Post pics of your workbench/equipment/tools/junk

Discussion in 'Electronics & Electrics' started by dakiller, Mar 4, 2008.

1. dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

This hasn't been done for quite a while (I searched and didn't even find any previous threads though I think I remember one here somewhere) So it is about time we have one now

As the title says, post pictures of your workbench, equipment, tools, junk. Show off where you sit down to do DIY work, tinker with and fix things, build projects, all things electrical. Show your soldering equipment, multimeter, power supplies, oscilloscope, etc. I know some of you must have some interesting gear.

I'll make a start

[​IMG]
    Here's my bench, quite a mess but that's the way I like it. Bunch of measurement and test equipment on the left, my current project a CNC machine sitting there mostly done, and a heap of mess, cables, components and tools spread everywhere

[​IMG]
    Here's a better shot of that stack of equipment. On eBay there has recently been a bit of old but high end test equipment going real cheap and I've been getting a bit of the better stuff off there
    At the top we have an old Tektronics Scope, does 150mhz, doesn't work real well at power on and the trace flickers for 5min until it warms up and then its all good.
    Then the HP gear, the 5335A frequency counter and 3325A function generator are the 2 recent additions I got off eBay, costing thousands back when they were new I got for a couple of hundred each.
    The 3456A digital voltmeter I've had for a while now, sort of started my love of old HP gear. A digitising scope is next on the list

[​IMG]
    This is the parts draw stack I've built up. I got sick of having too many parts just lying around everywhere I couldn't find what I wanted when I needed so I just bit the bullet and bought a heap of drawers. Managed to clean up some of my mess :lol: Also pictured is my Hakko clone soldering iron.

2. Dorz

Dorz Member

WOW. simply WOW dakiller!!!

where did you get those component racks? i have about 300 assorted resistors here looking for a home :p

are they the sort of racks with 2 bays in each drawer you see in trickys and jaycar on the swivel stands?

and MORE DETAILS on that cnc machine!!! i would LOVE something like that, im guessing it does engraving, pcb cutting and engraving circuits, etc...
    how do you interface it to the pc? :D

here is mine, small but messy :D
    [​IMG]

from left to right,
    PC with a pcb sitting on top of it, weller soldering station, sitting on top of atx psu converted to benchmode power supply, magnifying glass and helping hands, soldering board with some braid, iron, pliers, screwdriver, solder, clothes and rawr a scary teddy with mask and jester hat, underneath is my spare (small 1ghz, 1gb ram, PARALLEL port for programing, serial port for programming) PC!

well, not so messy but not so occupied currently, i have just started uni :)

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  3. OP
    OP
    dakiller

dakiller (Oscillating & Impeding)

http://www.dse.com.au/cgi-bin/dse.storefront/en/product/H4587
    Pretty much all the details are spread through this thread (I should get some PCB milling this weekend, I'll post updates in there) - http://forums.overclockers.com.au/showthread.php?t=629209

I thought of not posting my stuff and letting a few others contribute before adding mine, thinking the thread would just be questions about my stuff and I don't want it to turn into that, so post your stuff guy's!

4. TMM

TMM Member

my shithole :p
    [​IMG]
    top shelf: paints
    middle shelf (L to R): components in a box, heatshrink, heat gun, various circuits on PCBs in a container, tubes from speaker ports, components in drawers.
    desk: soldering iron, solder, laminated piece of MDF to work on, assorted cables in snap lock bags, sandpaper, multimeter :p

Last edited: Mar 4, 2008
  5. Zef

Zef Member

Here's a few angles of mine...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. nudge

nudge Member

My minimal setup (from 2006) when i did my last project:
    [​IMG]

I was doing schematic/PCB capture, firmware development, and a small part of prototyping for a contract me and my mate picked up. I was based in Sydney, my mate based in Melbourne. We manufactured the board in Melbourne, and my mate rig construction, test, client liason as well as some schematic/PCB work. We both worked on the spec and design in conjunction with the client.

The PCB design you see on my laptop screen formed the main board shown in photos linked below, as did the DSP controller board:
    http://nudge.id.au/projects/civil/photos/

I want to get back into working on electronics projects... its been a while ;(

7. -KoMoD0-

-KoMoD0- Member

My bench used to look like dakillers + computer but I cracked the shits and cleaned it up (after spending 10 minutes looking for something only to tread on a piece of PCB when you stand up it starts to get to you) . The only electrical things on my bench are my power supply's (25A linear DSE model, 0-40v EA kit supply) and a parts draw.

Everything else has been stashed away in tubs.