1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Port Barrel

Discussion in 'Geek Grog & Homebrew' started by Ma Baker, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Andrew357

Andrew357 Member

I've been reading this thread with interest and I must ask...

I'm a rare drinker so when I drink I tend to pay a little more than average for a bottle (Penfolds Grandfather and Draytons 21 yr old were my last 2 bottles). Would there be much use in buying a 5-10L cask, throwing in some cheapish Port and just leaving it there for a few years with the occasional top up?

2. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Yes, but only if its what you're interested in. Is the port going to be better than a company that has aged it's port in barrels that are decades old? Not initially. But over time, the barrel turns port into something magic. I keep going back to my FIL's keg in this thread, but his port is better than anything i've ever had from the store, apart from the 100 year old. However it's taken 10 years to get his keg to this stage. The upside is you can say "its my port", rather than giving the winery all the credit :D

3. Andrew357

Andrew357 Member

Ahh I see. Probably something I will do then.

I bought a bottle of a 1998 Yalumba wine in 2005 and kept it until 2013 (with no real cellaring process) when my brother got married. It's not something I'd turn to in a hurry but as you say it's the 'my port' thing which is kinda cool.

4. OP
    OP
    Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Since having our port barrel we drink more port than we ever did, in fact I didn't touch the stuff, that has certainly changed. :D

5. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

haha same here, i really need to let mine sit for a while.

6. OP
    OP
    Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

We bit the bullet today and order a 12 litre barrel. $215.10 delivered, cheaper than when I bought hubby the 5 litre one. I knew it was dangerous subscribing to the thread again. :lol:

7. psychobunny

psychobunny Member

Glad the OCAU collective could be of service

8. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Let us know the quality when it arrives Ma, I'm looking at one myself, once to CFO agrees :)

9. OP
    OP
    Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Just shy of $400 all up. :wired: Need to pick up some brandy for when we're ready to barrel it. We spend far too much on alcohol!

Will do. To start with we'll keep port in both of them then once the 12 litre improves we're thinking of doing Muscat in the 5 litre one.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  10. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Do you find the brandy makes a difference/is needed?

I'm looking at turning my small 5l into a white port barrel and using the bigger one as a tawny barrel.

11. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

Anyone into any of the other fortifieds?

I started on Ports, but now my tastes have moved over to the Muscats now.

Bullers Fine Old Muscat is a very good drop for only $20 at Dan's.

12. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Yep, definitely. My mate mixes muscat and tawny in his 20L barrel. We have had quite a few of the varieties, especially from Horndale.

Horndale have some decent fortifieds

http://www.horndalewinery.com.au/wines_fortifides.html

13. OP
    OP
    Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

The place we bought our barrel from had their bulk port in a barrel to sell. They said they always added some brandy. Hubby tried it and loved it so we've only ever done it with brandy. As I say I've gone from never drinking port to having a glass, or two, 3-4 nights a week. Well worth giving it a try. I only buy cheap brandy and it really is nice port that we get out.

We're thinking of turning our 5 litre barrel in to a Muscat barrel in 4-6 months time. We've been looking at Dan's and they have 2 different flagons of Muscat for around $12 for 2 litres. We might try that to start with, again we'll add a bit of brandy as well.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  14. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

If you like the Seppelts Tawny Ma, they also do bulk muscat :thumbup:

15. OP
    OP
    Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Yes I saw that but it's around $20 a litre so a bit pricey. We might start with the cheap one and see what hubby thinks of it. On saying that though when we come to do it in around 6 months if he wanted better he'd get it, I do spoil him a fair bit.

Looking back on the thread the new barrel we bought is now just over 8 years old and we love every drop that comes out of ours. I went from never drinking port, never liked the stuff, to drinking it regularly. Hubby got me to try some that we had for tops up and then got me to try the barreled port and I was hooked. Honestly give the brandy a go, it might make all the difference you need.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2015
  16. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Received the VP on Friday and cracked a bottle that night. I like it. As I said above, don't expect a sweet port but more of a fortified wine if that makes sense. Only thing is 375ml disappears pretty quick :lol:

17. OP
    OP
    Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Had word last night ours should be picked up by Australia Post soon, it's been initiated. Looking forward to getting it, no rush though as the barrel isn't here yet. We'll definitely crack a bottle when ours arrives as well, will be interesting to see if I like it as I don't like red wine.

18. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

It took me a few sips to adjust, but after that I enjoyed it. It's definitely something different.

Their postage time has increased of late. I used to order bulk port on a Monday, and Wednesday it would arrive (considering the Barossa is only 100km from me. Now it's nearly always 14 days. I actually ordered books from the UK on the same day and they arrived before the port :tired:

19. OP
    OP
    Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Our barrel has just arrived. Have to say we're not over happy with the quality. The Tubbies one we have is perfect, so I suppose we've been spoiled. Hubby has filled it with a third water up to now and it's leaking a lot so we'll see how it goes.

Edit: Well the barrel had a couple of drips but very minimal and it's stopped completely now so happy with that. Our Port is on it's way so hopefully it will be here by Wednesday so we'll be filling it up when it arrives. We'll be filling the 12 litre one and our 5 litre one with exactly the same Port so it will be interesting to see the difference the new wood makes.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
  20. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Any chance of a pic when you get some time Ma?

What is disappointing about the quality? Is it purely because it was leaking, or just the workmanship in general?