1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Port Barrel

Discussion in 'Geek Grog & Homebrew' started by Ma Baker, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Hungry Hawk

Hungry Hawk Member

Actually the minister is less of an issue I think and as a bonus she already enjoys port! It's more about where I will be able to keep it. Wife is a bit nervous about it being located over carpeted areas. I can understand that concern.

2. Hungry Hawk

Hungry Hawk Member

Yeah, from the St Anne's website I think it suggests it's only about 5cm longer and 8cm higher but unfortunately for the buffet it was going to live on that is the difference between fitting or not. Might need to add a room to the house with a dedicated bar! :)

3. eilsel

eilsel Member

This is why it pays to go for a good quality barrel that doesn't leak

4. Hungry Hawk

Hungry Hawk Member

Yeah agree, but the concern is more than leakage. It's also about spills when filling etc.

5. OP
    OP
    Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

A 10 litre barrel wouldn't be that heavy that you couldn't lift it in to the kitchen to re-fill if it's spills you're concerned about.

6. Hungry Hawk

Hungry Hawk Member

Yeah thanks Ma. I wasn't sure of what the weight would be when it's full and if that might be an option.

7. OP
    OP
    Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Maybe you could ask St Anne's that question as they would know the weight for shipping as they ship them full.

8. Hungry Hawk

Hungry Hawk Member

Yeah that might be a good option. They may know. Don't think they actually ship them full though. They drain them and send the port separately in containers is my understanding.

9. OP
    OP
    Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Well whatever they say the weight of the barrel is the port should be 1kg per litre I believe.

10. Hungry Hawk

Hungry Hawk Member

Awesome. Thanks.

11. Pants404

Pants404 Member

I'm a bit late jumping back here. Have you made your purchase yet Hungry Hawk?
    As others have said a 5l is definitely going to age the contents quicker, which means it will get over-oaked in a matter of weeks. Great for spirits that are going to be bottled, but not so great for port that will stay in the barrel.

I also wanted to add that seppeltsfield has recently doubled the price of their bull fortified a and removed some of their products such as the younger tokay. I was annoyed by this change so I looked for other places in the barossa a few months before Christmas.

Kies winery is now my new go-to for their tawny and Ruby. The product is great and the prices are still good.
    I just finished lightly reconditioning an old 20l that's going to be filled with Ruby when I get a chance to return there.

Hungry Hawk and Ma Baker like this.
  12. Hungry Hawk

Hungry Hawk Member

Hi Pants404,
    Thanks for your response. It actually gave me a little kick in the pants (pardon the pun) for not getting back on here and sharing my purchase. I went ahead and purchased the 10L ST Anne's barrel around the end of Oct last year and had it complimentary filled with 10L of the cellar reserve tawny. I actually made a day of it and purchased directly from their Cellar door @ Myrniong so that I could taste their various fortified's and hand pick my barrel. Photo attached. I certainly haven't had any regrets with the purchase. The workmanship and finish on the barrel and base I'm happy with. It hasn't shown any leaks to this point and due to the preconditioning there hasn't been negative levels of oakiness. It was great advice about going for the larger barrel. Despite my difficulties in finding a suitable place in the house for the 10L, I think I would have regretted purchasing the 5L. My wife has been a fan too and it's often her that suggests that it might be nice to tip into a port. Think we drink more port than red wine these days, which certainly wasn't the case going back a couple of years.

I've recently purchased the bulk Seppeltsfield to top up my barrel and agree that it doesn't work out super cheap these days. Thanks for the advice re Kies. I'll check this out for future purchases. Certainly appreciate the advice I received from all the other posters also. I'm delighted with the result.
    St Anne's 10L Port Barrel.jpg

13. andy01

andy01 Member

Wow, I'd say. When I looked at Seppeltsfield last year it was either $170 or $180 for 20L of bulk tawny - now it is $130 for 10L ($260 for 20L) - that is some inflation :shock:

How do you find the Kies tawny in comparison to the Seppeltsfield (or St Annes if you have tried it) ? It is a bit cheaper (at $46 x 4 = $184 for 20L) but it has also gone up a fair bit as I think it was around $140-150 last year for 20L. The St Annes Classic is still the same $50/5L it was in 2020 when I bought some, so it hasn't gone up.

Has anyone tried the Liebich Wines bulk tawny ? They seem to have 2 options - Ron's blend $53/5L or Ben's blend $63/5L ?

I got 20L of St Annes Classic tawny and 20L of St Annes Cellar Reserve back in Oct'20 when I bought my 20L barrel from them. Initially the tawny (both but the Classic was more pronounced) had a slight "medicinal" taste to it. This has settled very nicely over the almost 18 months and I have now just got a full barrel mellowing (out of the original 40L) and I am drinking some port that I bottled from the barrel in December and love it. I would prefer to try another port to add going forward though, so I was looking at Seppeltsfield in about 6 months time (when I will be ready for another drain-off of the barrel) but the price going up so much may make me rethink that (unless it deemed to be much better than the others).

I recently got some bottled port for a birthday and tasted the following last week;

Little Giant Tawny (375ml bottle)
    Penfold's Father 10yo
    Galway Pipe 12 yo
    My barrel (which is a blend of the St Annes Classic (maybe 30-40%) and St Annes Cellar Reserve the rest), most of been in the barrel for about 8-10 months with some newer additions.

I rated the Galway Pipe 1st, followed by (probably) the Penfold's Father (by a fairly small margin), then my barrel, then the Little Giant. The GP was the most "balanced" and well rounded, the Father was the softest/smoothest, my barrel still had a bit of a bite, and the LG had a somewhat fruity taste that I was less happy with. I was pretty happy that my barrel compared so favourably against the GP and Father. I have no doubt that it will keep getting better and better as the barrel ages and I perhaps get a different tawny to continue the journey with.

Last edited: Mar 15, 2022
  14. andy01

andy01 Member

Great that you went with a 10L - it looks a little different to my St Annes 20L (silver vs black hoops) and the stand is different. I have been pretty happy with my St Annes barrel - some weeping (that seems to have stopped - unless it is the humdity in Brisbane - especially after the recent drop of rain :Paranoid: ) but never enough to actually drip on to the bar counter that it sits on. It has aged very well in almost 18 months and is producing some very drinkable port. I felt that the (very roughly made and finished) stand did not match the very well finished barrel but since your stand looks different, maybe they changed that (I complained to them - after I stripped the stand down and refinished it completely).

How are you finding the Seppeltsfield tawny compared to the St Annes Cellar Reserve, or is it to early to tell yet. As above, I wasn't a huge fan of the "raw" St Annes but it has matured well in the barrel.

Hungry Hawk likes this.
  15. Hungry Hawk

Hungry Hawk Member

Hi Andy01,
    So far (5 months in) I haven't seen any seeping or leaking, so I'm hoping this continues.
    I was going to say it's a bit too early to give a comparison of the St Anne's V the Seppeltsfield tawny. The Seppeltsfield hasn't even made it into the barrel yet! But your question sparked me into action to do a side by side comparison. I've kept some of the original St Anne's Reserve Tawny separate so I can do progressive taste comparisons. I've added some other bottled port into the barrel progressively so it's predominantly the St Anne's with some other tawnies mixed in.

I lined up the Seppeltsfield, St Anne's and my barrel blend. It may be that I don't have a very well developed or discerning pallet but surprisingly I didn't notice a large difference in quality between all three of them. They were all very solid but not spectacular. If anything I'd say that the fruit was more prominent in the Seppeltsfield, the St Anne's was balanced between fruit and oak and my blend had the greater oak influence. It's a personal taste thing, but I usually like the fruit driven tawnies, so I'm actually looking forward to the oak influence moderating in my barrel and the Seppeltsfield might be better suited to my taste, but as I said we're talking about small differences and personal tastes. Hope that is some help.

andy01 likes this.
  16. Pants404

Pants404 Member

Glad you went with the 10l. It looks great!

I personally am not a fan of the blends from Liebich, but I .planning to stop by there soon to maybe change my mind and grab a few litres for blending.

The tawny from Kies is a nice clean example and I think it's comparable to seppeltsfield. I didn't realise they had bumped their prices up as well though.
    Their ruby is really good to blending too. It had a bit of a red wine flavour to it so a small amount makes a nice difference.
    When I was only filling with seppeltsfield my barrels were only okay, but once I added a bit of the Kies tawny and Ruby in the last fill it really brought out a lot of great flavours and it's now more balanced.

I entered one of mine into liebichs home barreled port competition last year and it got a bronze medal, so I'm fairly content with what I have now.

andy01 likes this.
  17. andy01

andy01 Member

Thanks for the feedback. It sounds like the differences are not substantial.

18. andy01

andy01 Member

That is great feedback. Let us know if you get to try the Liebich's bulk tawny please. It sounds like you live in the area which makes things a bit easier - Brisbane is a little far for a quick outing :).

Good work on the bronze :thumbup:

19. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

So after 9 years, my barrel is getting to a good stage. I've tried it side-by-side with a couple of bought bottles, and I've preferred mine over both of them.

That's the first time I've been able to say that since the start.

whatdoesthisdo and Ma Baker like this.
  20. andy01

andy01 Member

:thumbup:

It all depends on the bottles :) There are some pretty average ports (tawnys) out there, and there are some pretty good ones.

As mentioned above I preferred my barrel to the Little Giant tawny and it was different (not necessarily significantly worse) than the Penfolds Father and Galway Pipe - they were smoother but the Father was a little "bland" so there was some pros & cons with it and my barrel. I think the Galway Pipe was the best of the bunch, but it is a $32 bottle (over $40/L).