Possible scam. Phone call from Microsoft Security

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by rexxxy, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

I've had a few recently. One while I was at my mum's and one when I was playing with my son at home.

I strung them along both times for about 20 minutes each before I got bored and told them that they weren't going to get anywhere with me. The joyous swearing at me that I received afterwards I should have recorded.

Next time I'm going to string them along and tell them after a certain time that I've traced their call and that I'm working with as a part of an International Cooperative anti-fraud team and that local authorities will be coming shortly to their door.

2. mike-s

mike-s Member

I got a call recently and my wife answered and got silence and handed the phone to me and said that they hadn't said anything and might want to talk to me. Confused I took the phone and heard the audible delay as the call finally connected and was immediately wary.
    As soon as they said they were from windows I just interrupted then and said they were wasting my time and hung up on them.

I told my missus about the funny delay those calls often get on connecting and it wasn't someone being weird as well as whom it was.

A waste of my time indeed, they interrupted me playing with my son.

3. Recharge

Recharge Member

Heh, just got a call.

*indian* "sir, this is an urgent call from windows support team about your windows 7 operating system"

"Mate, I'm a technician"

*2 second pause*

*beep beep beep*

:lol:

they're still trying, and people are STILL falling for this shit.. amazing :sick:

4. power

power Member

yeah I've had a couple over the last couple of months, strikes me as a bit sad that anyone still falls for this shit.

5. de_overfiend

de_overfiend Member

they have been doing the rounds in my area posing as TELSTRA

Lots of people are with Telstra, and some with half a brain will think:

" my line is with "whoever" but they rent the lines from Telstra so maybe they are legit... heres my credit card and my first born as a down payment"

spread the word ppls they are the same company posing as "insert telecom or major software company here" and will scam your friends and family

6. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

I want one to ring up so I can say "Yeah thanks for your timely call, I got hit with Cryptolock and there is absolutely no way of accessing my computer.. can you fix it"

7. DefoBryso

DefoBryso Member

Next time someone gets one of these calls and is patient enough, accept their help and say, yes yes I had a call last week from someone pretending to be from X (Symantec? something, whatever) and I think they put a virus on my computer and it's doing all sorts of weird things. Can you help??
    See if they commit to the call or bail because they've obviously been outted.

Report back please :)

8. AthlonMan

AthlonMan (Banned or Deleted)

I love their escalation process. They just pass the phone to the next idiot!

9. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

They always seem to call at a time now when I'm just unable to get to the phone by a few seconds :(.

10. watto86

watto86 Member

Do they leave messages?

11. Bold Eagle

Bold Eagle Member

I put on some dumb accent and then play with them for a while:
    - Windows yes I have windows I have very big Windows!
    - you want to clean my windows?
    - Yes Yes I have windows many windows.

String them along to explain about PCs and OS and I like my windows.

Have had them swearing and carrying on and slamming phone down.

12. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

Nah the line stays open when the answering machine answers, you hear background noise then it drops the line.

13. mazmorbid

mazmorbid (Banned or Deleted)

I just sigh and hang up, don't have time with this sh*t.

14. neoprint

neoprint Member

They've called our workshop a few times. We're a computer shop.

It's great, we've got a couple of VM's sitting there ready to go :D

15. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

What do they end up doing once they get it? Nothing?

16. watto86

watto86 Member

So how do you know it's them?

17. cbb1935

cbb1935 Guest

You hear them in the background talking :)

18. CAPT-Irrelevant

CAPT-Irrelevant Member

They still seem to be evolving with who they pretend to be. A friend of a friend of mine said she got a call from "Toshiba" support. She was on the phone with them for 1 hour and let them remote into her PC, but realised what was happening when they took her to a web portal demanding her credit card details.

19. ABEIQ

ABEIQ Member

Best one i ever got was when i was working in my local computer shop. i answered they instantly said theyre from microsoft, they continue to tell me that my computer is sending them distress signals and that it is infected. i ask them which one, they say that its the one with such and such id, and i say sorry sir, out of the 10 computers that are in front of me right now, none have that id, are you sure its coming from this location. he replies "how do you know none have that id" me ... because youre calling a computer shop ... BEEP BEEP BEEP funniest thing i have ever heard. he mad

20. power

power Member

What a twist!

hahaha, this shit only gets funnier

Public warning victims of the “Microsoft scam” or tech Support Scam are defrauded a second time

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.