1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Port Barrel

Discussion in 'Geek Grog & Homebrew' started by Ma Baker, Jul 5, 2008.

1. TGS

TGS Member

Tokay, now called Topaque around most places is another fortified to try. If the Muscat is like christmas fruit cake, the tokay is like a butterscotch pudding.

Seppelt DP57 if you want to try it.

Seems to need a bit of research to find it in bulk, I know Stanton and Killeen do it though.

2. OP
    OP
    Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

We'll grab some later and I'll post them up.

No the leaking is fine, you expect that, it's stopped leaking already. The stand is rough, hasn't been sanded nicely. Just generally the way they've but it together. Our Tubby one is perfect, obviously machine finished, this one looks just hand finished and a bit rough. Was definitely expecting better when we ordered it.

Thanks for that, butterscotch sounds right up my street, although I think hubby would prefer the Christmas fruit cake. I think he'll win as I'm more than happy with the port.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2015
  3. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

Seppeltsfield sell it in bulk also
    http://www.seppeltsfield.com.au/shop/fortified-wines/cellar-home/cellar-home-tokay/

4. TGS

TGS Member

:thumbup:

Was there only a couple of weeks ago but was showing friends from NT around and didn't even think to look for it.

5. OP
    OP
    Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Oh dear! This arrived earlier and we've been really good and not opened it until now. We're now doing a plain Penfold tasting, a clean skin tasting and our Port Barrel, which had Penfold's and Brandy in this time.

The Penfolds is blergh! The clean skin is yummy, and the barrel is yummier. I thought I'd write this up now before more tastings get done. Luckily I've already cooked some Gammon up for dinner otherwise I think it would just be a block of cheese between us.

We thought about having the cleanskins as bombineries next year for our Anniversary but hubby thinks we need to buy another dozen as he doesn't think we'll have any left by September. Decisions, decisions!

Last edited: Nov 27, 2015
  6. TGS

TGS Member

Gammon! You must be a pom. Served with chips?

7. OP
    OP
    Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

HaHa! Yes. We didn't have any pineapple, and both of us had been drinking, oops! Hubby had egg though. :thumbup:

Aldi have Gammon joints in at the moment and OMG it was beautiful. We'll be stocking the freezer up that's for sure.

Mmmmm! Port. Our Seppeltsfield Port arrived today so tomorrow we'll be emptying the small barrel and filling it with Port, and Brandy of course.

Our big barrel is on it's way back as they've agreed to exchange it. Looking forward to getting the new one. :thumbup:

Meanwhile hubby has the fancies on for another pack of the 375ml Port. I've sent them an email asking the best way to store it as it's no good buying it if we can't store it properly now the warmer weather is coming. Hopefully it's still on special when they get back to us.

8. TGS

TGS Member

You're all good if it is a screw cap, within reason of course. You might get some accelerated aging which is no problems if it hits the gullet in 2 years!

9. OP
    OP
    Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

No it's cork. We have a wine fridge, well at the moment we have 2. We're supposed to be emptying the smaller one to sell but it's a slow process, we buy far too much. :lol:

10. hsvguy

hsvguy Member

I figure Seppelts have been storing barrells in their roof for 100 years with no ill effects, so a couple of years in a wine rack in a house shouldn't do much harm :lol:

11. OP
    OP
    Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

They said best to keep it in the wine fridge so we've managed to squeeze it in. We've drank 2 bottles so far, it's nice. Goodness knows when we're going to be selling the small fridge. :(

12. OP
    OP
    Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Well once they saw the barrel they issued us with a full refund which we're very happy about. I won't post the pictures as they did the refund straight away and also paid for the returned postage. I have removed the link though.

We now have a 15 litre Tubbies barrel filled with water after arriving today. Cost us $371 posted so an extra $156 but well worth the difference. The 10 litre would have been $30 cheaper but we felt for the difference we might as well get the larger size.

Can't wait to fill it with port. :weirdo:

13. TGS

TGS Member

Sounds good. I missed the conversation with the barrel you had before. What brand was it?

I've got an old 15lt Keg Factory and a 5lt Tubbies and they are both well made. From memory the 5lt Tubbies didn't leak a drop during swelling stage.

14. OP
    OP
    Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

I'd rather not say as they were good with the refund. I would advise people to save a bit more and pay that bit extra though.

Our 5 litre was the same and so far the 15 litre one is just as good. Think hubby will be putting the port in it tomorrow, if we hadn't been out a fair bit today I think it would have gone in tonight.

15. OP
    OP
    Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Hubby is filling the barrel right now. We're adding a full bottle of brandy to this one. Here's a picture of the two barrels on the bar. Just to the right of the unit in the bottom corner is the wine fridge that was supposed to be sold when we took delivery of the large one. Hmmm!

Click to view full size!

This one is his bar.

Click to view full size!

Not in the picture is another corner unit on the opposite side with his nicer whisky collection. I swear we could open a bottle shop lol.

16. Falkor

Falkor Member

I think you're gonna need a bigger bar! :lol:

17. trevor68

trevor68 Member

Just in case it wasn't covered in this longish thread, anything over 16% Alcohol is basically self-preserving and will never go off from oxidation.

Nice barrells BTW, i should take a pic of my Hogshead converted to a Bar one day.

Many years ago I was cleaning out the Yenda McWilliams Cellar and found riddles still full of 1972 Vintage Port. After enquiring and discovering I could purchase them for Staff at $20 a bottle they vanished pretty quickly. :p

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
  18. OP
    OP
    Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

I think if we ever win tatts we'll build a house with a cellar in it, that would keep him happy.
    Yes post pictures. :)

What a score, goodness I'm shocking and love a bargain, which is why we have so many wines.

Other wives get told off for their credit card purchases, I get encouraged to use mine as much as I want. I wonder why????

19. trevor68

trevor68 Member

20. OP
    OP
    Ma Baker

Ma Baker Retired

Nice. If we had lots of get togethers, we don't as much now our kids have grown up, I'd love some of the tables made out of barrels. Again if we win the lotto, it would happen.