1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Port Barrel

Discussion in 'Geek Grog & Homebrew' started by Ma Baker, Jul 5, 2008.

1. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

I'm thinking of sending my barrel away somewhere so I can leave the port long enough to really change. A mate from work hadn't touched his for 2 years :shock: and tried it the other day and said it was fantastic.

2. OP
    OP
    Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

We dropped in to Rutherglen today and picked up 20 litres of Buller Tawny Port. We're going to empty the barrel in to bottles as it's gorgeous to drink now and fill the barrel fresh with this and some brandy. Won't have to touch it for months so it will be really nice by the time we get around to drinking it. We'll also have plenty of port for top ups too. For some reason I thought we had a 10 litre barrel so thought we'd get 20 litres so we have some to top up. Now we're home we realise it's a 5 litre barrel so have a lot to use to top it up. :lol:

3. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

What bottles do you use Ma? Just a swing top style? Do you bother to sterilise them first?

4. OP
    OP
    Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Yes we wash them really well. We have a couple of decanters and some empty whisky/brandy bottles. Hubby used to make home brew so he knows how to wash them, I leave it up to him.

5. scrantic

scrantic Member

6. OP
    OP
    Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Their 2-3 year old bulk port is a pretty good price. Cheaper than we paid at Buller although not sure how old the Buller is. The bulk Buller tastes nicer than the bottled that we've used previously to top up the barrel, when the place we used to get the bulk from ran out.

7. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

The mate i mentioned earlier gets his bulk from Horndale Winery, which is only about 15 mins from my house. I personally don't like their bulk port, but I have tried a few of there bottled ports which are all great, but by far the best is this stuff
    http://www.horndalewinery.com.au/wine_descript/palomino_front_tokay.html

It's just a little thicker than your average port and goes down like warm honey. Not cheap @ $30 for a 375ml bottle, but well worth it.

An order form can be found on their website too if anyone's interested.

8. 0M39A_1337

0M39A_1337 Member

The tap on my barrel broke a few months back when I went to try some to see how it was aging. Will get around to replacing it one day ;)

9. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Lol the sooner the better!

I've turned my keg around so the tap faces the rear to stop myself drinking it :p.

10. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Revival, guessing we don't have many port drinkers on the forums :D

Seppeltsfield have a community special at the moment, $65 for a dozen clean skin VP (I think it's their 90% Shiraz/10% Touriga), with free postage.

Also grabbed a bottle of chocolate port from the local markets the other day, it had an interesting taste and I reckon it will be good around xmas with some pudding/fruit cake etc.

Another i'd recommend if I haven't already it a white fortified from Seppeltsfield called "The Schluck". It's really good and reasonably priced.

11. HeXa

HeXa Member

thanks!

didn't know they had community specials

EDIT: anyone know how much their 10L and 20L barrels are? After reading the community benefits, think I might make a detour there on the way to Adelaide :D

Last edited: Nov 14, 2015
  12. technoir

technoir Member

Sweet, just ordered a dozen! $65 with free delivery seems like a damn good price. Also keen to know prices of the Seppeltsfield barrels. Shame they're not available to buy online :(

13. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

I don't imaging they'd be cheap, somewhere between $350 and $600 for 10 and 20L respectively would be my guess, going by prices of other kegs.

Yeah, I'm not sure it's very popular, from previous experience it's almost like a thicker version of a wine, people drink it expecting it to be sweet like a port.

14. OP
    OP
    Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Yikes! I'd un-subscribed to all threads when I went on holiday and didn't realise there was any replies.

Like the sound of the clean skins. :thumbup:

I've just order 20 litres of their tawny to top up our 5 litre barrel, yes we do love our glass of port. Delivery was going to be $13 but then I decided to add a dozen of the 375ml clearskins and that wiped the delivery out so very happy with that. The 20 litre is cheaper than we've been paying for our barrel so fingers crossed we enjoy it. We like Seppeltsfield Port so we think it's worth the risk. The clearskins we'll try it and if we like it we may make some labels up and use them as gifts for people on our 40th Wedding Anniversary. I say may as if we like it a lot it might not last that long. :lol:

15. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

What age did you get ma for the 20L? The 10-15 year old is awesome and can drink it straight from the "flagon", but the 2-3 year old needs some time in a barrel. It's not horrible, but just hasn't got much character.

16. OP
    OP
    Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

We only went for the 2-3 year old as we'll leave it in the barrel for a while and add some brandy to it. If we needed to drink it straight away we'd have gone for the dearer one.

Have you tried the 2-3 year old one in a barrel? If so, how long did you think it needed? We tend not to touch it for around 3 months minimum.

17. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

I'm not the best to judge, as my keg was made from new wood, and as such has been very slow to impart it's own flavour on port. I can definitely notice a difference after a couple of months, but it's nothing like my FIL's 10 year old barrel. I also tend to drain it too often. I wish I had a 10L instead of a 5.

18. OP
    OP
    Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Ours was new wood as well. We've just found the brandy helps. We leave it for 3 months then we bottle it all and fill up with new again. Must admit I wouldn't mind a 10 litre then we could fill the 5 litre with it and just keep adding to the 10 litre. It would cost a pretty penny though for a 10 litre one though. I think we paid over $200 for the 5 litre one.

They've got some 9 litre barrels [Link removed as we returned it] here for $175 which is the cheapest I've seen. Not sure what they'd be like though. I think we'll stick with the 5 litre and bottle it as we have been doing as it's been working well.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
  19. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Yeah they definitely aren't cheap. I've considered buying a "vial" of the 100 year old from Seppeltsfield and adding that to it for some flavour :D

20. OP
    OP
    Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

OMG I wouldn't add it, I'd just drink it lol

Last edited: Nov 17, 2015