Polpette al Sugo

Discussion in 'Geek Recipes' started by Shaetano, Jun 14, 2009.

1. Shaetano

Shaetano Member

Hey All,

Here is my entry for Ironchef :Pirate:, Polpette aka Italian Meatball al sugo. We had to help my brother move the other day so we ended up stealing all his pork mince and making polpette, usually we use a half pork, half beef combo but didn't have any beef on hand so its pure pork.

You can have these pretty much anyway you want, by themselves, or with pasta, potato mash, fluffy rice (as pictured, damn family loves rice, I wanted mash :D).

Ingredients

We make these by look and feel really so I had to look up some of the quantities for ingredients, but you should basically come out with a mixture that forms into a ball thats soft and moist but holds it shape enough to be manhandled. Ours are also breadier then most other recipes found on the web

• Polpette
      1. 500g of mince (half pork, half beef)
      2. 2-3 small eggs (lightly beaten)
      3. 2 cloves of garlic (finely chopped)
      4. 125g of semi-stale Italian bread (i.e pane de casa, no crust) shredded.
      5. 1/4 cup of chopped parsley
      6. 50g of grated parmiggiano or pecorino (or combo of both if you have it)
      7. 250mL of milk
      8. Salt & Pepper to taste

• Sauce / Sugo
      1. 1 Ltr of tomato (pureed)
      2. 2 large chopped onion (chunky)
      3. 1 glove of garlic (finely chopped)
      4. 1 bay leaf
      5. 1-2 sprigs of thyme
      6. Extra virgin olive oil
      7. Half a glass of white wine
      8. Salt

Method

I forgot to take initial mixing photos but this site (http://ricette.giallozafferano.it/Polpette-al-sugo.html) has some pretty photos of the process.

Most recipes call for day old Italian bread, but we prefer it a little more stale. Trim the crust off (and discard) and cut the white into squares then shred it in a food processor until you get a bread crumb consistency (on the coarser side) and put it into a mixing bowl. Add the rest of the ingredients and half the milk and combine with hands. If the mixture is still a little dry or falls apart easily then add more of the milk and if required another egg, as above you want them soft but firm enough to roll into a ball.

We usually make the mixture in the morning (to have for dinner) or the day before (to have for lunch the next day) and let it sit in the fridge (covered) to let everything rest & combine properly.

[​IMG]

Take mixture out of the fridge and make a small patty and give it a quick fry to see if you need to add some more salt or pepper. If you are making these solely for pasta then roll them into smaller balls or else just average size ones like pictured.

[​IMG]

The next step is to make the sauce & to brown the polpette, once the sauce is half cooked you add the browned polpette into the sauce to cook them all the way through and absorb the tomato goodness.

You can use whatever oil you want, but we use extra light virgin olive oil (same fat but just has a higher smoking point and lighter flavour).

[​IMG]

Place the polpette in and brown all the sides then take them out, we use two spoons to flip them and take them out (draining what oil you can) as tongs will crush them!

[​IMG]

The sauce is a very simple tomato sauce with lots of onion. Add a few tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil to a deepish pan (remember your polpette will need to be added later) and cook the onion with a pinch or two of salt then when translucent add the garlic. After about 10-15 seconds add the wine and cook until the alcohol smell disappears then add the tomato, bay leaf & thyme. Bring to the boil mixing every couple of minutes then put a lid on and turn the temp down to med and cook for 20 minutes. (can't believe how gritty the stovetop looks :lol:)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The sauce was made in conjunction with the frying so once the polpette were done we added them to the sauce and cooked it (with the lid on) until the sauce had thickened and reduced. The polpette were gently turned and moved around every 6-7minutes to make sure the ones in the middle (directly on the hotplate didn't cook / burn).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Finished product on a bed of fluffy rice (mash is the bomb though!!)

[​IMG]

Enjoy!

2. Amfibius

Amfibius Member

Nice iron chef entry, except that (1) entries open on the 20th of June, and (b) this month's theme is mushrooms. Mincemeat was last month's theme :)

Still, your recipe looks pretty good!! Deep fried meatballs in tomato sauce, can't go wrong there.

Iron Chef thread: http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=784876

3. OP
    OP
    Shaetano

Shaetano Member

Hah yer I meant the last one ;)

4. JPdd

JPdd Member

nice Shaetano!

5. g00nster

g00nster Member

Looks like mum's "rissoles in tomato sauce"