Possible scam. Phone call from Microsoft Security

Discussion in 'Windows Operating Systems' started by rexxxy, Apr 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. juscal

juscal Member

Quoted for truth. My dad goes on and on about how safe Mac's are and my response is the same every time. Yes, and it's because they aren't as mainstream as Windows. If Windows and Macintosh were head to head, with equal fanbases, and equal amounts of software, users and abilities (not the core OS, but in light of how Mac can these days run Windows or something like that - shows how much i pay attention) then there would be a decent amount of shit happening to Mac's aswell.

I really think it's about time the media did something useful for once rather than runnig "OMFG OPRAH GOT OFF HER FAT ASS AND CLIMBED A BRIDGE" headlines, and instead run something such as "New internet scam blah blah blah damn" and gives users a rundown.

2. Garido

Garido Member

My mum once told me she won the lottery in Spain. She was so stoked until I reminded her she never went to Spain, nor did she ever play the lottery there.

3. Fischbitz

Fischbitz Member

These turds rang me up for the third time this afternoon, only this time they claimed to be from some "security service". I let the guy jabber on for a while, then said my computer was in the shop getting an upgrade, his immediate respose was, goodbye. I quickly said to him, what do you mean, goodbye? He then went on with all this rubbish about my system being infected etc. Anyway, told him I knew it was a scam, called him a few choice names and hung up, geez do these people ever give up.

Cheers :D

4. Broden

Broden Member

You shouldn't abuse them. After all they know your number. They could just start flooding you with more calls.

I'm usually polite or I don't say anything at all. I have enough self control to not lose my temper.

5. Alex.W

Alex.W (Banned or Deleted)

Say to them that you have a MAC :p

6. Whicker

Whicker Member

My Dad got done by this too. I couldn't convince him it wasn't actually microsoft and if it was how would they know PC/Phone combinations.

7. qwertylesh

qwertylesh Member

No, say to them that you work for Microsoft and that your forwarding their phone number and any other details you've gotten off them to your companies fraud devision, and that they should seek legal representation because they're going to need it.

8. dav3

dav3 Member

my parents got caught by this last week, fortunately they stopped short at giving them their credit card details. they did however install team viewer on their PC so i'm not sure if they had a chance to screw with anything. i'll probably just reinstall the damn thing just to be sure.

9. deathsgt60

deathsgt60 Member

had 2 calls today from the same bloke within an hour.

first one was when i was on my work mobile (scam must be working to be calling mobiles now).

he did the usual you have a virus and you need to go to this site.

convo went something like:

me: so what am i going into again?
    him: you need to log into logmein.com
    me: .com.au?
    him: .com
    me: .com.nz?
    him getting furious: no dot com, just dot com, dot C O M
    me. DOT A U?

then he swore under his breath for about a minute or so.

a work mate was then like who are you talking to and i put it on speaker for him. and eventually got him into the convo:

luke: sorry about my friend he is a little slow with computers.
    him: thats is very good news to hear, now can you please go to this address?
    luke: what do i open it with?
    him: go into internet explorer or firefox
    luke: whats internetfirefox.
    him: go into fire fox.
    like: fire fox sounds like a virus are you a scammer?

we played around with him for about another 15 minutes and then opened up win7 in VM ware. and continued to log into logmein.

you should have heard him go off when he saw that we had 4 screens connected to the work computer with electrical switchboard design's all over it. and one an internet page for jokes.com

he then yelled : you have been playing with me this whole time? how can you understand all of that and not know fire fox is?

us in unison ( written on a piece of paper for the uneatable end) "we are smarter than you, we had fun wasting your time".

him: yelling in phone then the best sound BEEEEEEPPPPPP

second call was just as funny

him: i am just calling to let you know you have a virus.... please go to this web site logmein.com
    me: dot A U?
    him: "oh this is bullshit" and hung up.

10. panman9

panman9 Member

nice work man

hopefully one day some of these shitheads will learn a lesson

Last edited: Jan 4, 2011
  11. kona_boy

kona_boy Member

Dude $300 a day is a decent wage ANYWHERE :lol:

12. trickma

trickma Member

The indian software developers we outsource to don't even make that in a week!

13. Dodge M4S

Dodge M4S Member

Wow so this logmein website gives them access to your shit like remote desktop? Love the VM idea. Make sure you have the most nastiest wallpaper or set it up to look like you work at a bank lol.

I find it funny how they lose their cool yet they are the ones trying to scam you.

14. dan77

dan77 Member

My brother called me earlier to ask if Microsoft monitored computers, he said that someone called and said they were from Microsoft and they had picked up issues on their computer and they should push a few keys to give them access. My brother asked for their number so that he could call them back and they hung up. He knows very little about computers so he called me.

If you don't know anything about computers you could get sucked in pretty easily thinking that they were nice people trying to help.

15. Xc0m

Xc0m Member

or maybe a fbi logo as your wallpaper :p

but i think with logmein it just shows a black desktop to save bandwidth

16. juscal

juscal Member

Goatse wallpaper. Someone do this and record the reaction.

17. PacketStorm4

PacketStorm4 Member

OMG, ive been waiting for these bastards to call me.
    Today was my day!

He told me to go to Run, i told him that i would have to put down the phone to do that and go outside.
    After a little more mucking around he yelled "You are idiot man!" and slammed down the phone.

They rang back.......
    After more, "where?" "can you say that again?" and being transferred to all different people we got into even viewer. i told him that there were no erros on my screen and that is said everything was OK? (in a n00b tone)
    i once again got "OK, go to hell now ok?" and slammed down the phone!

Classic!

18. CAPS LOCK

CAPS LOCK Member

got it today.
    Told me to go to run > eventvwr > windows logs > application logs and look for warnings and errors (i was surprised by how many there were!)
    next, he told me to go to run > inf files > and find a file called 1394 and asked me if there was a copy of 1394 with an extension of .PNF
    There was, so i was gulled into assuming this guy was legit.
    Next he asked me to go to run > www.support.me and wait while he generated a 6 digit code. I had typed www.support.microsoft before he had said .me , so when he did say it, that struck me as suss and dout of place.
    All the while he was doing this, a quick google, whois and .PNF extension lookup all led me to believe this guy didnt wasn't legit. He also didnt offer and security credentials for being at microsoft.

I think it's time Agg or scriby put out another warning on the front page :thumbup:

Funny info edit: They say they are based in Massachusetts and their address is 500 UnicornPark Drive
    edit edit: turns out its a legit company and a real place :S doing the scamming
    Triple Edit: LogMeIn is the login program, nvrmnd

Last edited: Jan 13, 2011
  19. Sniper

Sniper Member

These rang me mum and told her that her computer had been infected over the net.
    She told them they were a bunch of idiots and hung up on them, she's 79.
    She does have a computer, no internet on tho ;)
    A couple of weeks after that happened I got a similar call, I just told them to fuck off and hanged up.
    I know what I am doing, and know my computer is clean.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2011
  20. Creekin

Creekin (Taking a Break)

you just don't know how to speak english? :confused: fixed :p

:lol: JKJK!!! im no grammar nazi, i haz speakz teh engrish heaps gud!
    just too good to pass on that one, sry :)

go mum! :thumbup:

had these guys call a few of my customers, luckily i think i've edumacated them quite well re scams etc. waiting paitently for them to call me....muhahahha :lol:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.