1. OCAU Merchandise is available! Check out our 20th Anniversary Mugs, Classic Logo Shirts and much more! Discussion in this thread.
    Dismiss Notice

Post your Rate My Cables here!

Discussion in 'Modding' started by mustkill, Sep 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 192.168.0.1

192.168.0.1 Member

It's a cluster computer, all the nodes run a Redhat Linux OS (with openmosix kernel patch) which allows any single node to delegate work to other nodes. If you have a task that needs to be split you are able to achieve the power of 6 computers :) say your application is able to split 6 threads, for instance this was tested and outran a P4 3GHz by a factor of 2x at the same job (encoding 6 threads of WAV->MP3) it's main purpose is to only work on heavily threaded applications like lightwave etc. No real use but more a proof of concept for my HSC project :)

2. Hennels

Hennels Member

Sounds sweet. Were all the parts leftovers from school?

3. 192.168.0.1

192.168.0.1 Member

old boxen from around, i bought some and sourced others. I was going to try use them from school but the school doesn't deal with it's old hardware it sells it off. It would of been ideal but this system could be made today for about $250-300. But still you would be better of with 2 x Core 2's these days or a OC'd quad

4. samo

samo Member

Working with a Thermaltake Soprano heres my effort.

Recently had to cut out a section of the hdd bays to fit the GTX260 in!

[​IMG]

5. Tex Zero

Tex Zero Member

How do you plug in the leads for your monitor and soundcard with the I/Os facing down like that? :lol:

(yes, its a joke. I know the pic is rotated)

6. 180sxdrifterj

180sxdrifterj (Banned or Deleted)

oh damn, i was going to say haha not bad at all..

7. samo

samo Member

actually its lying flat on my kitchen table. :D

8. xinzhitan14

xinzhitan14 Member

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

changed my 7600GT sli's out for a 8800gt kindly donated from my brother haha. he got a HD4850 now -.-.

9. scottath

scottath Member

A little bit of an old photo - cables in the drive bay are now cloeaned up abit....
    [​IMG]

What do we think?

10. TMM

TMM Member

whats the deal with the stacked fans at the bottom? or is one gutted?

11. neon_87

neon_87 RIP

at least use black ties....

looks good tho... hell of alot of fans!

12. FuzzyKaos

FuzzyKaos Member

that looks pretty neat, maybe put something black over the pile of cables on the bottom right.

i like it!

13. archibaw

archibaw Member

Neat, but what's with the three fans strung above the motherboard. Is it possible to build a frame to house them. keep up the good work.

14. scottath

scottath Member

bottom most fan gutted (shroud) with actual fan on top.

15 fans in total there......

Cables at bottom left are now hidden by a hdd.....(those are the power (volt modding) for 3 of the fans...

I could try to make a frame out of Meccano - but cableties onto the heatpipes work well - i will get a more recent picture up soon

Also - i have no black cable ties that fit through the holes in the fans (do have BIG black cable ties though....

Mine looks one of the best *Full* cases.....those with full towers do not count.....heaps of space in them to hide stuff - but that cluster wins so far....that's heaps cool

Server room: :eek: Good luck finding anything....and i thought my room was bad........:p

Last edited: Nov 20, 2008
  15. Ephphatha

Ephphatha Member

Reposted from PCPP. I know I can do a better job, I'm going to be buying some cable sleeving and heatshrink over the holidays, pulling out the dremel, and attacking it. Does anyone know how PCCG's UV yellow sleeving kit actually looks? Most UV products I've seen end up being bluer than expected, so I'm thinking that should look ok in a blue/green themed case.

I need to fix how I mount the fans, I'll remove the HDD caddy since I'm not using it and work out some way of securing those fans to thin air...

First Post:
    I had a bit of a go at cable management the other day, but it's fluffing impossible. The PCIE power cables are too short, and all my HDD's I want up the back where the exhaust fans are (There's only two anyway. While I had three plugged in, one of the 320Gig drives was unused and waiting to be moved to the file server.) And... all except one of these photos is over the filesize limit for imageshack, and I can't be bothered compressing it with the gimp... You're getting 800x600 images of the innards :p

The light will eventually be stuck to the back wall, I just wasn't sure how to place it without risking crushing it when the door closed. Plus I need to make some sort of diffuser. And I really need to use clear tape instead of duct tape so it's not so obvious how it's stuck there. (I've since relocated the light to the back wall and hidden the inverter in the HDD/PSU support rail.)

[​IMG]
    The EL wire wrapped around that IDE cable no longer lights up. It's still plugged in, I'll unplug it when I can be bothered. (Did that today when I got home since I realised it was actually burning.) And you can see how bright that CCFL is, the flash on this camera is fluffing strong and yet the light still overpowers it somewhat. Lights up the room nicely at night.

[​IMG]
    There is still a massive rats nest of cables up here, but they're mostly against the back wall. The only things that suffer are the DVD-RW drives and the tray. I'd say around the time I next upgrade I'll cut down all those cable ties and do a proper job, they're only there to hide the fan cables (which I actually managed to do properly).

[​IMG]
    Looking toward the front of the case, this shows where most of the visible wires are run (ignoring the disgrace near the PSU). That fan is secured with cable ties, one cable tie between the front and rear screw holes, then another cable tie around that cable tie and the screw holding the fan below it into the HDD rack. I'll sleeve those wires when I can be bothered and when I have some cable sleeving. I'd say if I do that I'll also extend every wire that needs extending, and shorten every wire that needs shortening. I'd also say that this will likely never happen...

[​IMG]
    And with no flash. This shows just how overpowering that green light is, which is another reason it's lying down and not standing against the back wall where it would burn my retinas out.

If you really want me to I'll show you the rather dodgy job I did with my media server. (That one has 8 HDD's if I remember correctly.)

Next Post:
    It is with the current length of the cables :p I've listed what needs to be done, but I've also said I'll likely never do it :p

Edit: Here's the media server. You can probably see the HDD sitting on top that I have yet to add to it. This one is a bit of a shocker.

[​IMG]
    Wee sata cables going nuts. Well, every cable going nuts. This one gets some bling as well since I already had the 80mm green fans.

[​IMG]
    And this is a nice flat IDE cable blocking the airflow of one of the two input fans, the other is dying and blowing through the HDD's above. Now that I've actually plugged the fans in the HDD temps are sitting around 30-40C for the three that I get temp reports for.

16. OP
    OP
    mustkill

mustkill Member

ooh thats messy

17. OP
    OP
    mustkill

mustkill Member

check this.. caselesss......

[​IMG]

18. JuzIE

JuzIE Member

That looks, very safe.. haha. You should look at getting a case for that thing.

Here is mine as it stands. Im not going to bother cleaning it up until I get my new pc. Sorry for the bad quality photo too, it was taken off my 2MP Sony Erricsson phone.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 23, 2008
  19. xinzhitan14

xinzhitan14 Member

thats such a mess. 3/10 i'd give it.. you could do much better. cathodes tend to get in the way dont they? i had 15cm ones which didnt really get in the way of my hardware so it was alright.

nothing wrong with running a computer with no case. i did it with a cardboard box and it lasted more than 8 months till i got a new computer :p.

20. Coldplayer

Coldplayer Member

mustkill whats the thing on the psu?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.