IMG]

The playing surface is called speed felt/cloth. It cost about $70 for a 250cm x 150cm piece. Well worth it I think, not only does it already have a thin foam underlay the cards float across it and it's extremely water proof. Perfect for a night of poker with a few drinks.
    Plus the pattern is fitting.

[​IMG]

Since the garage was full of saw dust I decided to do this inside. The island in the kitchen was perfect.

[​IMG]

Time to measure and trim the excess. The work phone is finally good for something! :lol:
    I wish I had cut off more material because the excess was just short of making a second playing surface. Maybe a black jack table is in the future?

[​IMG]

I found this to be a challenge. It took me three attempts to get it right. The trick I discovered was to start at the very top and bottom. Make it tight then work from the middle sides out. Keeping it tight and checking it every few staples by turning the whole surface over.

[​IMG]

You can never have too many staples.

[​IMG]

I then trimmed off the excess and the folded bits of material so the playing surface will fit flush with the rest of the table. I added a lot more staples just to be sure it wouldn't lose any hold.

[​IMG]

All finished. It turned out perfectly I'm happy to say.

[​IMG]

All the pieces together.

[​IMG]

Once again this is a rough idea of how it will look with the playing surface installed in the middle. It still doesn't fit perfectly as you might be able to tell from the top right part. I'll give the inner race track a sand tomorrow.
    I don't think it's easy to see but the playing surface is slightly higher than the race track. Exactly what I was hoping for. :thumbup:

[​IMG]

That's all I have for now. Since I measure sixty times and cut twice it's taken me a few days to get to this point.
    The next step is to buy foam and vinyl and cover the rail. I'll just get this from Clark Rubber and Spotlight. I'll then varnish the race track a few times and it should be good to go. :thumbup:
    As I make progress I'll update this thread. Cheers!

EDIT - 11/03/2013
    I finally got around to completing more of the table. :thumbup:

I eventually got the playing surface to fit. Simply a matter of sanding, sanding and sanding.

[​IMG]

I made some stencils and took them to Clark Rubber to get the foam measured and cut. Originally I was going to purchase one large sheet but it would have cost well over $100. This option set me back $30.

[​IMG]

After a quick shop at Spotlight I got a cheap drop sheet (random material) and purchased my vinyl. I opted for burgundy which I thought would go well with the black playing surface and the dark stained wood.
    Unfortunately I don't have a sewing machine and had to use a full 3 meter sheet. However this did give the rail a smooth and flush finish.

I was originally going to glue the the foam to edges of the rail and trim it but this would have taken a long time. I did one edge and decided against it.

[​IMG]

Just like the playing surface I started at the ends and worked around. The first of many staples.

[​IMG]

Stretch, hold and staple.

[​IMG]

Rinse and repeat. You can see a large pile of scrap staples at the top.

[​IMG]

I stretched the vinyl out and smoothed out most of the bumps by removing and replacing a lot of the staples. Trimmed and ready to start the inside.

[​IMG]

At each end I cut a bunch of triangles and cut out the center piece of material.

[​IMG]

I then stretched the triangles onto the rail. This was both the hardest and the scariest part. Once I stapled the first triangle I had to keep stapling the next one and the next one to avoid the vinyl tearing.
    Thankfully enough staples and speed stopped this from happening.

[​IMG]

This was physically hard on the fingers because I had to constantly stretch the vinyl and re-stretch before stapling. Well worth the effort.

[​IMG]

Both the ends and sides finished.

[​IMG]

Trimmed. I added extra lines of staples on each side just to be safe. :thumbup:

[​IMG]

I was extremely happy with the end result of this one. There are a few small extra bulges here and there but nothing that is too noticeable. Mainly on the underside of the rail.
    You can see some of these on the bottom right side.

[​IMG]

However the top turned out well and the inner parts didn't show any of the folds or bulges. Nice and padded as well.

[​IMG]

The rail fit perfectly onto the race track surface with no adjustments required. I'm not usually that lucky. :Paranoid:

[​IMG]

Once again just an idea of how it will look.

[​IMG]

The first coat of stain, only two more coats to go. I loved the look of the wood pattern showing through. It will be interesting to see how much darker the stain will get. I'll be happy with any result.

[​IMG]

So I'm nearing the end to this project, two more coats of stain. I also need to screw the playing surface and the rail onto the main part of the table and I'm done. :thumbup:
    Once again later down the track I'll make some table legs for it.

EDIT - 19/03/2013
    Well I'm finally finished with the table and had a small but successful game with three mates on Saturday. Extremely happy. :thumbup:

Like I said above I was going to use my kitchen table as the base until I can be bothered making some legs for it.
    To protect the table I put some door mats on top of it. Simple and effective.

[​IMG]

Just like a small jigsaw puzzle all the parts fit together perfectly.

[​IMG]

Excuse the photos the lighting was terrible in the garage.

[​IMG]

Annoyingly I scratched the race track when putting the playing surface on. Ah well! It's there to be enjoyed.

[​IMG]

With a small eBay purchase it really finished the table off. Nothing like using real chips. :leet:

[​IMG]

Once again just showing the extra height of the playing surface.

[​IMG]

Leftovers from a night of playing. :p:thumbup:

[​IMG]

So there we have it, finally finished it. :thumbup:
    To those that were waiting for the finished result thank you for your patience and kind words. To anyone wanting to know costs I'll post them below.

This list is excluding tools, sandpaper and wood glue.

Wood - $133.00
    Speed felt - $69.00
    Vinyl - $56.97
    Foam - $29.93
    Varnish/stain - $18.50
    Staples x2 - $11.50 (went through 2000+!)
    Selleys Adhesive Spray 500ml - $10.57
    MDF cut out for foam templates - $5.61
    Alum. Bar (for measuring the table) - $5

Total - $340.08

Last edited: Mar 19, 2013
  2. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Great effort so far, looking good.

I was hoping you had finished it already :p

Looking forward to the end result, I think it will come out very well.

3. death

death Member

looks good

if its not too late factor in drink cup holders

Also will it be easy for the dealer to reach around the table and grab all the chips and cards?

4. OP
    OP
    Kitler

Kitler Member

Hopefully it won't be too long.

I thought about drink holders but decided against them. Not only were they ridiculously expensive but it really takes the look of the table away.

If the dealer is in the middle it won't be a problem but we take turns dealing. I'm sure everyone will help move the cards.

5. Whoreof Babylon

Whoreof Babylon Member

You should make a 3 lane AFX track around the outside :) could be distracting to the players tho.

6. OP
    OP
    Kitler

Kitler Member

That could work as a time limit to speed the game up. :p

Anyway I've updated the main thread and nearly finished. :thumbup:

7. TheWedgie

TheWedgie Insert Custom Title Here

Wow, that's amazing!

8. Velicoma

Velicoma Member

This is fantastic mate. I've just been looking at making my own lately as well.

When you do finish it off, can you let me know how the speedfelt goes without having another layer of foam under it? I notice most builds have a separate foam layer under the felt.

9. stuartm

stuartm Member

awesome job, looking forward to seeing the finished product, mind letting us know the total costings when finished? may have to give it a go.

S

10. OP
    OP
    Kitler

Kitler Member

Thanks all. :thumbup:

At the moment I'm really struggling with the stain/varnish. I can't seem to get an even coat and there's obvious bumps and rough patches. I've sanded it right back once already and after another unsuccessful attempt at painting I've sanded it down again. I don't know what I'm doing wrong but one of the problems is, by the time I've completed the surface and join the stain/varnish it just creates an obvious mark.

I've just finished another coat and since I have a poker game on tomorrow with the crew, I'm going to leave it for now and call it finished. I wish I used a roller instead of a brush...
    I ran out of my original stain/varnish so I used a lighter one I had laying around for the final coat hoping it would just even the surface out.

We'll see how it looks tomorrow.

The amount of foam that comes with the speed felt is absolutely perfect. It's enough to soften it and doesn't make it thicker. It depends on what you want at the end, I wanted a flush racetrack with the playing surface.

Absolutely, once it's all done and dusted I'll put up the shopping list. :thumbup:

11. Alchemist

Alchemist Member

This is amazing, well done

I love the amount of staples :thumbup: can never have too many

12. Whoreof Babylon

Whoreof Babylon Member

13. DTG

DTG Member

Foam brushes are my weapon of choice.

14. OP
    OP
    Kitler

Kitler Member

More lessons learnt. ;)

Small update, the table is complete. :thumbup:

15. supernom

supernom Member

Wow it looks awesome man. I love the colours you have chosen.

16. stuartm

stuartm Member

looks awesome and very practical, thanks for the costings.

S

17. Whoreof Babylon

Whoreof Babylon Member

End product will be great, shame my 11 square house cant fit fun things like these.

18. OP
    OP
    Kitler

Kitler Member

Yeah I'm glad I didn't go for the boring black vinyl.

Not a problem. :thumbup:

That's why it's in the garage. :p

19. ck_psy

ck_psy Member

i am impressed!!

20. Rainey

Rainey Member

Yep, very neat little project. Well done Kitler!