Post paid or pre paid?

Discussion in 'Mobile Phones & Devices' started by josh_676, Dec 11, 2015.

?

Pre paid or post paid

1. Pre Paid

39 vote(s)
    52.7%
  2. Post Paid

31 vote(s)
    41.9%
  3. Candy

4 vote(s)
    5.4%
  1. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

Personally I just do the post paid thing these days. Contracts don't worry me in the slightest.

2. OP
    OP
    josh_676

josh_676 Member

Me either, saving money does though.

3. stenchlord

stenchlord Member

I use a stupid amount of data and I just needed the plan with the most data available.

I ended up signing onto the Optus $135 Plan which normally is 16GB data, unlimited calls and texts.

I signed on during a promotion which dropped the price to $100 per month and added 4GB for a total of 20GB data.

I got this with a phone Nexus 6P.

Cause my internet is with Optus they reduced the bill to $90/month.

Before this I was still Postpaid but not on contract.

Considering 4G is faster than my home network, I just have it set so that my phone never goes on WiFi and I never have to worry about my data anymore.

4. RyoSaeba

RyoSaeba Member

Pre-paid. And I only recharge when I absolutely need to. When my credit expires, I just leave it until I need to sms or call someone. Typically if I'm not at home, I'm at work. Both locations has wifi. I am driving in between those times. If my phone runs out of credit, it doesn't mean it stops working. It works fine on wifi and people can still call or sms me. I just can't make any calls or sms. But I can send imsg to iphones or simply whatsapp in wifi vicinity. So I can go weeks without recharge. And when I do need to recharge, it's all done through the phone in 20 seconds anyway.

5. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

Post pay doesn't necessarily have to mean contract.

I've been a Telstra customer for about 5 years now and recently I had wanted a better plan pricing so on enquiry and without any pushing whatsoever I was offered a BYO post pay plan with boosted data at the cost of $35 per month.

I was contracted for 12 month minimum stay period but that's not a problem because the network has the widest coverage and I've not been able to find any other provider providing anything with a similar price range. Once I'm off contract... I'll just buy an updated phone outright and keep the plan pricing. I'm saving money each month as it is already.

6. slashrox

slashrox Member

Postpaid with Telstra.

I always keep saying to myself that I will switch to prepaid after the contract is finished... Then I want to upgrade my phone (been about once a year) and pay the MRO and recontract. Regret it a month or 2 down the track. I'm stuck on this contract until October 2017 as I upgraded to an iPhone 6s.

This time, I plan to stick it out and maybe even pay out the contract once it's down to a lower price, or sell the phone and buy outright if I get tempted to upgrade. Then I'll switch to Telstra prepaid, they have better plans now than what I do on a contract!!

7. alexb618

alexb618 Member

postpaid is really for people who want to pay off a new phone every year or two. that used to be me until my latest and greatest phone just broke so i went and got a $120 low end phone which does everything the previous phone did anyway. real eye opener.

i am on postpaid but am definitely getting rolled by telstra, im on a business plan with unlimited sms and a huge $ value of calls but probably send less than 10 texts a day and make about 10 calls a week. will be going onto a very small plan or even pre paid once my contract is up.

8. dcyloo

dcyloo Member

I've just had a look at the pre-paid offerings from Telstra and unless I'm going to be doing a whole bunch of arithmetic based on estimations of my call patterns and general usage, I don't think I can find something better.

Best call option for me would be something like the $30-50 long term call plan as that'd last 6 months worth of credit. I'd have to do a comparison calculation of the flag fall fees as well as estimate my usual call duration to figure out how long it'd be before all the credit is used up.

Data wise though I'm a bit stuck. I'd probably need to take a $20 pack each month as I tend to use 1.5-2GB of data per month and this pack has a monthly expiry.

So even if I had a $50 per 6 months for my calls, that's still $8/month. With the data each month I'm on $28/month overall cost. Currently my post paid is $35/month to cover off my call patterns and 2GB of data. $7/month is the cost of 2 small coffees from a shop.

I think pre-paid could be good. Especially so for those who have been regularly re-contracting as what's been posted in this thread. It's not necessarily though the only cheaper option out there which isn't post-paid.

9. sanjay

sanjay Member

I'm pretty happy with my Optus postpaid plan, $40 per month, unlimited calls and texts + 10gb data which I share with my iPad and laptop through $5 (one-off fee) data sharing sims. :thumbup:

10. Smoothie

Smoothie Member

Jesus 10 gig for $40 - I am with optus granted the plan is 1.5 years old but im paying $60 per month for 5 gig

How did you get such a sweet deal?

EDIT - just saw they are currently doing a byo sim plan with double data..

Last edited: Jan 14, 2016
  11. sanjay

sanjay Member

12. [SweN]

[SweN] Member

we are limited to telstra due to network coverage. we are now both on $70 p/m unlimited contracts, data sharing sims, 12gb combined, BYO phones. mine however is paid for by work.

the killer is network coverage at home is poor, which bumps up the landline usage.

last time it was back to free to re-contract with telstra. they were changing their plans every 3-6 months, so being free it is worth reviewing once in a while.

13. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

You in a blackspot or something? Telstra coverage is normally pretty good.

14. OP
    OP
    josh_676

josh_676 Member

8 months later and still very happy with prepaid.

I have saved a bucket of money, I would recommend the jump to prepaid to anyone.

15. MR CHILLED

MR CHILLED D'oh!

I've done post paid for the last few years but looking to change over probably in the next year and go with a budget byo plan.

16. OP
    OP
    josh_676

josh_676 Member

I think the problem comes when you're addicted to the 'free' handset some plans offer.

17. v81

v81 Member

Was Optus postpaid
    Then Virgin prepaid
    Then NodePhone postpaid

Now back to Optus $40 BYO plan with unlimited calls and 10GB of data.
    Missus is on same plan and the data pools.
    So for $80 we have 2 sims with unlimited calls and 20GB of data to draw on.

It's not an advertised plan, Optus store set it up for me.

Aside from this there are a lot of attractive prepaid plans.

No concern for 'Free' handsets for me, they're usually loaded with operator bloatware and so on.
    Prefer to select the phone i want on my own terms.

18. slashrox

slashrox Member

After nearly 6 years on Telstra, I decided to switch to TPG (Vodafone). As a new customer, for the first 6 months the $34.99 has been discounted to $24.99. Unlimited Calls & Text and 10gb of data. Has been good so far. Not locked in either, so I'm able to leave when I like if I'm not happy with the service :thumbup:

19. OP
    OP
    josh_676

josh_676 Member

Is that prepaid? That is good value, how is the coverage?

20. slashrox

slashrox Member

They say it's prepaid, but it's basically postpaid without being locked in on a contract. They debit the money out of your account each month.

Coverage so far has been good, but then again I haven't really gone out to any rural areas lately, so I haven't been able to see. Around Newcastle & The Hunter it's actually not bad.