Post your Foxtel deal

Discussion in 'Audio Visual' started by Stooge007, Oct 4, 2011.

1. Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

hi all

my contract with Foxtel ends shortly, and just wanted to get an idea on what other people are paying, so i can try and negotiate a better deal (i.e. threaten to disconnect until they give me a satisfactory deal)

standard packages are here:

http://www.foxtel.com.au/shop/packages/default.htm

i was on HD Gold paying $100 a month (only save $17/month) so would like a deal the same or better

i have been a Foxtel customer for almost 4 years now

so post your current (or recently negotiated deal) to help a brother out :)

PS - please no Foxtel bashing in this thread (e.g. omg you pay $100+ a month for TV, you idiot!)

2. di_entropy

di_entropy Member

i've been on gold HD for the last 6 months, first 3 months at $57, last 3 months at $115 (standard price), which averages out to around $86 a month

the 6 month contract is about to end so i'll ring up in a couple of weeks to try get it for around $80-85 permanently

before this i was on sports HD for $77 p/m

i haven't really been watching the extra movie channels, so i'll drop them if i can't get a reasonable price

3. timochy

timochy Member

1x iq2 box - hd channels
    5x iq boxes - no hd

all channels, $205 per month

4. Reanimated35

Reanimated35 Member

Basic + Sport + HD (Satellite) $80/mth (goes to $81 in November)

Haven't bothered to call them yet to get something better.

5. C0ncrete

C0ncrete Member

HG Gold + Non IQ multi room $100 a month

Plan on doing much better in a few months.

6. Ridox

Ridox Member

if you cancel you will get a call offering you a much better deal than if you try to bargain with them.

7. OP
    OP
    Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

that's a pretty standard price isn't it

have you asked for a better deal?

that's not bad

standard price on this would be $132 a month

how long have you been with foxtel?

have you done this before?

anyway, based on the above so far, i'm going to call them and ask them for Platinum HD and 1 x standard multi-room box for $100 a month (standard price of $147) and i'll offer to go on a 24 month contract

reckon they'll go for it?

otherwise i'll look at alternatives or cancel the thing altogether

thoughts?

8. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

All channels except adult & pay per view movies with an IQ2 box.. $10/mth.. (well, technically, we pay $10 for the IQ2 box, as foxtel is free)..

But then.. my wife works on the foxtel project so its a nice fringe benefit from her work..

Actually, i might ask her if theres any way to get stuff for cheaper, since theres a LOT of loopholes/bonuses when it comes to foxtel packages..

9. OP
    OP
    Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

please do, then PM me details :)

10. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

Goddamn wife.. she's in a grumpy mood today and is being particularly unhelpful.. she's unaware of any ways to scam cheaper foxtel.. :(

11. OP
    OP
    Stooge007

Stooge007 Member

thanks anyway :)

12. mshagg

mshagg Politburo

Yes. I was cancelling and they called up before the disconnection with some desperate offers. That said, they dont agree to anything permanent any more.

I got them down to the IQ2 with some extra channels for the same price I was paying on the shitty SD package. They'd only do it for 6 months before reverting to full price, so I walked.

13. devolutionary

devolutionary Member

2x IQ2
    1x IQ

All channels, HD etc

$170/mo

No, I haven't tried getting a better deal.

14. FFC

FFC Member

I pay $85 (was $84 until the huge $1 price increase).

IQ2 - Basic + Sports + HD (No movies, HD or SD).

Previously this was $100, but I was going to cancel and then decided to move it to my sisters place - $16 discount + free move + another free move when I move back to my own place.

The discounting runs out in January, but when I move I'll call them to say I am going to disconnect instead of moving it and see what they say to see if they can extend it another 12 months from January so I don't have to worry about it.

Not sure what my parents pay, but they get the best package. While the movies are handy to have over Basic + Sports HD, it's only really when you are flicking any can't find anything to watch that I'll watch them so not really worth the money considering what is available on the net.

15. fredhoon

fredhoon Member

I started on the $75 multi-room (IQ1 + standard box) family plan about 12mths ago, upgraded to a free IQ2 (no HD channels) during some deal shortly after. About 3 months ago I got the shits with it and dropped back to the basic package and gave back the 2nd standard box. Now that I am out of contract I have cancelled Foxtel all together, but keep the IQ2 box as a PVR & STB for $10/mth.

Not once during my calls to Foxtel did they offer to do me a better deal.

16. timsarg

timsarg Member

i was with them for around 6 years . After upgrading to the hd iq box i was unhappy with the lack of content . I was put on a open contract for $40 a month which i was happy with . They then put me up to $90 and i told them to stick it . They wouldn't give me a decent contract and due to being able to download anything on foxtel and watch it i cancelled the contract .

personally i dont think foxtel is worth it as the HD content is just repeated over and over again . Not enough new content for my liking and too many adds .

Foxtel in the old days used to be about the program and then a chunk of adds,now it's just like watching free to air .

If foxtel brought in a plan say $30 a month for the foxtel licence and then for say $2 a channel you can choose the exact channels you want and nothing more i would probably reconsider as i only ever watched sports channels, history and discovery channels.

17. Gus the Mus

Gus the Mus Member

1 IQ2 box
    1 IQ box
    All channels including HD except for movies and sport.

We've been paying $100/month.
    Cancelled it last weekend and they offered on the spot to drop it to $80 but we said no.
    Received a call yesterday with an offer to continue with the same package for $57/month. It was hard, but still said no. Just been and invested in two media players with dual tuners.

18. Beanz

Beanz Member

Wow.. I didn't realiuze Foxtel was so expensive! I can't believe people are paying upwards for $200 per month! :shock:

Really makes the time I spend moving a few files around in Windows explorer worth while! :p

19. Vladdo

Vladdo Member

I think with the advent of freeview there's little reason to get foxtel anymore, unless you have small kids or like sports. I know my wife would had no hesitation in cancelling it if she has to pay for it.

20. FFC

FFC Member

I'd say most people use it for sports, the other programs on there are good if you've got an hour to kill and want to watch something interesting (doco channels, tlc, etc).

Live sport > downloading it 3 days later when you already know the score.