Porting Prepaid Number

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by ausduckz, Apr 2, 2017.

1. ausduckz

ausduckz Member

My mother is currently using the old school flip/clam shell phone on the Telstra Simplicity prepaid sim.

She's said she wants to start using a smartphone, which I said she'd want to start looking at others plans/prepaids, given the bit of data she'd then be using. I've got her an 64GB iPhone 5S which I bought off a work mate (for $50 :D after replacing the screen protector with a decent spigen one, and a bit of a clean, it looks brand new), and I'm thinking she'd be best off on the Aldi $25 prepaid plan.

But, no matter where I port her number to, they will be asking for her account number. Where do I find this for her, given that she has a prepaid sim, and from what she can remember, doesn't have any paper work in relation to it.

Thanks for any help.

2. Beanz

Beanz Member

If it's through Telstra, you can browse to http://m.telstra.com from the device (if it has a browser). Otherwise, can you hotspot off it?

There is definitely an account number that relates to the phone number and SIM and you will find it on the same website used for topping up.

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  3. Renza

Renza Member

As she's coming from a prepaid service, the only information they will require to process the port request will be a) the service number (04xx xxx xxx) and b) the date of birth of the account holder.

The port will succeed as long as those two match. You can change names and whatever, it will still go through.

4. Asteroid

Asteroid Member

Yep I've done it heaps of times, the above is correct. The only difference I've found is porting prepaid to prepaid tends to take a couple of days, but prepaid to postpaid took barely an hour lol.

5. sanjay

sanjay Member

just remember if going with aldi because it uses the telstra network (needed for coverage in rural and regional areas), remember aldi uses a gimped up, limited version of the telstra network - and that you might be better off on optus or an optus reseller if you want an affordable solution with decent 4g coverage and data allowances.

also note that regardless of whether you go with telstra, optus or a reseller of either, you would then need a phone with band 28 for full regional 4G coverage (the iphone 5S doesn't support band 28).

6. Renza

Renza Member

prepaid to prepaid for me is just as fast if you are switching networks (e.g. Optus MNVO to Telstra MNVO). If you are going from two MNVOs under one network then that's when things take a bit longer.

7. X-ZemPt

X-ZemPt Member

I recently ported two Telstra prepaid to Kogan mobile. Only needed phone number and basic details of account holder to transfer via online form. Transfer completed in about 30 I'm both cases.

8. OP
    OP
    ausduckz

ausduckz Member

By gimped up, are you refering to the Telstra wholesale network? That's my understanding that Aldi uses. We are in regional Victoria. I know a couple of people that are the Aldi, and they don't have any issues around here.

She doesn't really want to spend too much. Wouldn't be using much data, but the peace of mind of having unlimited talk and text would be beneficial. $30 per month would probably be the most she'd want to pay. I see Optus have a $30 plan with 2GB data. Might be worth looking further into.

I just haven't really thought much about Optus, given I always thought in terms of coverage in rural and regional areas, Telstra were much better. Is this not the case these days? Has Optus put a lot more towers up around the place?

Thanks.

9. sanjay

sanjay Member

i do. look at the coverage maps, you will see that it is very much telstra-lite. those friends who are OK with aldi mobile are probably also likely to be happy on optus.

theyve put lots more towers up but they're all 700mhz 4G towers, so you will need a phone that supports 4G. i am amazed by optus' coverage across regional victoria - as an entirely anecdotal example, i was getting full bars of 4G at the top of mt sturgeon a few weekends ago. :)

I pay $40 a month for unlimited calls, texts and 10gb data on optus.

that said, if you go with any optus reseller (amaysim, jeenee mobile, vaya, OVO etc) you get access to the full optus 4G network - not a gimped up, speed and coverage limited "wholesale" version of it. you'll get a lot of bang for your buck on one of the resellers.

10. OP
    OP
    ausduckz

ausduckz Member

Thanks for your clear information.

I've looked at the model number of the iPhone, and then looked at the specs on the Apple website which are:
    Model A1530*: UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1900, 2100 MHz); GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz); FDD-LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20); TD-LTE (Bands 38, 39, 40)

So after looking a bit on whistleout, Vaya seem to have some decent priced plans, will the iPhone I've brought work with Optus? I'm not too concerned about full speed 4G, as remember, it is for the old girl and I'm sure for what she'll use it for, won't really effect her.

11. X-ZemPt

X-ZemPt Member

All iPhone in Australia should be carrier unlocked (since 3GS) if that is what you are asking.
    My wife is using her 5C with Kogan (Vodafone 4G) with coverage on par if not better than Telstra in the area we live.