Porsche GT3 Cup Rim Replica and Sim Racing motion build - build log

Discussion in 'Modding Worklogs' started by djdude1010, Sep 10, 2019.

1. djdude1010

djdude1010 Member

So I have decided to do a build log for my all my Sim Rig Stuff that I am doing in the near future! I will be re-building it all and going for a full motion rig!

But I will be building a few wheels and stuff as well so decided to post it all here!

After dreaming about it for 10 years or so I built my current SimRig about a year and a bit ago.
    It's a mix of MDF and 80/20 Aluminium

[​IMG]

Added 5 Buttkickers for Simvibe, which is great btw. I plan on adding more to the seat later

I have a Simucube on order that should arrive within the month. So this is why I have decided to re-do it all. and prep for the future SFX build (sometime in the next 12 months, depending on order of other stuff)

So i will be rebuilding it out of more 80/20 for the base, adding some bits and pieces, and also making my Porsche GT3 Center Dash/Button box. additionally I will be getting triple screens again, as I VR is great but I miss triples for some stuff.

But as I am in need of a Rim for when this wheel is arriving I am concentrating on that.

I very much want to build as much of this as I can, that is 50% of the fun for myself. I love to build from scratch.

I also have a set of Tilton 600's I plan on getting back to completing as well.. Oh so much to do, so little time and money! :p

Wheel Shopping list

Porsche GT3 Cup Rim
    http://www.carnewal.com/products/993/p91010/Cup-Steering-Wheel-991-GT3-Cup

Buttons
    https://au.rs-online.com/web/p/push-button-switches/0224984/

D-PAD
    http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=98_87&products_id=210

Electronics - Leo MicroBBI
    http://www.leobodnar.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=94&products_id=316

Shifters and Quick Release
    www.hrsims.com.au

Carbon FIber and Aluminium CNCing
    TBA, Maybe HRS (Brett is a busy man so I don't want to bug him too much ;))

Screws/nuts
    http://www.ebaystores.com.au/fastenerkitsonline

I had the wheel arrive a few weeks ago now, and started to design a backplate right away. I am still teaching my self Fusion360 so my methods are not great yet.

[​IMG]

My first hack at it didn't go too badly from the reference pictures I could find at the time. I needed to adjust the hole sizes slightly as I couldn't get the button in the mounts (waiting for the final ones to arrive though)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Designed a holder for the MicroBBI I am planning to get this machines out of Aluminium.. First deign was not really what I wanted. Especially once I put it up against the Quick Release 70mm part. It looked cheap and wrong.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shifters and Electronics arrived!
    I like the shifters ALOT HRS stuff is seriously good quality!
    How ever I think I might change the buttons I really want it to match as close as possible. These are very nice but I will use them on a different project

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I decided to re-do the holder design. As it didn't fit with the shifters or look good with the QR, I am designing an insert for the holder as well. this is just me over engineering it because I can.

[​IMG]

Printing the new draft and checking it against the QR, I have edited the latest verion to have a Chamfer'd edge like the QR side.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Checking that it now fits in between the shafters... All looks good!

[​IMG]

Checking that the insert and electronics fit. I am redesigning this to accommodate the need for a shared ground terminal. I am working that out currently. I have some ideas, just need to test them :)

[​IMG]

So I am upto order a few bits and pieces like bolts etc. and then getting my final backplate and holder parts cut.

I have decided to re-do the backplate as I found some better reference pictures, and I am better at this now, so it should be better result overall.
    [​IMG]

Okay that's it for now, I will keep you all updated as I start to build the rest!

2. OP
    OP
    djdude1010

djdude1010 Member

saving post for later

3. Deano_20802

Deano_20802 Member

Absolutely amazing!!! After long hanging up the bike racing gloves and now having to hang up all forms of racing (several worsening bulging discs post broken neck), this is the dream to setup one day!

4. OP
    OP
    djdude1010

djdude1010 Member

Oh man..sad to hear about the back issues :(

Sim racing is good fun my friend.

Thanks for the kind words.

Deano_20802 likes this.
  5. OCMunkee

OCMunkee Member

Damn man, this is going to be awesome. Following this thread for sure!