1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Possible to fix keyboard scuffs on laptop lcd?

Discussion in 'Portable & Small Form Factor' started by ndt, Nov 9, 2021.

1. ndt

ndt Member

Bought a laptop and it turns out to have a line scuffed on lcd(matte) from the keyboard making contact with the screen. Any chance it can be buffed out or something or would the whole panel need to be replaced?

2. power

power Member

that's a replace job. good news for you is replacement screens are cheap.

what's the age of the machine? Sounds like a bit of a design fault.

3. OP
    OP
    ndt

ndt Member

Its a 2017/2018 HP Omen 17. Price was good, so I guess this was why, it's still useable but yeah the line is noticeable. Yeah, the lid of the laptop has a little bit of flex in the centre(its 17inch) so I guess if its in a bag or something it could make contact with the keyboard.

4. power

power Member

I would personally try and get a warranty from HP. You might get away with it. I'm sure you could make something up. That screen might not be as cheap as some but you'd be surprised what's on ebay.

5. slavewone

slavewone Member

I’ve used two methods to minimise scuffs.

I’ve used the Vaseline method on the spare tv the kids damaged and the alcohol method on a a family members laptop after a rub developed when they sandwiched something in there and then carried the laptop around. Not perfect, but improved thing to the point where we can all get over it.

This link says enough about them:
    https://homequicks.com/ways-to-fix-scratches-on-lcd-tv

6. OP
    OP
    ndt

ndt Member

oh nice, will have a read. Will probably see how I go with a warranty claim before trying to fix it myself.

7. pelmen

pelmen Member

There’s also polishing creams (even toothpaste) but I think you’ll end up with a wide blur line. Might be less noticeable also work out which keys did it and run some sandpaper on the raised portions to avoid it doing the same to a replacement screen. What about using an external screen if the laptop just sits on a desk most of the time and doesnt need to travel.?