1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Port Barrel

Discussion in 'Geek Grog & Homebrew' started by Ma Baker, Jul 5, 2008.

1. kukulkan

kukulkan Member

I guess you could use cask strength whisky, but I certainly wouldn't be willing to risk such a large quantity. You usually only get high quality single malts at cask strength. I think this would be a better experiment for those producing their own malt based spirits (in NZ of course).

2. hathro

hathro Member

Necro time.

Ma, how is the port going years on?

3. OP
    OP
    Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

The small barrel that I bought from eBay wasn't up to scratch so it now cut in half and is serving as two plant pots.

The large port barrel we bought is fantastic. I have never like port but now drink a glass almost every night before bed. Sometimes we draw off a decanter and fill it and leave it for a while but it's painful waiting. Definitely something we always look after. :thumbup:

4. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Second revival.

After a trip to the barossa, I remembered how much I love port. Picked myself up a nice white port from Dorien Chateu, but am looking at getting myself a little port barrel. Anyone been using one recently? The best price I can see at the moment for a proper oak barrel is this.

I considered a s/h one, but I think it would be nice to develop your own flavour from the start. Any other recommendations for small barrels?

5. OP
    OP
    Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

2 litres isn't very big for a port barrel. It's surprising how quickly you drink it once it's developed and smoother. You have to top them up regularly and that affects the taste. Once it gets to a nice taste we tend to draw a bottle off and then drink that whilst the new top up is developing. We do also drink it from the barrel, well you have to keep checking how it's doing :Paranoid: . I'd suggest at least a 5 litre one minimum.

6. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Thanks Ma, I was looking at the 2L purely for size issues, but the 5L is only 40mmX60mm bigger than the 2L, So will definitely look at that.

My mate has a 5L one he is wanting to get rid of, but I have a feeling it will be alot of work to bring it back if it doesn't leak as he said it had port in it "once upon a time".

EDIT: He used to work at a winery and informed me he has all the stuff to clean it (sulfur etc) so still could be a possibility i guess.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  7. OP
    OP
    Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

The second hand one we bought ended up as plant pots. :( Didn't matter what we did we could detect a musty smell.

Hopefully because he worked in a winery the barrel would fare better. You really shouldn't ever let them dry out though, we top our up regularly.

8. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

9. OP
    OP
    Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  10. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

To update, my gf bought me a 5L keg full of aged tawny from Horndale Winery for xmas! However, the tawny is way too fruity for me, so i'm on the hunt for something new with a much more mellow flavour. The grant burge aged tawny I bought in a bottle ($16) is much more to my liking, so thinking I might order 5l of Tawny through them :)

EDIT: Anyone have recommendations on a good nutty/caramel type port, with less of a fruity taste? really keen to get some nice stuff in my keg aging!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  11. Scoobth

Scoobth Member

I have been using Peter Lehmanns Muscat and Port, they are both quite mild while young and mature with age. I think it was about $4 a Litre BYO container or purchase mini jerry style containers there.

My 14L Keg has 2 year old Muscat in it and is aging nicely. :thumbup:

My advice to new keg buyers ... Bulk port/muscat is cheap... buy a bigger keg. 10+ Litres

Edit: Just found my original thread on the Auswine forums ... My keg is almost 6 years old :D Heres some further reading if anyones interested.
    http://forum.auswine.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6782
    http://forum.auswine.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=10968
    http://forum.auswine.com.au/viewtopic.php?t=11502

Last edited: Mar 4, 2013
  12. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

So after a cruise around Mclaren Vale sampling the local port, I came across a Hardy's outlet, only to find they were out of the tawny. I happened to mention that I was looking for something to put in a barrel, and the next minute the lady appeared with a bottle of cleanskin tawny. The port was very young, but the fruit flavours were very mild, and with just a tiny tiny hint of nut on the end. Ended up picking up a dozen bottles for the tidy price of $60 after considering that this would be nice to develop.

I drained the current stuff into a plastic container and gave it to my gf's father who likes the Horndale, and 7 bottles went perfectly into the barrel, leaving me with 4 to top up, and 1 bottle to keep as a control in the future to see how the flavour matures!

13. roomandu

roomandu Member

best port I have ever tasted was a 10-15 year old tawny that i found in a half cask at DeBortelli Vineyard back in the very early nineties when on a driving course with the army. Was about $12 n grabbed a few back then which made fora bloody rippa poker night with no hangover the next day.
    One that is a nice drop now is 'BOOKMARK CREMA', very smooth for a cheapie and comes in glass :thumbup:.
    Also highly recommend keeping an eye out for some of the cleanskin W>A south bottles. Surprisingly easy on the palate and pretty good on the ole headbone the next morning ;).

14. OP
    OP
    Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

We put Buller Tawny Port in ours and every so often we add 250ml Brandy. We leave ours for quite a while before touching it. We then draw off a decanter of Port and top the barrel up again, leaving it to mature.

15. disco frank

disco frank Member

mine has been sitting since winter

i have thrown all sorts of booze in it

there is some de bortoli tawny port ( 4 ltrs from cask )
    some brandy, sherry, last drops of some scotch and bourbon

and it was awesome!

cant wait for it too cool down and to have some after 12 months!

16. OP
    OP
    Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Hope you've been checking it as it does evaporate.

17. yoda123

yoda123 Member

My dad has had his port barrel for something like 12yrs now, just puts his own mixture of bottles into it and lets it mature. Tastes amazing what comes out of it!!

18. DeathRider_au

DeathRider_au Member

General consensus is that you should never put brandy in with your port, and this is from the winemakers themselves. It will strip away all the work your barrel has put in to aging the port.

19. newynut

newynut Member

I thought Tawny port was already wood matured.

Wouldnt it be better using vintage port that has been aged in the bottle for barreling.

20. disco frank

disco frank Member

interesting as when i got my barrel t had recipes for port and brandy was one of the ingredients